RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 Nav DVD for 04 RX330

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 02:31 PM
Nostics_RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2005 Nav DVD for 04 RX330

Has anyone upgraded to the 2005 Nav DVD for 04 RX330 (Gen 3)? I'd like to know if it's worth it. I see it for $288.00 from Sewell Lexus. I enjoyed our Nav system on our holiday trip and found it very helpful. Should you get it from dealers or just get it from ebay? This forum has been very helpful to me, thanks again!!
Old 06-03-06, 11:13 PM
neokinetik
Driver School Candidate

I have the same question.
I just bought an 04 and I live in a new neighborhood that is not on the map.
Should I / Can I upgrade to the new disk/software?
Old 06-04-06, 11:40 AM
Homer742
Driver School Candidate

Hi, this is the first time I've been to this forum. I also would like to know if upgrading is worth the money. Where I live, there are so many development that there are a lot of new streets that don't show up on the NAV system.
Old 06-08-06, 08:24 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome aboard, Homer!

Probably, but you might want to wait a couple of months. Lexus usually releases their DVD updates in the fall - so to get the very latest, you might wait until Sept. or Oct. As I understand it, the update disc doesn't alter the firmware (you get no additional features), but it does include new updated maps, greater coverage in Canada, and more and updated POI's.

I need to update my disc too, since mine is the original to the car, and I put off replacing it until I decided for sure I wanted to buy out the lease and drive it for a couple more years. I'm going to check that option with my dealer in the next few days, and report back. Someone over there once was spreading the rumor that your first update is free. I'm not sure if that's accurate - and it may vary from dealer to dealer - but I'll report back when I find out.
Old 06-08-06, 10:05 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Welcome aboard, Homer!

Probably, but you might want to wait a couple of months. Lexus usually releases their DVD updates in the fall - so to get the very latest, you might wait until Sept. or Oct. As I understand it, the update disc doesn't alter the firmware (you get no additional features), but it does include new updated maps, greater coverage in Canada, and more and updated POI's.

I need to update my disc too, since mine is the original to the car, and I put off replacing it until I decided for sure I wanted to buy out the lease and drive it for a couple more years. I'm going to check that option with my dealer in the next few days, and report back. Someone over there once was spreading the rumor that your first update is free. I'm not sure if that's accurate - and it may vary from dealer to dealer - but I'll report back when I find out.

First update free---that would be sweet! Let us know
Old 06-09-06, 02:56 AM
mikern10@m
Driver School Candidate

I updated my 2004 330 in April and am very pleased. Although there is little visual difference in the display, it is clear that the disk has all the lastest information, reflecting new roads and highways in my area. I recently drove from suburban Detroit to rural, southern Ohio and the disk accurately directed me to a new neighborhood which was recently built.

Hope that helps...
Old 06-09-06, 05:49 AM
My3rdRX
Driver School Candidate

For a better price, you may want to check eBay first. Sometimes you can get a really excellent deal! Go to "Search" and type in "Lexus GPS DVD" — Hope it's helpful!
Old 06-09-06, 10:54 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Originally Posted by My3rdRX
For a better price, you may want to check eBay first. Sometimes you can get a really excellent deal! Go to "Search" and type in "Lexus GPS DVD" — Hope it's helpful!
Stay away from those E-bay discs. Most offers are scams offering obsolete or inoperative discs, and ther rest are illegal copies. Software piracy is a very serious issue and the consequences are not worth the risk you take in purchasing it. Think for a minute, WHERE would these "discount" copies come from? Somebody had an extra?
Old 06-09-06, 02:28 PM
My3rdRX
Driver School Candidate

I'm really surprised with your response, Mr. Moderator, especially when your byline is "Moderation in Some Things" — your comment definitely is not moderation when you say, "Most offers are scams...and the rest are illegal copies."

I have purchased several versions of Lexus GPS DVDs on eBay and have yet to encounter a scam and/or illegal copy. Many of these sellers are car dealerships having an Internet business on the side. IMHO, your generalization is not helpful. It's obvious that every buyer needs to remember, 'If it's too good to be true, it is!" But you can definitely get a legal copy for less than $288.
Old 06-09-06, 09:54 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Originally Posted by My3rdRX
I'm really surprised with your response, Mr. Moderator, especially when your byline is "Moderation in Some Things" — your comment definitely is not moderation when you say, "Most offers are scams...and the rest are illegal copies."

I have purchased several versions of Lexus GPS DVDs on eBay and have yet to encounter a scam and/or illegal copy. Many of these sellers are car dealerships having an Internet business on the side. IMHO, your generalization is not helpful. It's obvious that every buyer needs to remember, 'If it's too good to be true, it is!" But you can definitely get a legal copy for less than $288.
If you will do a search on Club Lexus for eBay and DVD you will find that a number of members have gotten DVDs for somewhere between $20 and $40. Many users have reported their new disc was an old version packaged in a jewel case with a current version label. Several of these were attempts to burn copies of the dual-layer DVD with a single-layer burner - which usually renders them unusable.

MSRP on the DVD is about $250 and some dealerships will sell them for as low as $200. Some of our vendors are dealers that operate an internet business such as you describe and offer a genuine product for a more reasonable price. Heck, I'm going to be in the market for one of these myself - and would love to save as much as possible - but I intend to be very careful and do my "due dilligence". As you said, 'If it's too good to be true, it is!"

Our position on this forum is decidedly against piracy and fraud. IF you find a source of discs for considerably less than list price, you are almost certainly looking at one of the above. As this is a violation of copyright law promotion of pirated software on the forums puts CL in a very difficult legal position, as a party to a crime, therefore we strictly prohibit trade or sale of these products.

We’re not trying to enforce some kind of dealer domination of the market, but seek to share good information on Lexus products. Although we can’t hold everyone’s hand, we try to prevent our members from falling into the more obvious traps.

Promoting these products on these forums will get the thread closed, and risk temporary or permanent banning - or possibly other civil action. Please read over the ground rules to which you agreed when you signed up for membership and understand what your and my responsibilities include. https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/

Finally, it might be well for you to review the final section of those rules - the one headed "Moderators". We are generally a rather thick-skinned lot, but will defend these forums with what might be called "enthusiasm". If you have additional questions or thoughts on this matter, please PM me or one of the other moderators.

OK?