RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Who drives a Lexus RX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 05:37 PM
barry_s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who drives a Lexus RX?

I took my wife along today to test drive an RX350. She is visually impaired and no longer drives. We both liked the car and will probably get one to replace both our 1994 cream-puff ES300 and a 1997 non cream-puff Honda CR-V. On the way home she commented that she knows a few people who drive RX300's & 330's but they are all women. We all know that there are certain vehicles that appeal more to women than men and vice-versa but it had never occurred to me that the RX was one of these. It has not changed my desire to acquire one but I am certainly curious to hear the opinions of other members.
Old 06-01-06, 10:54 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

barry_s, this issue has come up number of times in RX300. Search will dig up old posts.

At the time of purchase, I looked at the things that mattered to me, affordability (which is different than price), safety, utility, dependability, appeal, expected longevity, total ownership experience, environment friendly (or at least as friendly as it can get being an suv). Who else drives an RX never came to my mind. Even after years of ownership, I never look for who is driving an RX other than, here is another RX.

Salim
Old 06-02-06, 05:12 AM
gopherhock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
barry_s, this issue has come up number of times in RX300. Search will dig up old posts.

At the time of purchase, I looked at the things that mattered to me, affordability (which is different than price), safety, utility, dependability, appeal, expected longevity, total ownership experience, environment friendly (or at least as friendly as it can get being an suv). Who else drives an RX never came to my mind. Even after years of ownership, I never look for who is driving an RX other than, here is another RX.

Salim
There are quite a few RXs in my area... I have probably seen them driven by males over 90% of the time.

I agree with the above comment though and actually wouldn't think twice driving something that was popular with the females. Something tells me that is not a bad thing.
Old 06-02-06, 05:52 AM
drewpsb70
Driver School Candidate

Default continuing on this thread

who has purchased and RX and decided that they do NOT like it?

just curious...
Old 06-02-06, 06:05 AM
sweet
Driver School Candidate

When I bought a RX 350, my wife and I looked at several vehicles and she loved the Lexus. She drives it 90% of the time and I drive it on weekends when I can. If its a chick car,I sure enjoy driving it and really love the car. I like the horsepower and the overall look and comfort. If I was single and looking for a SUV it would be the RX350! However,if I was single I would probally go for the SC. I think its a little more appealing to a single man looking for a babe.
Old 06-02-06, 07:37 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I purchased my first RX because I needed a car for my business. Having driven a selection of SUVs since before they were called by that name, I wanted out of a truck. Suburbans, while ideal as haulers were clumsy in daily driving, although they came into their own on the highway. Fuel cost was a minor consideration, and fortunately, technology had reduced my payload requirements from five to six hundred pounds to just over a hundred.

I bought the first RX because as a company car, the lease cost was actually less than other full-size SUVs with fewer options. I needed a car that I could use as a mobile office, get to shooting locations that were occasionally off pavement, haul a small load, yet not be a total embarasment when entertaining clients. I needed a long-distance cruiser to replace a lot of commuter flights of 200 to 600 miles - with security delays and skyrocketing air fares it's often cheaper and faster to drive to a out of town meeting . . . I needed a corporate jet. The RX filled the bill - and continues to do so, nicely.

Yes I see a number of women driving RX's - but even if they bought it because it was smaller than a truck, luxurious, even "cute", I have to admire their taste.
Old 06-02-06, 08:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I bought my RX300 because I wanted a 4x4 vehicle with high quality. I drive my vehicle up hills, mountains, over potholes with bad gas and bad air quality all around me and even find time to take it to a 1/4 mile track at least twice every weekend. I couldn't of done that with other vehicle, and I always hear friends down here look at me in shock when I tell them it is a 1999 and the SUVs they drive that are newer have the strangest of issues. Even stranger for me, no Lexus in Mexico.
Old 06-02-06, 08:42 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The majority of RX's here in the Chicago area are driven by women. Like Salim, I bought my RX based on my needs, Lexus quality, value, etc with little concern for the demographic of other buyers / drivers. Having previously driven a Honda CRV over 100k miles, I didn't want to sacrifice build quality for appearance. I even looked at all wheel drive vans because I like the comfort and cargo capacity. When I found that the Toyota Sienna was close in price to the RX, my decision was made. Other than some minor issues that have been resolved by the dealer, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I'm still trying to understand the Hummer mentality.

Alex
Old 06-02-06, 09:25 AM
ph_RX330
Rookie

i think color has something to do with it as well. i see white more common among chicks in this area.
Old 06-02-06, 10:09 AM
gopherhock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ph_RX330
i think color has something to do with it as well. i see white more common among chicks in this area.
Interesting you bring up color. One thing I do notice is that white/pearl color seem to be the female drivers. When I see black or a darker color its always a male.

Thats just an observation I have had, not a fact or a stereotype I'm trying to make etc... just somewhat interesting is all.
Old 06-02-06, 12:21 PM
Frankr66
Pole Position

im a guy and drive a black forest pearl 06 rx 330

Old 06-02-06, 01:00 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well lets see, went from a Toyota MarkIV(among several other cars), to a Toyota Pick-me-up, to an early 4Runner, then to a newer 4Runner, then the newest 4Runner, then RAV4, then Newer RAV4, then RX300 and now RX330. Don't really care what a chick car/macho car is supposed to be, if I like it, I buy it. And I'm a guy, 57 years young.

Also around here (Upper Northwest, by Canadian border), we really don't see many RX's but they are slowly starting to show up. So far I'd say about 50% men/women as drivers.
Old 06-02-06, 01:51 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by drewpsb70
who has purchased and RX and decided that they do NOT like it?

just curious...
You can bin them in two catagories.

1. Had technical issues: Only one person comes to mind wwest ... viscous coupling. Any long timer at CL can tell you that it has been years.

2. Breakdowns/Failures: Most in this catagory have been who experienced $$$$ worth of reapirs. Majority of them have been 2nd/3rd/4th owners of possibly ill maintained RXs. This catagory exists for any vehicle/brand name on the road.

I have not seen any one experince a buyers remorse, ... just after purchasing the RX. I attribute that to serioius money that is shelled out at purchase time, so any agony experienced is most probably before the purchase.

Salim
Old 06-02-06, 02:54 PM
leot
Driver School Candidate

Default woman's?

My wife has a 2005 GX, she says she misses her RX terribly; My daughter has owned 2 RX's
and loved them both. (still owns the 2nd one) My daughter drove our GX and said "no thanks"
as for me. I have owned 4 LS's; and there is no other love, I had a 90, a 93, a 97 and currently a 99
I bought new, and still have (67000 miles) since I am retired and have no need (but a strong desire) for a new one..

GX is definitely a woman's car!

In the town I live in, rarely do you see a man in a RX. ,
Old 06-02-06, 08:56 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GX is definitely a woman's car!

[/QUOTE]

Of all the GX's I have seen in my travels, 90% of the time there is a male driver. Now the RX's are just the opposite. But I could care less. I buy what I like. I would think woman would have a tough time climbing in and out of the GX. They are much higher off the ground than an RX.

Quick Reply: Who drives a Lexus RX?