RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX-350 vs Infinity FX35/45

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 04:39 PM
4everlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX-350 vs Infinity FX35/45

Hi All:

I am a GX-470 owner and trolled this forum a bit to try and find some info on what RX owners think about their ride vs the FX. The reason is, I have a good friend that is about to pull the trigger on a new car and I am pushing her to the RX but, she is leaning towards the FX. By the way, I was a previous owner of an RX-300 and it was the BEST vehicle I have ever owned!

Thanks in advance for any links/advice you can provide!

Last edited by 4everlexus; 06-15-06 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-14-06, 04:46 PM
initiald
Driver School Candidate

I can think of couple pros for the FX

1) more power at least with the FX45. but of course also uses lot more gas.

2) ATTESA E-TS All-Wheel Drive is better than RX?
Old 06-14-06, 07:16 PM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

Of course the FX is goofy looking. That should factor into the equation, also.
Old 06-14-06, 08:06 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

i have to say that my 300 is better than the 330, only because of maybe the 19s and handling. And i really loved that car. I could literally do anything go anywhere in that thing.
The 330 feels super bored compared to my FX, but again, my FX is moded to the max. RXs are too "soft", but damn reliable machines. Dont get the FX if u have lots of stuff or u like room, the FX has a tiny trunk compared to the RX, and the rear transmission tunnel of the FX really intrudes space. If u want something nice, reliable, and dont ask for much, go for the RX, if she like to drive, go for the FX.

Originally Posted by 4everlexus
Hi All:

I am a GX-470 owner and trolled this forum a bit to try and find some info on what RX owners think about there ride vs the FX. The reason is, I have a good friend that is about to pull the trigger on a new one and I am pushing her to the RX but, she is leaning towards the FX. By the way, I was a previous owner of an RX-300 and it was the BEST vehicle I have ever owned!

Old 06-14-06, 09:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Before I purchased my '04 was able to get my hands on both the RX330 and an FX35 for a day to drive around town take home overnight. Back then I thought the FX rode a little (actually was very noticeable) stiff due mostly, IMHO, to the tire and wheel package they had at the time. Not sure if they have retuned the suspension or not. Was nice for a short trip or if you are young and like to drive aggressively, but I am well past those days and wanted something with a bit more of a sedate drive to and from work. A long trip would have been a bit much on bad roads.

I also agree with JohnsRX in that the interior space and cargo space were better in the RX.

The FX does not have a full sized spare as the RX does either.

The FX35 does have more HP, larger gas tank, bigger (wider) wheels and tires with a 20" option, and has a manual shift mode on the transmission.

The cars seem targeted at two different types of drivers.
Old 06-15-06, 12:17 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

oh yea, dont know why i forgot about the ride. FX is stiff as a rock and not in a good way. If u dont have glass smooth roads u will hate it. RX on the other hand has a magic carpet ride.

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Before I purchased my '04 was able to get my hands on both the RX330 and an FX35 for a day to drive around town take home overnight. Back then I thought the FX rode a little (actually was very noticeable) stiff due mostly, ....
Old 06-15-06, 01:13 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Both are really great cars, but i personally would get the FX. The updated interior looks great and ive always loved the look of the exterior. It also drives like a sports car. The only reason why i would get the RX is because it is a little more roomy on the inside.
Old 06-15-06, 01:25 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everlexus
Hi All:

I am a GX-470 owner and trolled this forum a bit to try and find some info on what RX owners think about their ride vs the FX. The reason is, I have a good friend that is about to pull the trigger on a new car and I am pushing her to the RX but, she is leaning towards the FX. By the way, I was a previous owner of an RX-300 and it was the BEST vehicle I have ever owned!

If she is leaning toward the FX ask her why? She may like the sportier looks and ride of the FX. I prefer the plush Lexus interior and quieter ride along with a larger cargo. I found the FX to have great handling but the ride is stiff and the exhaust note gets bothersome on long trips. The FX has a terrible turning radius.

Lastly, you shouldn't try to convince her to buy something that she does not already favor. If she buys and RX and has buyer's remorse 6 months down, she is going to blame you (in her head or worse directly to you).
Old 06-15-06, 06:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2003LS430
The FX has a terrible turning radius.
Which is another major difference between the two if she is only looking at 2WD models -- the RX is FWD while the FX is RWD.
Old 06-15-06, 08:15 PM
neverest
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Which is another major difference between the two if she is only looking at 2WD models -- the RX is FWD while the FX is RWD.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't RWD cars have a smaller turning radius due to the fact that the wheels turning aren't being driven?
Old 06-15-06, 11:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neverest
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't RWD cars have a smaller turning radius due to the fact that the wheels turning aren't being driven?
A lot goes into the actual turning radius calculation, such as steering lock angle and wheelbase. However, if you were to develop the same car in both FWD and RWD configurations, I believe you would be correct. In the case of RX v. FX -- the FX turning radius is about a foot longer/wider than the RX. I believe the wheelbase is about 5 to 6 inches shorter on the RX. The RX tires are also a bit narrower, 235mm v. 265mm I believe, which might allow them to be turned slightly more than those of the FX without the worry of rubbing suspension parts or the wheel well itself, thus a greater steering lock angle -- in theory. Only way to tell would be to get the two side-by-side and start measuring.

