RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Driver seat wearing out already at 3500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 10:38 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd
Look at any leather furniture, it has creases, that is part of the "appeal" of leather. It is not meant to nor will it stay in pristine condition. It ages with use in any car or on any furniture that is used at all.
i agree, but the thing that bugs me is not so much the creasing, but the fact the cushion material underneath is buckling and causing the shape of the seat to get warped. i can live with the creases, even as unsightly as they are.

obviously there is a tradeoff between soft leather and creasing (hence why mercedes and BMW use the hardest leather possible, which i don't like), but i can definitely say lexus is trying to rectify the situation on new models with stiffer side cushions for entering/exiting. our GS is almost 1 1/2 yrs old and the seat leather still looks brand new. so they will probably implement this in the next generation of RX's.
Old 08-01-06, 10:39 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts

A reader asks:

"What is '303', and why does it leave a better look than Armor-All? Also one more question please, what is the best thing for removing whitish marks on plastic on the extreior from waxing?"

From what I know, Armor-All leaves a shinny, somewhat greasy residue, although I also hear that newer formulations are not as bad as they used to be. It's UV protection is not all that good. Generally, it is not favored by professional or experienced detailers, who consider it a low-end consumer product. Visit http://autopia.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58 and search on armor all for more information.

303 is 303 Aerospace Protectant. It is highly regarded by detailers, but not well known outside the realm of the afficianados because it is was not originally designed specifically for auto use and is generally not sold in auto parts places like AutoZone. I started using it on the dash (black) of my SC430 in 2001. I learned of it because I was looking for something to protect the top of the black dash of the convertible from UV rays. It not only does that, but leaves a beautiful mat finish that looks like new. I also use it on all gaskets around doors and windows on both my cars (and the folding top on the SC) to keep them from breaking down. It's is also recommended for tires, because it keeps the sidewalls from breaking down from the UV rays. Learn all about it at
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

Highly recommended.

I can't help much with the last question, but that is discussed at the autopia forum cited above. I use Zaino instead of wax. It is a polymer sealant that is more reflective than wax and lasts far longer between applications. It does not leave traces on adjacent plastic trim, so that's a problem I don't have. (Learn about Zaino at www.zainostore.com)

My recollection is that some detailers actually tape off plastic areas if they are doing cars with lots of such seams (e.g.: Honda Element). Others use a toothbrush type tool (or a toothbrush) and something that breaks up the wax. Dawn dishwashing detergent will take the wax right off your car, so perhaps a small brush with stiff bristles dipped in Dawn would do the trick, but be careful to keep the Dawn off the waxed areas (tape them off???).

Try the 303 -- it's the greatest, and, if nothing else, helps keep the gaskets around all the doors soft and in good condition, which keeps wind, noise and water out, since these gaskets will break down eventually.

Last edited by tfischer; 08-01-06 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-01-06, 11:04 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best vinyl and plastic

cleaner and protectant hands down that I have ever used is Lexol Vinylex.

http://www.autogeek.net/lexsprayvin.html

See here for more info as well http://carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=13
Old 08-01-06, 11:18 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default warranty cover?

Does warranty cover the Leather? My RX has only 23K mileage.
Old 08-01-06, 01:18 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

i doubt lexus will cover the leather seats.. unless somehow they were poorly made or something..
Old 08-01-06, 01:50 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

tfischer,

I searched the autopia site and came across a thread asking how people clean their wheels. I was surprised how many use Armor All on tires, even among professionals. I thought Armor All causes brown discoloration on tires, or does it not matter with frequent applications and given that tires are wearable parts that would eventually be replaced?
Old 08-01-06, 02:56 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

I don't know about using ArmorAll on tires. Maybe those guys are just trying to find some use for it. I do know that ArmorAll says to put it on everything, and that suggests to me that it's not really good for any one thing, but is just not harmful to most things. I have not heard that it turns tires brown, but I do know that people spray it on tires in order to make them shine.

