RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 RX 330 Oil Filter Location??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 05:47 AM
Rufus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 RX 330 Oil Filter Location??

Trying to change the oil for the first time on the wife's RX330. 'Have the oil panel off, but can't see the filter ('Haven't jacked up the car yet.). Based on the filter I bought yeaterday at my Lexus dealer, the filter is now a cartridge type rather than a spin on. Can anyone help with it's location????

Also, what about the tool for removing the filter cartridge 'cap'? Absolutely necessary? the same as another tool?

Thanks,
Bob S.
Old 06-21-06, 06:17 AM
X72
Driver School Candidate

Rufus, I don't know the answer to your question, but I have seen pictures online of the new toyota oil filter cartridge system. Try the ES350 forum or try Toyota forums at Toyota Nation for similar vehicles; it may give you a hint as to where the filter is and what the cap looks like.

The European manufacturers went to these cartridge filters for environmental reasons years ago (less waste and easier to dispose of). I think the filter makers like them because they charge higher prices for them. I just picked up a bunch of Purolator Premium filters for $1 after rebate. Even the denso spin-on filters are on sale at the dealer for about $4. I bet these new cartridge filters are more expensive (less expensive to produce, weigh less so less expensive to ship, charge higher prices -- all around an excellent deal for the filter maker and for the Toyota dealers).
Old 06-21-06, 06:36 AM
M_Murrell
Driver School Candidate

You'll need an oil filter wrench for spin on filters. The size is 65mm-67mm - 14 flutes.

Wal-Mart sells one that carries the Valvoline name. This item is widely available at the mass-marketer auto parts stores..ie..Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc.

If it's the same setup as the RX350 and the Avalon(and I think it is), you simply spin the housing off with the wrench. The filter is an insert type that goes down inside the housing. It likely comes with 2 gaskets - 1 large - 1 small and instructions inside the box. There may also be a 2 in. plastic pipe in the box. I'll dig around for some visual instructions I posted here the other day. You'll be able to see if this lines up with your situation.

See if this helps.

http://members.***.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf
Old 06-21-06, 07:04 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Back In Time?

Why would this be better? This is 40 year old stuff. Maybe a company will come up with a spin off replacement cartridge. Lets hope so as those old type were messy, oil all over the place.

1st BAD News I have heard about the 2007 models, is this on all models of the 2007's??
Old 06-21-06, 07:57 AM
M_Murrell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Why would this be better? This is 40 year old stuff.
xfirechief:

I hear ya. Mercedes used this approach on a lot of the 126 models throughout the 80s and 90s..

On another forum, one member claimed that more oil could be extracted from the recycling process using this type of element vs. the spin on type. I suppose it's possible the tree huggers are behind this, just as I suspect they are with the newer 5000 mile oil change interval.
Old 06-21-06, 08:03 AM
Rufus
Driver School Candidate

Default Mystery Solved

Hi All - Thanks for the replys.

After removing the front underbody panel, I saw a spin on type filter, P/N 90915 YZZD1.

It turns out the parts counter at my Lexus dealer sold me the wrong filter. ARRRRGH@#%^&**!!!!

Since I'd driven quite a distance (probably 35 miles, one way) to the dealer, they're arranging their parts driver to meet me part way tomorrow with the correct parts. Yea! They're also discounting the price of the correct parts considerably to compensate for the mistake.

My take on why a carmaker would revert back to the old cartidge design----it's slightly more friendly to the environment. Allows the recovery of more used oil for recycling, burning, or whatever. Thoroughly draining a spin-on filter is difficult, so if you replace the paper filter element (cartridge) only, the used oil can theoretically be wrung out more easily for recycling.

P.S. Contrary to what some others have reported here (on CL), I have to remove both underbody panels (front and 'oil' panel) for oil change access (no big deal). I also must raise my RX330 to clear my oil drain pan.....again no biggie. Finally, my strap wrench removed the old filter.....I didn't need to buy another tool (I already have 4 different oil filter wrenches).

Best Regards,
Bob S.

1966 327/350 Corvette
1967 Porsche 911S Sunroof Coupe
1993 Mustang Cobra
2003 Honda S2000
1970 914-6 VarioRam (project being planned)
ERA 427 Cobra Replica (R.I.P. as of 3/'05)

Last edited by Rufus; 06-21-06 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-21-06, 08:09 AM
M_Murrell
Driver School Candidate

Bob:

The 90915-YZZD1 filter is a Toyota part number used on MANY of their models. You can buy it from any Toyota dealer. I'll bet the Lexus dealer is charging you double for the same filter.
Old 06-21-06, 09:47 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 90915-YZZD1 filter is 74mm flat to flat across, if your in the market for a cap filter removal wrench.

Always wipe the filter contact surface on the engine dry, inspecting for a previous filter seal stuck to this surface... This happens sometimes when oil is used to lubricate the filter seal.

I use bearing grease on the seal, then hand tighten and final tighten an additional 1/4 turn.
Old 06-21-06, 11:24 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Why would this be better? This is 40 year old stuff. Maybe a company will come up with a spin off replacement cartridge. Lets hope so as those old type were messy, oil all over the place.

1st BAD News I have heard about the 2007 models, is this on all models of the 2007's??
I actually like the replacable cartridge because I can see the what is in the filter material w/o cutting the filter open. Information is $.
Old 06-21-06, 04:32 PM
Rufus
Driver School Candidate

Default 90915-YZZD1 Oil Filter

Originally Posted by M_Murrell
Bob:

The 90915-YZZD1 filter is a Toyota part number used on MANY of their models. You can buy it from any Toyota dealer. I'll bet the Lexus dealer is charging you double for the same filter.
Thanks M_Murrell, I'll bet you're right!! For the 1st change I wanted to go with the "known correct" part. Until now, I had no idea of the p/n, or that this website existed. From now on I'll get the filter from Toyota, or........:

Anyone know of a mail order source of Toyota parts that's less expensive than a dealer?

Best Regards,
Bob S.
Old 06-21-06, 04:43 PM
X72
Driver School Candidate

Rufus, I got the -YZZD1 filters at www.irontoad.com for a reasonable price.

TunedRX300, I can live with the cartridge filter. I have lived with it in a 03 Mercedes E320 we own. But in that case, the filter housing is on top of the engine in plain site and easy to work on, just like BMW does it also.

However, in the new Lexus/Toyota 3.5L engine, they obviously added the filter to an old engine architecture putting the oil filter housing on the bottom. A real mess in my opinion.
Old 06-21-06, 05:20 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Note that several part numbers are correct for the RX.
Toyota only makes one size filter each for 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, and 8 cylinder motors. To confuse the issue, the part number changes not with the application, but with the country in which the filter was made.
See this thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190313
Old 06-21-06, 06:15 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you get the filter and the engine has cooled down for a couple of hours, you should be able to reach behind the exhaust collector, by feel, and hook up your filter wrench. Spin it off, put the new on one and away you go.

Don't you just Toyota engineering?

Gary
Old 06-22-06, 04:25 AM
Rufus
Driver School Candidate

Default Drain Plug Torque Spec?

Anyone know the torque spec for tightening the oil drain plug on this vehicle?

Thanks,
Bob S.
Old 06-22-06, 05:55 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Should be the same as the 300 and 330 engines....

With a new plug seal, 35 Ft Lbs. I grease mine prior to installing.

Quick Reply: 2006 RX 330 Oil Filter Location??