RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Fixing up the factory sound system

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 05:24 AM
gopherhock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing up the factory sound system

Has anyone made any significant changes to the factory stereo system? Perhaps new speakers, a better amp, a sub woofer etc?

I know this isn't the typical car that people probably do this with... but I just want to know if anyone has and how they went about it.

I usually check Crutchfield.com and see what fits the vehicle and get their wiring harness etc... but I notice that there has not been any research done on the 2006 or 2007 RX.

I've been thinking about doing something small like adding a small base module and amp. I don't want to annoy the neighbors with loud audio, but would like to fix up the sound a bit.
Old 06-02-06, 02:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, mine is more than just a simple upgrade, but since I retained the stock speakers I guess I qualify

I upgraded the head unit to an Alipne IVA-D300 touch screen monitor deck and now to the IVA-D310 touch screen deck. Under it I use an Alpine PXA-H700 DD/DTS processor. Each headrest contain an Alpine TME-M770 touch screen monitor. To add extra A/V inputs and to tie all the touch screen monitors together I use an Alpine VPE-S430 A/V expansion unit. This allows routing of any A/V source into any monitor controlled from any monitor independently. For additional DVD/CD playback I also have an Alpine DHA-S680 6 disc DVD Changer. I also have a KCE-420i iPod kit for my wife. Amps are Precision Power. A sony PS2 game station is for me and my son Anyway, that is about it. I'm still using the stock speakers because I'm too lazy to change them out plus I'll be returning it all to stock at the end of the year when we sell the car.
Old 06-02-06, 10:52 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering doing it on my '05 RX330. There are 6x9s in the front and 6.5s in the rear. I may try to fit 6.5 components in the front and switch out the stock .75" tweeter. I might just leave the stock 6.5s in the rear. I'm not too sure how a HU would fit in, but I'm sure you can get a decent amp to power the front two components.
Old 06-06-06, 11:33 AM
T em Up
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Well, mine is more than just a simple upgrade, but since I retained the stock speakers I guess I qualify

I upgraded the head unit to an Alipne IVA-D300 touch screen monitor deck and now to the IVA-D310 touch screen deck. Under it I use an Alpine PXA-H700 DD/DTS processor. Each headrest contain an Alpine TME-M770 touch screen monitor. To add extra A/V inputs and to tie all the touch screen monitors together I use an Alpine VPE-S430 A/V expansion unit. This allows routing of any A/V source into any monitor controlled from any monitor independently. For additional DVD/CD playback I also have an Alpine DHA-S680 6 disc DVD Changer. I also have a KCE-420i iPod kit for my wife. Amps are Precision Power. A sony PS2 game station is for me and my son Anyway, that is about it. I'm still using the stock speakers because I'm too lazy to change them out plus I'll be returning it all to stock at the end of the year when we sell the car.
Man I would love to see pics of your setup. If you can post any it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-19-06, 05:15 PM
justcruzin

Cool Replaced Factory Head Unit:

I haven't done anything to the components of the system (i.e., speakers, tweeters or amp) but I have replaced the headunit with a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 DVD Navigation System (HDD Multimedia AV Navigation Server) . See picture for greater detail.

DW...
RX330 - Neptune Blue Mica
Attached Thumbnails Fixing up the factory sound system-rx330_navigation.jpg  

Last edited by justcruzin; 06-20-06 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 03:21 PM
beauphus
Pole Position

looks great. where did you get this double din dash kit? is it custom? this is exactly what i want. thanks!

Originally Posted by justcruzin
I haven't done anything to the components of the system (i.e., speakers, tweeters or amp) but I have replaced the headunit with a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 DVD Navigation System (HDD Multimedia AV Navigation Server) . See picture for greater detail.

DW...
RX330 - Neptune Blue Mica
Old 09-05-07, 02:26 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beauphus
looks great. where did you get this double din dash kit? is it custom? this is exactly what i want. thanks!
That dash kit is the same one I used. It is a Japan Toyota OEM part for the Toyota Harrier (Same as RX in the United States). Carson Toyota might sell it, but you might have to call as they don't list it on their website. Otherwise, anyone that has access to a Toyota Dealership in Japan can get the part right from the parts department.
Old 09-05-07, 06:48 AM
beauphus
Pole Position

do you happen to have a part number?
Old 09-06-07, 01:16 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 2005 rx330. i added one subwoofer amp, two 1 farad digital capacitors, sealed enclosure, two 12inch subwoofers. all 2 gauge wiring, zero gauge wiring to the battery. i would have done all the speakers but im returning the car soon so, i didnt change those. and all the components except for the sub are under the floor in the spot where the cargo cover goes.
Old 09-06-07, 07:50 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
i have an 2005 rx330. i added one subwoofer amp, two 1 farad digital capacitors, sealed enclosure, two 12inch subwoofers. all 2 gauge wiring, zero gauge wiring to the battery. i would have done all the speakers but im returning the car soon so, i didnt change those. and all the components except for the sub are under the floor in the spot where the cargo cover goes.
Post a pic, will ya? Please?