RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Should I spend $1700 for the optional DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 06:18 AM
swerve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I spend $1700 for the optional DVD player?

I am considering getting the optional Rear Seat DVD Player system for a new 2007 RX350 I am about to purchase. The movies supposedly plays and can be controlled on the Nav screen upfront as well.
The system includes a 9" screen and two cordless headphones.

I am wondering if it is better to go aftermarket. Would I be spending a lot more? Would I be able to view the movie on the main Nav screen?
Old 05-17-06, 07:43 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an early '04 RSES, and the picture quality, particularly on the rear screen is sub-par. I understand there was a change in the equipment that has since improved and enlarged the picture. In my case I could have done MUCH better in the aftermarket - for considrably less money. However, that may no longer be the case. Unless you are in "Park" with the e-brake set, you won't get a picture on the nav screen anyway - so forget driving and watching, it's a liability issue, and illegal in most states.

If you want to check it out before ordering, take a favorite DVD to the dealership with you and try it out in an RX. On the rear screen there are a couple of things to look for: First, is the picture sharp and clear, or is it "grainy"? You can adjust the picture contrast, brightness, chroma, and phase (tint or hue) on the nav screen, the rear screen can be adjusted via the remote.

The second thing to look for is the off-axis visibility of the screen. Sitting to one side or the other of the screen can reduce the visibility or the picture - that's a problem on my '04, since you have to skooch a little toward the center to get a reasonable picture. The maximum optimal viewing angle is only about 30 or 35 degrees off center.

This may or may not be a problem for you, but I'm kinda picky, being in the video business. To my mind, an $1800 option would consist of more than a $200 screen and a $50 DVD player with a couple of $60 headsets. Hopefully they've improved on the original RSES.
Old 05-17-06, 07:57 AM
tfischer

Received 214 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm not crazy about paying $10.00 to watch a movie on a big screen -- I would sure have second thoughts about paying $1,700.00 to watch one in the back seat of my car. If it's to entertain the kids on trips, there are iPods out there for music and nice laptops that will play movies that cost a whole lot less, and you don't have to leave them sitting in the car doing nothing 360 days out of the year.

The other question to ask is whether adding such an expensive option with a limited appeal will add anything at all to the resale value of the car.

I'd look at aftermarket options before going with the RSES, which is quite the luxury item.
Old 05-17-06, 10:43 AM
LEXIRX330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
I'm not crazy about paying $10.00 to watch a movie on a big screen -- I would sure have second thoughts about paying $1,700.00 to watch one in the back seat of my car. If it's to entertain the kids on trips, there are iPods out there for music and nice laptops that will play movies that cost a whole lot less, and you don't have to leave them sitting in the car doing nothing 360 days out of the year.

The other question to ask is whether adding such an expensive option with a limited appeal will add anything at all to the resale value of the car.

I'd look at aftermarket options before going with the RSES, which is quite the luxury item.

First post here!

I purchased a CPO in November 2004 it has the RSES...so far I have not used it. I do not have kids and also 9 out of 10 times am the only person riding in my car. I would not purchase one with it but I got mine used so it came with what it had...and for the price I was happy with it, even if I don't use it!

And for the NAV screen it is kind of cool to watch it when you are parked but I still do not use it that much.
Old 05-17-06, 10:55 AM
tfischer

I also bought my '04 RX as a CPO, and when shopping I had trailer hitch and RSES as options I would not take, and the NAV as a required option. (Eventually I found one configured the way I wanted it.)

With no kids, I seldom have anybody in the back seat at all, and when I do they are adults, so it's just useless to me also.

If I (still) had little kids at home, I might consider it, but still it would only be used on longer trips, and that's not too often.

Unless cost is just not a factor, it's quite the frill.
Old 05-17-06, 12:41 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The RSES was not available in my state when I bought our RX330 back in April 2003. I really wanted it for my son, so I ended up installing a aftermarket Alpine video system. I'm glad I did because it blows away the OEM RSES. I spent more than the cost of the OEM RSES, but I did use much higher quality parts and installed a much more elaborate and flexible system
Old 05-17-06, 12:51 PM
tfischer

Maybe this tidbit will be helpful to those interested in the RSES.

