RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Vaistech and Gen V Nav

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 11:32 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaistech and Gen V Nav

I am going to pick up my new RX350 tomorrow AM and I want to get the Vaistech iPod connector and was wondering if it was compatible with the gen V nav? I have the converter in my GX470 and it works great but for $300 I want to make sure that it will work just as well in the new RX.

Thanks
Old 06-02-06, 05:26 AM
Virginia
Driver School Candidate

Default Vais Sli

I have a similar question. I currently have a RX330 and would like to purchase a RX350 but I am hesitating because it does not have MP3 / iPOD capability.

-Has anyone installed the Vais SLI in a RX350 with the Nav system?

-I am not capable of installing it myself ... any suggestions there?

-Is the installation clean or are there wires showing?

-Has anyone installed one recently and encountered problems?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-06, 07:40 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Welcome to CL, Virginia!

Check out Vaistech in our Vendors section. They are one of our fine sponsors and have been watching our forums for some time. They've developed a number of solutions that might just help!

They are currently running a Group Buy that may interest you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219511
Old 06-02-06, 09:05 PM
Scott_lmtd
Driver School Candidate

Installed the Vais Tech SLX and XMD1000 Tuner into my 2007 RX350 w/ Nav unit.

Installed fairly well, pulled apart the area around the shifter, and the area around the glove box. Placed both the Vais Tech SLX unit and XMD1000 inside the console area (basically under and behind the shifter).

Instructions are fairly straight foward, used SAT emulation mode and sure enough works just fine. The nav unit displays the XM text at the top, and provides 6 programable buttons (like a regular radio, press and hold and it stores the station). I was hoping the screen would automatically download all channels and allow me to scroll through like a XM display, but no joy. The head unit also display the XM text for the station ID as well. With the Nav unit if you hit the text button it switches from the preset screen to a screen that shows the station and song title.

All in all not bad, I wish I would have seen Vias Tech post before I bought the unit, he has a discount for the folks on the forum.
Old 06-04-06, 07:57 PM
barry_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scott_lmtd
Installed the Vais Tech SLX and XMD1000 Tuner into my 2007 RX350 w/ Nav unit.

Installed fairly well, pulled apart the area around the shifter, and the area around the glove box. Placed both the Vais Tech SLX unit and XMD1000 inside the console area (basically under and behind the shifter).

Instructions are fairly straight foward, used SAT emulation mode and sure enough works just fine. The nav unit displays the XM text at the top, and provides 6 programable buttons (like a regular radio, press and hold and it stores the station). I was hoping the screen would automatically download all channels and allow me to scroll through like a XM display, but no joy. The head unit also display the XM text for the station ID as well. With the Nav unit if you hit the text button it switches from the preset screen to a screen that shows the station and song title.

All in all not bad, I wish I would have seen Vias Tech post before I bought the unit, he has a discount for the folks on the forum.
I just got an RX350 with NAV and am considering buying and installing the Vais Tech unit. Kindly answer a couple of questions:
1) Did you have to remove the audio system or the NAV to hook it up?
2) How did you get the wire harness through the console? (I assume that you are referring to the larger section behind the cup holders)?
3) Did you consider any other location? Glove box?
Thanks! (Yes, I know that "a couple" is two.)
Old 06-05-06, 11:33 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barry_s
I just got an RX350 with NAV and am considering buying and installing the Vais Tech unit. Kindly answer a couple of questions:
1) Did you have to remove the audio system or the NAV to hook it up?
2) How did you get the wire harness through the console? (I assume that you are referring to the larger section behind the cup holders)?
3) Did you consider any other location? Glove box?
Thanks! (Yes, I know that "a couple" is two.)
(1) remove the audio part, which is the lower of the two units on your center stack (the one with the CD changer, not the display)

(2) you have to remove the wood panel around shifter, the wood panel around the seat heater controls, and then undo the 4 bolts on the audio system to get to the back. by then you have a big gaping hole in your center stack and you can put your harnesses on and in very easily.

(3) the area that Scott describes above is the best place to put it b/c there is enough room and it's a fairly flat surface. you can also consider the glove box, but that takes a little more work since you have to route the cables to the glove box, and some of the cables are very thick. when my friend and i did the install, the only thing we thought of doing with the glove box install was to cut a notch in the back of the glove box to allow the cables to come into the box without impeding the movement of the glove box (in other words, the glove box can close if you don't do the notch, but it takes a little force which we did not think was good). since we did not want to do that, we just decided to put it in the same place Scott did. it's a good place, very stable and accessible in the future without removing the audio system again. there might have been other ways to put it in the glove box, but once you see the location under the shifter, you will see that its a good spot.

good luck, hope this helps!
Old 06-08-06, 11:58 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

Is it possible to install both the iPod integration and Satellite radio tuner into my RX? Would I just need the SLI and the XMD1000?
Old 06-09-06, 07:01 AM
Scott_lmtd
Driver School Candidate

MJ,

Lexuslover pretty much answered exactly as I would have. I did how ever remove the glove box when I did the install, it allowed me to run the antenna wire out of the way. Under the Glove box is a black platic panel as well, that comes out first, some small build in clips in front. Then the glove box, 2 screws on top, two bolts on the side. Look down and on both sides of the shifter console you'll see two black plastic plugs, pull those out, slide (wiggle) the platic kick panel forward (toward the engine) and you'll see this great area to install the units.

