RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Using Phonebook while moving

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 10:52 PM
srashid
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Phonebook while moving

I have a 2005 RX330 with the Bluetooth system. Does anybody have a hack, similar to the one for the NAV system, which will allow use of the phonebook while moving? (not the 1-touch numbers, I know about those).

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-06, 07:34 PM
ndorjee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by srashid
I have a 2005 RX330 with the Bluetooth system. Does anybody have a hack, similar to the one for the NAV system, which will allow use of the phonebook while moving? (not the 1-touch numbers, I know about those).

Thanks in advance.
Is there a way to hack the one touch numbers? I find it odd for Lexus not to allow those one touch numbers to display while the vehicle is moving. It would seem to be quite safe to use those buttons.

As for the phone hack, I saw some instructions in the IS discussions. It looked like lot of work ... opening the unit and cutting couple of wires.
Old 08-10-06, 10:17 PM
srashid
Driver

Originally Posted by ndorjee
Is there a way to hack the one touch numbers? I find it odd for Lexus not to allow those one touch numbers to display while the vehicle is moving. It would seem to be quite safe to use those buttons.

As for the phone hack, I saw some instructions in the IS discussions. It looked like lot of work ... opening the unit and cutting couple of wires.
ndorjee, the 1-touch numbers can be used while moving without any hack, it's just the phonebook entries which are restricted. However, for the 1-touch numbers you have to have names entered as well as numbers, because the numbers disappear when you're moving, names still display.

If you cannot transfer contacts to the phonebook via Bluetooth because you are on Verizon, let me know and I will post a workaropund.

Also by the way I got the info for the phone-hack but thanks anyway.
Old 08-11-06, 01:13 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 1-touch numbers only show the NAME, not the actual numbers. so if you have not programmed the names and have been saving one-touch entries by previous call lists, then you are SOL when driving. well, you can memorize 1-18 and do it that way i guess

there is a hack. you have to cut the speed sensing wire to the display. it's very easy, less than 30 minutes. we did it on my friend's RX400h and ALL the bluetooth functions are operable in motion now. i also did it to our GS. both cars have the Gen 4 nav system, which should be the same as your 05 RX. obviously you are voiding the warranty for those components (although you may put it back in "factory" condition later if you choose), so you have to decide whether it's worth it or not to you. i can tell you though that many people on this forum (RX, GS, IS, GX) have done it with no adverse effects after more than a year.
Old 08-13-06, 10:28 PM
ndorjee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by srashid
ndorjee, the 1-touch numbers can be used while moving without any hack, it's just the phonebook entries which are restricted. However, for the 1-touch numbers you have to have names entered as well as numbers, because the numbers disappear when you're moving, names still display.

If you cannot transfer contacts to the phonebook via Bluetooth because you are on Verizon, let me know and I will post a workaropund.

Also by the way I got the info for the phone-hack but thanks anyway.
Oh... I have both Blackberry 8700 and Motorola V710 -- neither allow phonebook transfer. I find it odd that there does not appear to be any bluetooth phone that is fully compatible to the Lexus Bluetooth (atleast not in Canada). My RX is US model. Can you please post the workaround for this?
Thank you.

I did see the instructions regarding cutting some wires... Is there a graphical instruction for RX330? Mine is 2005.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-06, 10:33 PM
ndorjee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
the 1-touch numbers only show the NAME, not the actual numbers. so if you have not programmed the names and have been saving one-touch entries by previous call lists, then you are SOL when driving. well, you can memorize 1-18 and do it that way i guess

