RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

ML, Worth the Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 11:59 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ML, Worth the Wait?

I currently drive a GX and am looking to get a smaller car for driving around town in. I really like the RX350 and am thinking that I want to pull the trigger and take advantage of the special lease rates advertised this weekend but I am a little hesitant because I really want ML. While I know that my salesman wants to make a sale, he has also sold me Lexus before and knows that I am a loyal owner and will buy, he tells me that the ML in the RX is not worth a 2 month wait. Having the ML in the GX I really like the sound but he challenges me stating that it is different in the RX, different shaped smaller cabin so the stock system performs very well.

I am having a really hard time deciding if I should wait and order the exact car that I want or "settle" (I wouldn't call this really settling, it has everything else I want) for the one that they have on the lot.

Can anyone who has ML in the 330 or 350 give a brief comparison of the sounds for me, I would myself but my dealer has no ML units on the lot...

Thanks!
Old 05-26-06, 02:47 AM
mikern10@m
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the ML system is well woth the wait. Your salesperson in full of s#@*. I have had both and can verify that the difference is immense.
Old 05-26-06, 05:14 AM
RiNsE_OuT
Driver School Candidate

I went through the same dilemma and decided to go with the stock based on other reviews and advice about the ML. You are correct that the ML in the RX350 will not be like the ML in say, the LS or IS for that matter. But it will still be very good. I just did not want to wait that long for the custom order while my trade-in depreciated in the mean time. You can always get aftermarket amps and speaker upgrades from places like tweeter or meyer emco which will be a vast improvement over stock and probably a lot cheaper. Good luck with your decision. If you pull the trigger, you won't regret it. Heck, I gave up a '05 Acura RL with an amazing sound system for the RX if that tells you anything!
Old 05-26-06, 12:30 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the other thing worth considering is that the ML in the 350 comes w/ DVD changer, rather than the standard CD changer. so if you are a music nut you can play DVD-audio discs with a lot of songs. also the new Gen 5 nav plays mp3s so you can organize a lot more music on DVD in folders rather than on a 80-min CD...

and if you get the Nav package with ML, then you can play DVD's on your nav screen while parked (or later cut a few wires to have it play for your passengers while in motion).
Old 05-26-06, 07:43 PM
ctdude
Driver School Candidate

Question What is ML?

Old 05-26-06, 07:54 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdude
Mark Levinson, the upgraded/optional sound system.
Old 05-27-06, 12:30 AM
MJMeucci
Driver

Does anyone know if any regions are receiving RX's with the ML? I am based out of Seattle and none of the dealers here have any, I also do a lot of work in Boston and they don't seem to have any either... I talked to my salesman today regarding the ML and he said that Lexus decided that people weren't going to want to pay the extra $950 for upgraded sound systems so they were not offered. In my opinion, when I am looking at paying 45,000+ for a car 950 for a sound system isn't all to unreasonable, also shouldn't that be my decision?

Has anyone ordered a RX recently and can give me a time frame of how long delivery took?
Old 05-30-06, 12:59 PM
gopherhock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MJMeucci
Does anyone know if any regions are receiving RX's with the ML? I am based out of Seattle and none of the dealers here have any, I also do a lot of work in Boston and they don't seem to have any either... I talked to my salesman today regarding the ML and he said that Lexus decided that people weren't going to want to pay the extra $950 for upgraded sound systems so they were not offered. In my opinion, when I am looking at paying 45,000+ for a car 950 for a sound system isn't all to unreasonable, also shouldn't that be my decision?

Has anyone ordered a RX recently and can give me a time frame of how long delivery took?
I'm in this same boat right now! I was offerent a screaming deal on one without... and was told my only option to get one is to special order. 90 days at least for the special order, and I'm sure I'd miss out on the good deal they are offering me on a model they have in stock right now at month end. Probably cost me $950 for the sound system and a few thousand $ for doing a special order.

I'm still debating it though. If I'm going to buy this car I don't want to regret it for years to come. But for a few thousand $ can I live without ML and perhaps upgrade the system anyway with other speakers etc?

Does anyone know how easy one can put in a better amp and speakers? Does the ML system have actual locations for speakers that the stock system does not? (in other words, you can replace the stock speakers but you will never get the same number of them..)

I am really leaning toward walking away from lexus because of how stupid I think this issue is. Who in their right mind buys a system without premium audio... I dunno but its usually the first option I select when buying a car.