Was not trying to corrolate the two, just that his comment made me remember that the two had different drive configurations. Sorry for any confusion.

Back on the topic of ride quality, I also wanted to clarify that the FX I had for a day had the sports package which included the 20" tire and wheel package. Definitely would not recommend that package. Stick with the 18" wheels and you might have a better ride in the FX. I remember when I was much younger that dad never liked borrowing any of the cars I ever owned as he felt their ride always to be too stiff for his liking. Used to say that they rode like I had over inflated the tires by 10 pounds. Of couse I had not. The point being is that I know what a stiff/sporty ride should feel like. In a two ton vehicle, you do not want to have too much body flex and you do not want too soft a ride that you feel detached from the road. The RX was a good compromise. The FX felt more like a slot car and I felt too much of the road being transmitted back through the vehicle. As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I think the two vehicles are designed with two different buyers in mind. As the buyer, she ultimately will need to get behind the wheel of each for an extended period of time to make the decision for herself.

Finally, just wanted to add that I did drive Infinitis for a number of years, right after they started coming out, and the dealer(s) I used were of the same quality or better than the local Lexus dealers. To this day I still get birthday cards from the person who sold me all of my Infinitis while the only time I hear from the Lexus dealership is when they want to sell me something or a follow up to service done. The Infiniti dealer would also never charge me to install wiper blades, for example, when I would come in to buy outside of normal servicing nor would they let me put them on myself. They would come out and put them on for me for no charge. The Lexus dealer always charges for this service and never offers to put them on for me when I purchase separate. So, if your local Infiniti dealers are anything like mine she should be happy on that side of the equation as well.

Of course, this is just one person's opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-16-06, 06:30 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't RWD cars have a smaller turning radius due to the fact that the wheels turning aren't being driven?"

I'm no engineer, but I think you are wrong. The turning radius of a car is not dependant on its drive wheels. Many, many RWD cars have a much larger turning radius than Front Wheel Drive cars of similar length. From what I know, I don't think there is any correlation. It's mostly due to the front steering wheel geometry and how far the wheels are designed to be turned from the center line (and the length of the car, of course).

The RX300 received negative comments due to its rather large turning radius, which was changed in the RX330, which turns in a much tighter circle, although I think the car itself is longer and wider by a little bit.

American cars, for some reason, probably cost, seem to have rather large turning circles compared to Japenese and European cars.

I think.
Old 06-25-06, 12:01 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

We are in the same market decision process.
RX is completely out. In-laws have a RX330. Cornering is too soft for us. Acceleration is ok at best.
In fact we prefer the 4Runner to the RX. Nicer interior, available V8, nice ride, etc...
Then along came the FX45 into the equation. A sports car crossover. Stiff ride (though softer than earlier years), very good acceleration, nice AWD, funky interior, expensive tires. None perfect but geared to different crowds. RX for luxury and smooth soft ride. FX for those looking for a SUV but unwilling to give up a sports car. X5 is ugly to us and the interior boring. Cadillac just will not find a place in our entire family.
Us? Not sure yet. 4Runner and FX still at the top of the list. Waiting to see what the new MDX holds from Acura.
Lee
Old 06-25-06, 07:52 AM
initiald
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
We are in the same market decision process.
RX is completely out. In-laws have a RX330. Cornering is too soft for us. Acceleration is ok at best.
In fact we prefer the 4Runner to the RX. Nicer interior, available V8, nice ride, etc...
Then along came the FX45 into the equation. A sports car crossover. Stiff ride (though softer than earlier years), very good acceleration, nice AWD, funky interior, expensive tires. None perfect but geared to different crowds. RX for luxury and smooth soft ride. FX for those looking for a SUV but unwilling to give up a sports car. X5 is ugly to us and the interior boring. Cadillac just will not find a place in our entire family.
Us? Not sure yet. 4Runner and FX still at the top of the list. Waiting to see what the new MDX holds from Acura.
Lee
I wouldn't say RX is completely out from what you said. Go try a RX350 or 400h.
Old 06-25-06, 08:00 AM
BN06
Rookie

Default It was between FX and RX for us . . .

It came down to interior access and comfort. The RX350 awd with performance package was a much better vehicle IMO. Equal power to the FX35, better interior space, better rear access, no hump in rear center seating position, adjustable suspension, power rear door, more luxurious interior. The FX had a few things we wanted on the RX. Touch entry and start. Performance oriented suspension/tire/wheel setup. The RX for '07 in the 350 has a better awd system than the FX however (IMO).

Ultimately, it came down to the fact (for us anyway) that the RX was the overall better vehicle. Price wise it was even (if you add similar options etc . . .). As the other response suggested, you really want to go try the RX350 before making a decision.

B

Quick Reply: RX-350 vs Infinity FX35/45