RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is NAV worth the extra $

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 08:53 PM
Foster 525
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is NAV worth the extra $

I am deciding if NAV (with the integrated rear-view camera) is worth getting, and paying the extra $2650 MSRP over a NON-NAV vehicle? Any thoughts/comments? Thank you.
Old 06-18-06, 09:09 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you intend to use it for a lot of travel, I can tell you from experience with my past 3 vehicles having NAV that it is not worth it. Call me dumb but the best feature about Nav is the rearview camera which is priceless for parallel parking. I know I could get the rearview camera aftermarket but it is not "factory".

Good luck on your decision.
Old 06-18-06, 09:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Foster 525
I am deciding if NAV (with the integrated rear-view camera) is worth getting, and paying the extra $2650 MSRP over a NON-NAV vehicle? Any thoughts/comments? Thank you.

I personally did not feel the extra initial cost worth it and was doubly convinced when I heard what the update costs were for the new DVD maps. Instead, I purchased a separate and portable GPS/NAV product. Not only can I easily transfer it from car to car, even to a rental car when I am on the road, but updating the maps is a whole lot cheaper in the long run. Individuals have also complained about the Lexus NAV product in that you cannot change locations or work with the unit unless the car is in park. Lexus, and perhaps other manufacturers have a reason for this in that the driver needs to concentrate on the road, but it also blocks the front passenger from operating the unit.

Those in states like CA, however, may need to use other criteria in their selection as they are not allowed to attach anything to the windshield -- no matter the device. This includes GPA/NAV, radar detectors, etc. There are a few other states which have the same law, so check before you purchase any non-Lexus portable GPS/NAV product.

Unless that rear-view camera is important to you or you travel to a lot and especially off the beaten path, I would save your money if saving money is really important to you. If you have the cash to burn, it is a neat item to play with.
Old 06-18-06, 09:55 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Well other then the obvious advantage of navigation and back up camera, you get a whole new luxury feel to the car. You get to control climate and many other options from the touch screen, while in a regular RX, everything seems like a regular car.

To me, I don't think it was quite necessary, I've only used it a few times a month to actually find places, but the backup camera works wonders in parking.
Old 06-18-06, 10:15 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Get it
Old 06-18-06, 11:49 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I purchased a non Navi RX, but now I want it with the Navi and the goodies
Old 06-18-06, 11:50 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

It saved my car from running over a chair in the garage today! It's worth it just for that

I drove a loaner RX330 without it and it felt a lot less luxurious. The back up camera has elicited the biggest wow from people who've sat in my RX350.
Old 06-19-06, 12:14 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my first lexus was non-navi. after that, i always bought nav b/c those once or twice a month times i need it it really comes in handy. i don't think i can go back to a non-nav car now.

some other helpful decision factors, other than the obvious directional guidance and parking help:

1. the nav data also contains a ton of POI information for businesses, restaurants, etc. i actually use that more often than directions. say i want to call a restaurant for take out - i can get it from the nav and have the bluetooth dial it for me. i know the true cost is only about $2.00 or whatever your cell provider charges, but that alone is a huge help IMO not to have to pick up my phone.

2. even if you know where you are going, the nav is sometimes a nice sanity check. i go up to LA a lot for work and although i already know how to get to my destination, i like to have the nav going on mute just so i can see my progress. the traffic can get bad, and it's helpful to know how far i am away at all times in case i am running late or run into a jam. (the same goes for the "are we there yet" factor when we go on our 7 hr road trip for skiing)

3. there is a known software hack for the lexus nav that basically you use each time you anticipate having to use your nav while in motion. basically i use it if i'm going somewhere unfamiliar or if i have a front passenger who can enter data for me. the software code eliminates the dreaded safety feature that doesn't allow you to enter destinations or access POI data while on the move. you must do it each time you start the car, but like i said, only when you feel you will need it.

