RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Vaistech SLI installation instructions w/ pics for 04-07 RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 04:07 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey i've seen your avant on audizine! i check in on AZ/AW from time to time, and i remember seeing your avant on various threads - it looked so new, how come you sold it?

p.s. i did the brilliant black filler panel w/ no plate - that is pretty much my only exterior mod. what did you do w/ the avant? i love those RS4 reps, i really want to upgrade mine
Old 07-05-07, 04:18 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Audizine is a great site, even though some of the A4 threads get out of hand. Kids these days.

We had some family issues that, other than the word 'stepson' I won't bore everyone with, along with a desire to consolidate the number of vehicles in the household. As much as I loved it, the back seat in the A4 was way too small for adults. Even though it held all my music gear, it was realistically a two-seater...which doesn't work well for us.

Along with the wheels I had the Stasis street/sport suspension and the RS4 rear anti-sway bar. The thing handled like it was on rails...by far the finest handling car I've ever owned. I had a bit of fun with the exterior. Along with the front plate insert, I added the rear roof spoiler and the S4 rear lower valance and dual SS exhaust tips on each side. When the timing is right I suspect I'll own another Audi someday, likely an S4. A truly amazing vehicle.

Old 08-04-07, 07:47 PM
COLDAM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Member Needs Advice

I am about to self-install XM in my 2005 Rx330 with navigation, no ML, and will follow these instructions for disassembly and SLI mounting. However, where do I put the XMD 1000 unit?
How about the antenna?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-07, 03:48 PM
lguay
Driver School Candidate

Hey Lexuslover, thank you so much for these instructions. I installed the my
Sl2i last night in about 1/2 hour. It works perfectly, I must have read your post 100 times before I did the install. I was worried, but when I read you are woman I figured I could do it to because I am a woman also. The install went flawless I didn't even lose the 10 mm bolts! Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-26-07, 04:54 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by lguay
Hey Lexuslover, thank you so much for these instructions. I installed the my
Sl2i last night in about 1/2 hour. It works perfectly, I must have read your post 100 times before I did the install. I was worried, but when I read you are woman I figured I could do it to because I am a woman also. The install went flawless I didn't even lose the 10 mm bolts! Thanks again for the info.
you're welcome! glad it worked out. and welcome to ClubLexus from one female member to another!!
Old 09-27-07, 09:45 AM
lguay
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!
Old 09-27-07, 11:44 AM
kpblade
Driver School Candidate

Did any of you that did the install have to disconnect the battery before starting the install? Thanks
Old 09-29-07, 09:36 PM
sewnsurg
Driver School Candidate

Smile Vaistech install on 2007 RX350

Anyone have any experience with this? How does it differ from instructions already posted for 2004 which is somewhat different?
Old 09-30-07, 10:02 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by kpblade
Did any of you that did the install have to disconnect the battery before starting the install? Thanks
no, but i kept the car off with key out of ignition
Old 09-30-07, 10:04 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by sewnsurg
Anyone have any experience with this? How does it differ from instructions already posted for 2004 which is somewhat different?
it's the same for 04-08 AFAIK, the body is the same and the headunit and radio assembly have not changed.
Old 10-03-07, 07:22 PM
JoeRX
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer Installed?

I just bought an '08 RX350 with Nav, but without the ML system. This is my first Lexus, and after 3 days I really like it!

I wanted an iPod hookup but it's not offered as a factory option. I didn't think I could do this myself, and I was worried about voiding the factory warranty, so I opted for a dealer install. They are charging me $800 (ouch!) to do it. I am assuming this is the adapter they will use; are there any other potential options?

Are there any things I should worry about? If they drop the bolts am I going to have a new car with rattles? They said the iPod adapter will come out in the center console, so are they drilling holes in the floor pan? Is there a chance this will introduce engine noise/whine into the audio feed?

I guess I'm just wondering what I need to check for when I get the car back. I've heard Lexus has excellent service departments, but I'm still a bit nervous to have someone hack on my new and somewhat expensive car.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-07, 08:10 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by JoeRX
I just bought an '08 RX350 with Nav, but without the ML system. This is my first Lexus, and after 3 days I really like it!

I wanted an iPod hookup but it's not offered as a factory option. I didn't think I could do this myself, and I was worried about voiding the factory warranty, so I opted for a dealer install. They are charging me $800 (ouch!) to do it. I am assuming this is the adapter they will use; are there any other potential options?

Are there any things I should worry about? If they drop the bolts am I going to have a new car with rattles? They said the iPod adapter will come out in the center console, so are they drilling holes in the floor pan? Is there a chance this will introduce engine noise/whine into the audio feed?

I guess I'm just wondering what I need to check for when I get the car back. I've heard Lexus has excellent service departments, but I'm still a bit nervous to have someone hack on my new and somewhat expensive car.

Thanks in advance!
hello and welcome!

$800 is pretty steep! it's pretty straightforward so i don't think you'll have any issues. my friend dropped 1 or 2 bolts in there and didnt have any rattling issues, so i think it shoudl be fine.

i would just look to see if they scratched up any of the painted silver areas around the center area. and hopefully they secure it well so it doesn't move around. also double check that the emulation mode is correct otherwise it won't work as it should. other than that, have fun w/ it!!

p.s. is $800 for the parts and labor or just labor?
Old 10-03-07, 10:43 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeRX

Thanks in advance!
DONT DO IT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the unit itself is only around 250 or so, plus maybe at most one hour of labor to remove the head unit hook it up and put the dash together. i had my unit installed at bestbuy, they had never installed a vaistech unit before, but they even managed to install it, run the cables to the glove compartment and programmed it and all for 50 bucks flat. Dont let the dealers rip you off. Fck the dealers.
Old 10-04-07, 03:29 AM
JoeRX
Driver School Candidate

$800 includes parts and labor.

How do you make sure that the emulation mode is correct?

Thanks for the info & advice!
Old 10-04-07, 03:33 AM
JoeRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AM1
DONT DO IT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the unit itself is only around 250 or so, plus maybe at most one hour of labor to remove the head unit hook it up and put the dash together. i had my unit installed at bestbuy, they had never installed a vaistech unit before, but they even managed to install it, run the cables to the glove compartment and programmed it and all for 50 bucks flat. Dont let the dealers rip you off. Fck the dealers.
I agree it seems like a rip, but I don't want to run into an issue with the nav system in 18 months and then have them tell me that I'm out of warranty because I installed aftermarket components that damaged the unit. This stuff can break, and it costs thousands to replace, and I want to make sure that they don't have an excuse for not covering it.

So, in a way, I'm paying the extra money as an insurance policy of sorts.

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI installation instructions w/ pics for 04-07 RX