RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

'06 RX350 - Oil/Filter Change Instructions + Dealer Warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 12:56 PM
M_Murrell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 RX350 - Oil/Filter Change Instructions + Dealer Warning

I may be posting information widely known to this forum. My apologies if this is the case. I wanted to share some information with RX350 owners:

a. Oil/Filter Change Instructions
b. Warning - your Lexus dealer may not be refilling with the correct amount of oil.

I'm an '06 Avalon owner and am posting this here because our vehicle's share the same motor - both are made by Toyota.

When you purchased your Lexus RX350, you may have received some complimentary oil/filter change coupons. The coupons likely read "up to 5 qts." - unfortunately your '06 model car holds 6.4 qts. of oil; not 5 qts.

I've searched the WEB and have learned that many Toyota dealers are only installing 5 qts. in the '06 Avalon motor. I'd bet a buck the Lexus dealers are doing the same thing. I've been on this earth a few yrs. and have learned that there's liitle difference in car dealerships, be they Luxury or not.

All the more reason to change your own oil. Here's the URL with the instructions:

http://members.***.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf

Regards,

Mike Murrell
Old 06-14-06, 01:11 PM
richbutler
Rookie

When I recently purchased my Lexus, I did not receive a "coupon" for a free oil change. My dealer just told me about a complimentary oil change at 5,000 miles (and tire rotation) that comes with the purchase of a Lexus. I'm actually free to take my car to the dealer of my choice for this free service. I'm sure my dealer will fill my oil to the correct level and isn't interested in saving a few dollars at the cost of my car and customer good will. In fact, my dealer has gone above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that post-purchase service remains excellent!

I guess there is a difference between a Lexus dealer and a Toyota dealer!
Old 06-14-06, 01:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

those people shouldve even be changing oil, you should only use the dipstick to check if the oils filled enough or not NEVER EVER rely on some sheet to tell you how much

which reminds me the most recent oil change in my prelude (2.2 liter) that I got the oil monkey asked me "do you have an aftermarket oil pan your car took more oil than most hondas"

probably thought preludes had civics engines (1.8 liter I guess) engines
Old 06-14-06, 01:31 PM
M_Murrell
Driver School Candidate

Rich:

You say "your sure" then further down say "I guess".

Be "sure" after your next dealer oil change and check the oil level yourself. Then you won't have to "guess".

You might be "surprised", but I hope this isn't the case.
Old 06-14-06, 02:25 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by M_Murrell
Rich:

You say "your sure" then further down say "I guess".

Be "sure" after your next dealer oil change and check the oil level yourself. Then you won't have to "guess".

You might be "surprised", but I hope this isn't the case.
I should have said I "know" there is a difference between my Lexus dealership and my local Toyota dealership.

FYI... the proper spelling should be "you're" instead of "your"
Old 06-14-06, 02:59 PM
M_Murrell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by richbutler
I should have said I "know" there is a difference between my Lexus dealership and my local Toyota dealership.

FYI... the proper spelling should be "you're" instead of "your"
Allways a plezure konversing with a roket sigh_un_tist like "your" self Rich.
Old 06-15-06, 01:33 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know why Rich is copping what appears to be an attitude to Murrell. I certainly appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
Old 06-15-06, 02:16 PM
M_Murrell
Driver School Candidate

My apologies to Rich for my attitude. I allowed what I perceived to be a condescending attitude to set me off. Rich is comfortable with the service he's receiving from his west coast Lexus dealer.

Yesterday in another tread on the RX-350 forum, I more or less said that a higher sticker price does not necessarily beget better service. I've simply seen too many dealership horror stories in my life. Owning a luxury car and having it serviced by a dealership does not shield one from incompetent workmanship.

I own a number of cars. I like the darn things. One is a '91 Mercedes 126 model, the last year that Mercedes made a good car as far as I'm concerned. When I bought it, I thought I'd "consider" allowing the local MB dealer to take care of some of the services. After hearing one bad news story after another from local MB owners, I decided to do what I've done all my life - buy the books and the special tools needed and get dirty. Two of my cars have over 300,000 miles on them and have never been in a garage for anything except new tires. I get to watch that being done.

It's sad, but if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Now if I could just get some tips on diyer root canal work.