RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Auto Lights/Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 10:58 AM
srashid
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Lights/Wipers

I have a 2005 RX330, which I've had about a month. I traded in my 2002 Merc ML320 for it and while it's far superior in most respects, the auto lights and wipers are not as good as on the Merc.

The wipers are a bit slow to respond even on the most sensitive setting, but the main problem is the lights.

I use auto headlights for tunnels and when entering the parking garage at the office, and whereas on my Merc. the lights would flick on immediately on entering the garage or tunnel, on the Lexus it seems to take about 20 seconds before they respond.

Are they all like this or do you think I have a fault on mine?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-06, 11:09 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

The sensitivity of the automatic headlights can be increased by the dealer as a LPS (Lexus Personalized Setting), but I'm not sure if doing so shortens the response time. Standard factory setting is on level 3. You can increase to level 1 (very light).
Old 07-06-06, 11:25 AM
srashid
Driver

Default auto lights

Yes I had the lights set to stage 2 by the dealer, normal setting is 3, but I don't think that's the problem, I believe that just alters the degree of light they respond to. My problem is more with how long they take to respond when it's dark.
Old 07-06-06, 12:04 PM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

My guess is that the delay in activation is to avoid the brief on/off cycle which would happen when a transient darkness hits during the day or when a brief flood of light hits the car at night. It's probably designed to wait a bit to be sure the change in level of ambient illumination is not an aberrant situation.

I've never checked to see if this interval is adjustible as noted above, since I don't use that feature anyway. PS: There are reports that leaving the lights set to AUTO for long periods of vehicle non-use (like a week or so) can drain the battery.
Old 07-06-06, 03:37 PM
srashid
Driver

Default auto lights

So tfischer yours operates the same as mine, i.e with the delay? If so then obviously no point in asking the dealer to check anything.

One other thing, I have driven off a couple of times without lights on because the instrument lighting is similar to most other cars after you switched the lights on.
Old 07-07-06, 02:06 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ssrashid--I too have an '02 ML320, and it takes about 3-5 seconds for the lights to come on in tunnels or parking garages. It is a little better than the RX.

The only thing I don't like about the ML, is that it's kind of dark, like during the sunset that it turns on. By then, I'd like to have the headlights turned on.

On both cars, I have left the lights on Auto for a few days without driving it, and the next time I did drive them, I got a low battery type warning. Turned off the Auto, and a few hours later it was alright.
Old 07-07-06, 02:27 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

PS: There are reports that leaving the lights set to AUTO for long periods of vehicle non-use (like a week or so) can drain the battery.
On both cars, I have left the lights on Auto for a few days without driving it, and the next time I did drive them, I got a low battery type warning. Turned off the Auto, and a few hours later it was alright.
I don't get it. Why would leaving it on Auto when the engine and lights are completely off with the ignition not even turned to the ready position (absent the key) drain the battery? Leaving it on Auto is continuously monitoring for light when the key is not even in?
Old 07-07-06, 03:03 PM
tfischer

"Leaving it on Auto is continuously monitoring for light when the key is not even in?"

Yep. That's what we figure. Makes no sense, since there is no need to have that monitor on all the time, but that's what people are reporting.
Old 07-07-06, 03:58 PM
srashid
Driver

Default auto lights

Thanks for the tip guys, those auto-lights are staying off from now on.

I have had experience years ago of coming back to the car (not the RX) after a flight and finding a flat battery and it is not fun!
Old 07-07-06, 04:01 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I think it does monitor the light all the time, or at least once in a while. I think it's like for when you unlock the car, the lights come on, but how would it know to turn the lights on without monitoring the ambient light?

I do still keep the Auto lights on as the auto-delay off, and "tracking" feature is nice so you can see when you get out, and when you unlock you can see where you car is, and the area around it is lit up. Makes me feel safer in a "rough" neighborhood.

So far I haven't had the battery warning again.
Old 07-07-06, 04:10 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've left mine on auto since the day i bought it (March 2003) and i've never drained the battery once. i just park in the garage, the lights come on, and then i close the door and walk away (and 20-30 sec later the lights turn off on their own). i don't think putting it on Auto necessarily drains the battery. i've gone up to 2-3 weeks without driving it and it still starts on the original battery...
Old 07-08-06, 08:12 AM
tfischer

For what it's worth, I think the headlights go off 30 seconds after the key is removed regardless of the position of the switch. In other words, I don't think it has to be set to AUTO for this particular feature.
Old 07-08-06, 07:48 PM
smalcom
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i've left mine on auto since the day i bought it (March 2003) and i've never drained the battery once. i just park in the garage, the lights come on, and then i close the door and walk away (and 20-30 sec later the lights turn off on their own). i don't think putting it on Auto necessarily drains the battery. i've gone up to 2-3 weeks without driving it and it still starts on the original battery...
I left my 2004 RX330 in my garage for just short of 3 weeks in May when I went on a cruise. When I came back and tried to start the car it was as dead as a doornail. Not even the instruments would light up. I did have the car lights set for auto. Triple A came and jump started it and it was fine. Was able to drive to the dealer to pick up the 400h I ordered just before I left.
Old 07-08-06, 10:54 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I leave my light switch on ON all the time--so whenever I start the car my lights are ON! I never switch my lights to off---no need to....Been doing it for over 2 years now
Old 07-09-06, 05:37 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
I leave my light switch on ON all the time--so whenever I start the car my lights are ON! I never switch my lights to off---no need to....Been doing it for over 2 years now
Why would you need to if there's already DRLs?

Quick Reply: Auto Lights/Wipers