RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 RX350 A Cheap SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 06:14 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

When Honda started Accord production in the US, there was an overlap where the same car was still being made in Japan. The initial reaction was to try to find one made in Japan for quality reasons. Detailed comparisons at the time showed very little difference in the cars regardless of assembly location. The only area where there was a noticable difference was in the paint. The Ohio assembled cars had better paint jobs! This was because the newer plant had a newer and better controlled painting equipment. The difference in quality is really in the management approach and goals, not in the guys turning the wrenches. The Honda plant success was a real blow to American car makers who blamed the workers for poor quality.

I would have no concerns about the Canadian built Lexus products. Camrys come from Kentucky and the quality is very good.
Steve
Old 07-03-06, 08:31 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I would have no concerns about the Canadian built Lexus products. Camrys come from Kentucky and the quality is very good.
Steve
It's also worth to note that Canadian-assembled RXs have most parts coming from the U.S., so Canadians are not always to blame for the issues. For example, some RX330 owners complained about the engine's NVH not up to the usual Lexus standard. The engines came from a Toyota powertrain plant in West Virginia.
Old 07-03-06, 10:34 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only Canadian built car we receive in Australia is the Honda MDX. The quality really sucks in that car. I sat in it and could immediately identify at least 5 quality problems.

Similarly in or around 1998 we switched from Japanese built Accords to American built ones. The American built Accords were nowhere near the level of quality as their Japanese predecessors. In fact, they were so crap that Honda Australia started importing the Accords from Thailand. The Thai Accords are actually really great.

So, I would not be surprised if Canadian RX350s were not as well built as Japanese ones. I am just thankful that Lexus Australia has not flirted with the idea of importing the North American Lexuses.
Old 07-03-06, 11:53 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matters
So, I would not be surprised if Canadian RX350s were not as well built as Japanese ones. I am just thankful that Lexus Australia has not flirted with the idea of importing the North American Lexuses.
What makes you think that? Has anyone really complained about the crappy quality of Canadian RX350s? From another poster:

Lexus has proven it might be the only luxury car company capable of building quality cars outside their home country in North America. BMW, Benz and Acura have had tremendous difficulties in doing so.
Old 07-04-06, 04:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
What makes you think that? Has anyone really complained about the crappy quality of Canadian RX350s? From another poster:
Exactly. Lexus knows its backbone is quality, they HAVE to build quality products. We have had members take the Canadaian plant tour and left very impressed. They painstakingly built that plant just for Canadains, its not just some replica of one in Japan. Its built FOR them to make things easy and as high quality as possible.

Not all cars made in Japan are top quality cars, look at NIssans or Mitsubishi for example.

Toyota/Lexus has a BELIEF and PHILOSOPHY on building cars, so no matter WHERE they are built, management has a clear vision and this goes down to workers and even suppliers, everyone is on the SAME PAGE.

I would have no issues having a Canadian made RX, which is not what I said a couple years ago.
Old 07-04-06, 03:01 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larrym9681
I do not have a 350 but last year's RX 330. I wish I would have never bought it. No complaints, just no excitement either, just a ho hum car. I am 59 years od and have owned MANY cars. Sorry, just my feelings.

Aloha

That's how I felt as well. I ended up trading my wife's 2005 330 for a new 350 and couldn't be happier! I just didn't feel the sprint/passing speed for how I like to drive. The 330 is a GREAT car and there is almost no difference except the power. My wife never noticed it but I feel more comfortable taking the highways in the 350.

The main reason for the change was to get Nav and backup camera but we didn't like the feel of the demo hybrid we tried so we waited for the 350 and now all is well in Lexus comfort land. It's no slalom burner but I feel very confident on highways!

Both are great cars! If you are lucky enough to own a Lexus . . . enjoy!!

Jay
Old 07-05-06, 07:10 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

My 350 is great. It's faster than the 330 and it does ride better. It's an SUV and not a sportscar, although for an SUV I think it handles really well. I drive pretty agressively, especially around corners and I feel very comfortable doing it. Not much body lean. When I want power and handling I drive my corvette. Remember, it's an SUV...it's bigger and wieghs more than a car. If you want sportscar handling and power, buy a sportscar.
Old 07-06-06, 11:26 AM
hyiu
Driver School Candidate

Smile

After reading this thread, I decide to put in my $0.02 cents of personal opinoin...
I own an 06 Rx 330 AWD...

I don't think its fun to drive this car... (its not a fun car to begin with... for fun, I rather drive my 13 yr old Acura Legend coupe... even that's more fun...)

but I do think its a well build car, convinent, and easy to drive around... a practical car that can hold all my mess and with enough gagets to keep me busy when needed (I have the NAV & dvd player...)

Its only 5 months old, and no pblms yet... (keep my fingers crossed...) and its build in Canada...

----------

I did not do any statistics, or other measures, but in my heart, I do believe that Jap made cars are better in quality on average... if I have a choice, will I take a Jap made RX over a Canada made RX ?? Yes.

But till now, I'm happy with my Rx, and I still think my Canada made RX does live up to the Lexus quality so far....

if your Rx rattles, doors don't line up, lines not straight, have pblms, then you probably didn't get the best of Lexus...

but if you find the car not fun to drive, then I think the pblm is not with the car itself... there's a reason why Lexus have all these different models of cars for different people.... and my guess is.. Rx's main attraction point is not really for sporty / performance / fun....

good luck to all....
Old 07-06-06, 11:38 AM
1Lieutenant
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just purchased an '07 RX 350. Previously owned a 2001 ES 300. My observations are that the interior and exterior are no different in quality levels. Fit and finish in the '07 equals or surpasses the '01 Japanese made vehicle. The engine idles more smoothly, pulls strongly, and is quieter than the ES 300. Ride is smooth with no rattles even over the roughest of roads. (There are some nasty ones in New England).

I actually didn't realize mine was made in Canada until I read this forum. I couldn't be happier with the vehicle.

For what it is worth, my '01 went through four batteries and two alternators in my five years of ownership. Dealer and regional rep could never find the problem. So much for the superiority of Japanese made Lexuses. (Admittedly a sample of one)

Steve

'07 RX 350
Premium Plus
Bamboo Pearl
Ivory
Soon to have XM or Sirius
650 miles