With the glove box out and the head unit you'll plenty of space to run/feed all the wiring through. As lexus described for your caseusing the IPOD have a notch in the glove might help, but when you pull the glove box out you'll see that's how they access the air filter as well.

The SLX has an Aux input, I don't know if you can install both, call Eugene or email him, he's very helpful.
Old 06-12-06, 05:31 AM
gopherhock
Driver School Candidate

I am curious what the benefit of using the Vaistech unit is vs. the factory XM (or Sirius when it is available) other than the addition of an extra connector (for iPod etc.)

Is the Nav as integrated as it is from factory? Is the sound as good?

Or maybe more importantly, could one do Sirius from factory and use the Vaistech unit to get XM, or would they conflict with each other? I assume on the RX it would conflict.
Old 06-17-06, 11:04 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by MJMeucci
Is it possible to install both the iPod integration and Satellite radio tuner into my RX? Would I just need the SLI and the XMD1000?
I would like to extend this question a bit.....Can the Vais SLI unit AND a satellite radio receiver (e.g. Factory Sirius for RX350 when it becomes available) be installed at the same time so that each when in use can leverage Nav screen or radio LCD text and steering wheel controls? My fear is that there is only one open slot on the RX audio unit and its going to be an either/or game between Vais/iPod and Satellite for which one gets "real factory-like integration".

Having just purchased the Vais SLI unit through the great group buy sponsored here on ClubLexus I am committed at least to that for my iPod...I just don't want to compromise usability when Sirius becomes available (hopefully sometime in the next few months).

Anybody know?

Thanks,

--Scott
Old 06-18-06, 12:13 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spikerjack
I would like to extend this question a bit.....Can the Vais SLI unit AND a satellite radio receiver (e.g. Factory Sirius for RX350 when it becomes available) be installed at the same time so that each when in use can leverage Nav screen or radio LCD text and steering wheel controls? My fear is that there is only one open slot on the RX audio unit and its going to be an either/or game between Vais/iPod and Satellite for which one gets "real factory-like integration".

Having just purchased the Vais SLI unit through the great group buy sponsored here on ClubLexus I am committed at least to that for my iPod...I just don't want to compromise usability when Sirius becomes available (hopefully sometime in the next few months).

Anybody know?

Thanks,

--Scott
if you have the factory receiver for satellite, that should cause no interference to the SLI unit. the SLI goes thru CD emulation so it becomes another CD changer basically (aka, you press DISC to get to it). the Satellite goes thru the AM/SAT button, so it's a completely different mode. both are controlled via the hand controls on your steering wheel or on the screen.

i don't know how it would work if you tried to install two Vaistech units, if that's what you are wondering. i don't think that would work b/c of the way you are using the harnesses, and only one input would be controllable via factory audio controls. you could get SLI and plug ipod and use the add'l AUX input for an aftermarket satellite control, but then that would have to be controlled manually on the receiver/remote.
Old 06-18-06, 01:06 AM
MJMeucci
Driver

I talked to Eugene regarding this issue and he informed me that they are working on a firmware upgrade for the SLI that is expected in the next few months. This upgrade will allow the ability for the SLI or the SLX to act as a SLXI so it can control iPod and Sat radio.
Old 07-07-06, 09:09 PM
ChRX350
Driver School Candidate

Hello all! Just got my SLI to hook up to my RX350 w/NAV - question: is there a trick/special tool needed to remove the wood trim around the shifter and seat warmer dials? Or is it just basically pulling it? Also, I'm installing an aftermarket Rear Entertainment with Vizualogic headrest monitors and Alpine DVD unit... I was wondering if the second AV inputs can be used for the audio from the Rear Ent source (aka DVD player)?

Great forum! Thanks in advance for the help!!!
Old 07-08-06, 09:35 AM
barry_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ChRX350
Hello all! Just got my SLI to hook up to my RX350 w/NAV - question: is there a trick/special tool needed to remove the wood trim around the shifter and seat warmer dials? Or is it just basically pulling it? Also, I'm installing an aftermarket Rear Entertainment with Vizualogic headrest monitors and Alpine DVD unit... I was wondering if the second AV inputs can be used for the audio from the Rear Ent source (aka DVD player)?

Great forum! Thanks in advance for the help!!!
The two wood trim pieces are just held on with clips and pull off. On mine the "seat warmer" piece required quite a bit of force to free it.. You will also need to move the shift lever down to get access to the radio. There is a release button under a small plastic cap that allows you to move the shifter out of park with the ignition switch off.
I believe that you can use the "aux" input for your DVD player audio.
Old 07-08-06, 02:05 PM
ChRX350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by barry_s
The two wood trim pieces are just held on with clips and pull off. On mine the "seat warmer" piece required quite a bit of force to free it.. You will also need to move the shift lever down to get access to the radio. There is a release button under a small plastic cap that allows you to move the shifter out of park with the ignition switch off.
I believe that you can use the "aux" input for your DVD player audio.
Thank you Barry! I really appreciate it! I got the VAIS SLI unit installed and it works, but I thought the iPod playlist/song details would appear on the NAV screen??? It displays in the LCD window of the radio - it shows MD1... would the setting it to the CD emulator work to display on the NAV?

Quick Reply: Vaistech and Gen V Nav