there is a hack. you have to cut the speed sensing wire to the display. it's very easy, less than 30 minutes. we did it on my friend's RX400h and ALL the bluetooth functions are operable in motion now. i also did it to our GS. both cars have the Gen 4 nav system, which should be the same as your 05 RX. obviously you are voiding the warranty for those components (although you may put it back in "factory" condition later if you choose), so you have to decide whether it's worth it or not to you. i can tell you though that many people on this forum (RX, GS, IS, GX) have done it with no adverse effects after more than a year.
Lexus Lover,
Is it just the matter of cutting the speed sensing wire? Would you have instructions on opening the panel and reaching in to the back of the NAV unit? If you say it is easy, I might try it.
Thanks!
Old 08-13-06, 10:43 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Does cutting the speed-sensing wire also allow you to enter destinations while moving (thereby eliminating having to do the NAV hack each time you start the car)? Allow you to access the playlists on the NAV screen while moving?
Old 08-13-06, 11:11 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the speed sensor to the display unfortunately has nothing to do with the nav hack (entering dest while driving).

i have some instructions on this forum for installing the SLI ipod unit from Vais. getting to the wires on the back of the display is 1 more step to remove the display module and then 1 add'l step for cutting the right wire (and tape up with elec tape). that's all it is. you can take a look at the work required to do the SLI install to see if you are comfortable with it.

i have an 04 which is a Gen 3 nav so my wires are different colors than the 05 RX, so you would have to obtain the wiring diagram for the 05 to be certain what color/pin # to cut and go from there. the cost is $10/day to access all the repair manuals and diagrams, or you could post another thread and see if anyone with an 05 has one.

on a side note, if you are wanting to unlock most of the safety-blocked functions of your 05 or 06 RX, Coastaletech has recently released its "ULTIMATE LOCKPICK" which unlocks BT AND NAV functions and DVD player (if you have RSES). it is $229 and does not require cutting wires, although you still have to open up your center stack to get to the harnesses. my 04 is not compatible, but if it was i would have invested in this unit. my wire cutting solution was the only option i had, and it costs nothing. but this lockpick is very nice and sounds like a fantastic deal to me:
http://coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm
Old 08-14-06, 09:52 AM
srashid
Driver

Originally Posted by ndorjee
Oh... I have both Blackberry 8700 and Motorola V710 -- neither allow phonebook transfer. I find it odd that there does not appear to be any bluetooth phone that is fully compatible to the Lexus Bluetooth (atleast not in Canada). My RX is US model. Can you please post the workaround for this?
Thank you.

I did see the instructions regarding cutting some wires... Is there a graphical instruction for RX330? Mine is 2005.

Thanks.
Bluetooth Speed Disconnect

I'll try to put this into word without pics.

1.Remove bezel around shifter start at the bottom 4 clips

2.remove heated seat panel cig lighter 2 clips pull it toward you

3.you will see 2 gold 10mm bolts remove them

4. now you have to get your head down low and look up you will see a 10mm gold bolt on both sides of the radio remove them be careful not to lose them.

5. You need to grab the bottom of the radio and give it a little tug there is a couple of clips holding it in. 6. Now unplug 2 antenna's and 3 plugs going to the radio remove and set it aside.

7. Now that the radio is out of the way you will see 2 silver 10mm bolts facing up holding in the nav screen remove them.

8. Now tug on the bottom of the nav screen a couple of times and it should come out.

9. Have another person in the driver seat to hold the nav screen so you can do the work.

10. From the passenger seat when you look at the the back of the nav screen you will see a baby blue wire at the bottom left corner of the plug.

11. That baby blue wire cut it far enough away from the radio so you can reconnect it if you want to and tape both sides.

Now put it all back together in reverse.
And now you can dial from nav screen while driving.
This fix is for rx330/rx400

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entering contacts into RX phonebook if you cannot do it via your cellphone (usually Verizon users)

The only way I was able to download my phonebook to the car was to buy a used Sony T68 handset on eBay, as well as a Cingular SIM card. This is not that expensive (I paid about $70 in total).

Also I believe most SonyEricsson handsets with Bluetooth will work, it doesn’t have to be a T68.

Then copy all your contacts to the T68, which works seamlessly with the Lexus and easily uploads the entire phonebook to the car in one go.

There is no need to ever sign-up for a service contract with Cingular, and once the numbers are loaded you can use your Verizon phone with the car and still access the numbers/names in the car's phonebook.