I do know that 303 is considered the best thing for the rubber in the tires, but in my experience, which is not great, "tire dressing" has always eluded me, because whatever you do, and you have a lot of options, and however good and shinny you get them looking, it's all gone in 20 miles anyway.

I picked up my RX last week, and they cleaned it up pretty good, and they did something (probably ArmorAll) to the tires, which are pretty new, and the tires looked just great.

For a day.

The only thing that makes sense to me is not to try to get them looking clean and shinny, since they are only tires and the mall parking lot is no Pebble Beach Concourse, but to put something on them that would actually do some good. 303 will block the UV light and protect the sidewalls from early deterioration from age and sun. I do not pay too much attention to this for my SC, because it lives in the garage all the time, but the RX is parked outside and does not get a lot of miles. These new tires could last me 5 or 6 years. If I think about it, I will try to hit them with the 303 at least a few times a year. I can't recall how frequently the mfgr recommends reapplications.

As I recall, there is a pretty detailed discussion on the 303 web pages somewhere which discusses why 303 is good for tires. I'll have to check that out again, because I forget the details.

I still don't think much of ArmorAll.

It's the Brylcreem of car care.
Old 08-01-06, 03:46 PM
srashid
Driver

'Armor All, it's the Brylcreem of car care'

That's a funny quote, especially as I always thought Brylcreem was an English thing, didn't know you guys in the US ever had it...

Anyway, I have to tell you I just checked my interior on which I used the Armor All 'Muli-Purpose Auto Cleaner' on and it looks great, not shiny at all, just clean and free of dust/marks. (I have the black interior).
Old 08-01-06, 03:58 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Yeah, we had Brylcreem for a while -- a little dab'll do ya.

As for ArmorAll, one more comment and then I'm off this topic. I'm not trying to bash the product, because I don't use it, although I used to. I'm just reporting what I think is the concensus of many car care professionals. My impression is that their opinion is that the stuff just leaves a shinny, slippery coating on the surface and does not do much good. They tend to prefer products that leave a more matt finish. Hence my reference to Brylcreem - it's greasy and shinny and quite out of fashion.

For a full report, go to the autopia car care forum and you can find enough posts there about 303 and ArmorAll and other dressings and protectants for rubber and vinyl to keep you reading all weekend long.

Which is too long.
Old 08-02-06, 09:37 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default ArmorAll= no UV protection which, just like

with your epidermis is what does the damage over time
Old 08-02-06, 09:44 AM
Machog
Driver

Default Leather Warranty

If the pipeing around the edge of the seat actually splits, Lexus will replace it under warranty.

You get a complete new "bottom" cover. Depending on how long you had your car it may not color match 100%, but I'll take that over the alternative. I had it done on my GS300 with 40k on it last year, just before warranty ran out.
Old 06-04-07, 01:27 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

To get back on topic:

For leather seats (and other leather surfaces), I use ArmorAll's "Leather Wipes". They are small sheets with leather cleaner and conditioner on it. I wipe down all my leather surfaces at least once a month. So far, so good...we'll see.

Old 06-04-07, 01:34 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 417 Likes on 366 Posts

Conditioning is the way, the only way to extend life. Creases will be there no matter what. Trying not to slide in....tricky.. easier said than done. I always try, but do not succeed.
Old 06-04-07, 01:36 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Lexor leather conditioner and cleaner to slow the aging but now my passenger side front seat is developing a crease similiar to my driver side three years ago.
Need to find time to do it again for the front seats on my RX again. Well if they crack, time for two-tone perforated seats with thicker leather...
Old 06-04-07, 08:36 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

My passenger-side seat looks exactly like lexuslover's one. That's from the passengers who insist on sliding off the seat, instead of hopping out, like how I do on my side. And I make sure not to brush my bolster every time I get in/out; I've seen what it does on my friends Pilot.

I think if you keep the seats conditioned enough, it will have less of a wrinkled look.

Quick Reply: Driver seat wearing out already at 3500 miles