4. keep in mind that you aren't paying the full MSRP on the nav (unless you are paying sticker on the car). so the all end cost is not the sticker price. and it's a feature that adds value to the car at resale, so your true cost again is not what you are paying for it (in case you are trying to mathematically figure out what each use costs you )

hope that helps, good luck with your decision !
Old 06-19-06, 05:04 AM
barry_s
Driver School Candidate

It seems silly to spend >$40k for a new car and not get an amazing piece of added technology for about 5% more.
Note: The voice commands allow you to input most of the Nav commands while you are driving. I also recently learned the simple input required at start-up to get around the screen lockout.
Old 06-19-06, 05:14 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory nav system has excellent software - Toyota/Lexus nav is often rated as the best of any car manufacturer worldwide.

If you drive more than 10 miles from home on a regular basis (long commute, sales calls, trips, etc.), then it's a really nice thing to have. Even if you're familiar with major arterial roads, it's nice to be able to see the nearby side streets when the main road is blocked by an accident or construction. For 100+ mile trips, some sort of nav system is a must in my opinion. Even if you know the way, it's nice to know *exactly* where you're at if you break down and need help.

The 2004+ nav systems also have a backup camera, which is a nice feature, too.

The only real drawback to it is the money. The initial investment is sort of steep, and you can get similar functionality for less from an aftermarket solution. You will spend over $1000 for an aftermarket system with a decent size screen, though. Also, I've traded in two cars with nav, and the nav adds no more than $1000 to the trade-in and retail value of the car. Looking at my RX330 on Edmunds right now, it puts the nav as adding $862 retail, $673 trade-in. That's been a big disappointment. I have yet to see a car with nav sit on the lot very long (assuming it's clean and everything else is OK), but yet the dealers don't think it's worth much of a prermium on the used car.
Old 06-19-06, 06:31 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

When I bought my SC430 in April of '01, the NAV system, although technically an "option" at that time, was installed on well over 90% of the cars. My initial reaction was that here was an expensive toy that they are making me buy and that will be fun to show my friends, but I doubt that I will use it all that much.

After some real world use, I wouldn't be without it. Whether in town or (especially) on the road, it's the greatest.

Last year, when I went shopping for a used RX330, my directions to the used car sales department were: any one of these three colors and it must have NAV. The other options are not critical.

Also, I did notice in looking at the used cars, that everyone of them, from the '02 models through the '05 models, all still had the original data disc in them -- no owner had upgraded to a newer data disc. I upgraded mine in Jan of '06. It's not something you need to do every year, for sure, so if you amoritze that cost over 4 or 5 years, it's not much to keep the data up to date.
Old 06-19-06, 07:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I also will never be without Nav and the Lexus has one of the best, if not the best , systems available. In my case the NAV cost also included the ML audio which is very good.

I travel a lot to cities I have not been in before. I never need a map. I just pop in the address and go. When there I can take any side trips (POI's), restaurants, etc., and/or wander around and it is simple to find your way back. While I wish the NAV more easily allowed for passenger data entry while moving, I still think that NAV is an option I will never be without.
Old 06-19-06, 07:51 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by darksparkz
You get to control climate and many other options from the touch screen, while in a regular RX, everything seems like a regular car..
I actually find that annoying that I have to go through the touchscreen to control fan speed or vent mode. I hated that on my Prius. Lexus should have designed it like the Sienna and had those controls via buttons so they are easier to access.
Old 06-19-06, 08:09 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

i live near NYC and cant live without the NAV
Old 06-19-06, 08:12 AM
tsings31
Driver School Candidate

IMHO it's worth getting. I use mine every chance I get. Two years ago while in North Carolina, I took a trip from Raleigh to a somewhat rural part of the state and the NAV system delivered me practically to the front door of my destination. I use that story as an example of how good the system works.

Since my RX is a 2004, I plan on buying the latest DVD NAV version so that I can have a more up to date database.

And of course the rear view camera is a real plus! I don't think you'll regret getting the NAV.

Quick Reply: Is NAV worth the extra $