When shopping for my used, excuse me, previously owned RX330, the dealer mentioned that the RSES is a dealer installed option, and that it could be installed in any new or used RX330 or 350. His point was that if I wanted it, I did not need to look for one that already had it installed.

I did not want one, so it was a pretty academic point, but in all my shopping, I only came across one that had it installed (although I was only looking at ones that had NAV, so I hardly looked at everything on the lot). Still, I think it's a pretty rare option.
Old 05-17-06, 03:25 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Maybe this tidbit will be helpful to those interested in the RSES.

When shopping for my used, excuse me, previously owned RX330, the dealer mentioned that the RSES is a dealer installed option, and that it could be installed in any new or used RX330 or 350. His point was that if I wanted it, I did not need to look for one that already had it installed.

I did not want one, so it was a pretty academic point, but in all my shopping, I only came across one that had it installed (although I was only looking at ones that had NAV, so I hardly looked at everything on the lot). Still, I think it's a pretty rare option.
i don't think it's dealer installed. mine came from japan w/ RSES. (i bought it the day before the official launch date) in any case, i also do not have kids (yet) but find the RSES a nice feature for those long road trips we take for skiing.

my take on it is that it is extremely overpriced (mine was an $1800 option) for what you get, but usually what i find is that you don't end up paying 100% msrp on options. so whatever you negotiate, there's always more wiggle room w/ the dealer when the car is loaded with options (since each indivi option is marked up in addition to the car) vs. a base model. so you shouldn't necessarily consider it a $1700 add-on.

i know you can get headrest sets from the dealer for about $1200, but this is not factory OEM. the Pros of the factory OEM unit is that it integrates w/ the nav unit and that there are RCA jacks and a regular plug in the trunk. i actually have used this plug also on roadtrips for my laptop or whatever else. (they are designed for use w/ a external source like VCR or game system) you can also use the plug to charge your cell phone or anything else without having a cig lighter adapter.

the Cons are obviously the quality vs. similarly priced units, and the fact that there is only 1 screen and video source (nowadays each headset is getting its own player). although i am sure the quality is much improved from March 03 when i got mine - i think mine is 7" also.

btw, like Lil4X mentioned, factory settings require that your parking brake is engaged and you are stopped at 0mph to have the video come onto the nav screen. there is a hack available to allow it in motion so your front passenger can also watch. i did the hack recently and it was fairly easy.

it's a tough choice. the rear view is also blocked somewhat by the flip down screen. if that bothers you, it might be a dealbreaker...
Old 05-17-06, 07:50 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not go to Best Buy or any other electronics store and pay $150 for a DVD player that plugs into your cigarette lighter. Pocket the extra money or invest it. Maybe the car companies will learn their lesson here.

My grandson doesn't care whether the DVD comes out of a factory installed sytem or his Best Buy system.

Gary
Old 05-18-06, 05:17 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Since I use the RSES in my business occasionally for client demos, I let some of my business associates talk me into getting the option. It's worked well and has paid for itself - so I shouldn't complain.

My wife is a huge movie buff and on long trips she likes to curl up in the back seat with a handful of favorite DVDs for the less scenic parts of the journey. By pushing the front passenger seat forward, tilting the seatback forward, and putting an ice chest on the rear passenger floorboard, she's discovered she can build a nice "nest", snuggling down with some pillows and a light blanket. With the requisite diet Coke and a big bag of popcorn, she's set for an 800-mile day. It gives her a chance to watch her chick flicks without forcing me to watch them too.

When she's driving, I've learned to shuffle a few of her pillows, insert one of MY movies, and I'm ready for a little relaxing. Too relaxing. I'm usually asleep in five minutes. During my few waking moments, I discovered I can use the remote to surreptitiously change the radio station she's listening to without affecting my movie in the back seat. If you're careful and can pretend to be asleep convincingly enough, you can drive your wife crazy with this little trick. It's good for hours of fun and usually more entertaining than the movie!