RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lug Nut Size

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 06:23 PM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lug Nut Size

Does anybody know the lug nut size for RX 330? I need to buy a tire torque wrench and I need to know the socket size that I need to get for the lug nuts. Thanks for any information.
Old 06-13-06, 09:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXMICK
Does anybody know the lug nut size for RX 330? I need to buy a tire torque wrench and I need to know the socket size that I need to get for the lug nuts. Thanks for any information.

Breaking out the Craftsman toolbox, best I can determine it is 21mm.

Cannot find anything in the manuals.
Old 06-13-06, 11:54 PM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Hi RX330inFlorida,
Did you actually try the 21-mm. socket on the lugs? If you did and it fit then that should be the right size. Thanks again bud, you've been very helpful.
Old 06-14-06, 05:44 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

21mm - Deep well socket, 1/2 inch drive
Old 06-14-06, 07:15 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXMICK
Hi RX330inFlorida,
Did you actually try the 21-mm. socket on the lugs? If you did and it fit then that should be the right size. Thanks again bud, you've been very helpful.

Yes, actually grabbed the sockets from my toolbox and tried both metric and standard sockets on the car in the garage. 20mm was too small but 21mm did fit and snug with little play as it should. Tried the same with standard just in case but there was too much play in the smallest size socket that would fit. Sometimes they are close, but not in this case.

If you plan on doing your own tire rotations you are doing the correct thing in getting a torque wrench. Have had a couple of non-Lexus rotors ruined by over-torquing the lug nuts. If you go to Sears you can purchase just the 21mm deep socket that Tammy refers to without buying an entire set of sockets, but I would think you might want a complete set just in case. That and the torque wrench itself would have lifetime warranties as well.
Old 06-14-06, 09:21 PM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Default Lug Nut size

RX330inFlorida,
I would like to thank you for taking time to try those sockets to get me the right info. I really appreciate it. Thanks to you too, Tammy. I really don't trust some of those shops. Some are ok and honest, but they lack the training and knowledge. Those who are good rip you off. Seldom you can find a shop that has integrity. Of course, they need to make money. But, sometimes it becomes an obssession to rip off people especially when they're getting away with it. One time I had my oil changed at a Lexus dealership. You know what? They overfilled the engine by one quart of oil. I took it back, but they said the extra oil will not harm the engine. I know for a fact that it's not right. I ended up draining the extra oil myself. Now, I just do the minor maintenance myself. It saves me money and also I have a peace of mind knowing things are done right. Again, thanks a lot.

Last edited by LEXMICK; 06-14-06 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 09:55 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

No problem, LEXMICK. That is what these forums are for. I have gotten some good information about my RX here as well.

FWIW, all dealers will make mistakes. It is how they deal with the mistake after the fact that separates the good dealers from the rest. Doing some of your own work can be good especially if you have the time, patience, workspace and tools to do such. Not even a matter if whether it is cheaper or not. Sometimes doing the work yourself allows you to become more familiar with your car when problems do occur. Is the oil a bit darker this time than last? Is the air filter dirtier than last time? The dealer is sure not going to notice any subtle changes due to the numbers they do each day, but you may very well note small changes. If you never wash your own car you may never notice that scratch that needs attention or that there is a need for a new coat of wax.

Cars are like children in that they need regular attention. I let the local Lexus dealer takes care of my RX, but that just gives me more time to spend on my real baby, my Datsun 240z. Nothing quite like spending an afternoon rebuilding a carburetor on the dining room table.
The following users liked this post:
pete99 (10-20-23)
Old 06-14-06, 10:03 PM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Well said RX330inFlorda!! Cya later.