RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bad Reception of the Remote

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 01:52 AM
meowkub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Reception of the Remote

Hi all,

I just got my RX350, but I seem to have a problem with my remote keyless entry. Many times, I couldn't lock/unlock the doors by pressing the remote just once, even I got really close to the car. Does anyone has this problem? How far can you operate lock/unlock from your car? Or anyone has any trick on get better reception on the remote key? Your answer is much appreciated.

One more question what is the tire presure you all running?
Old 07-20-06, 02:30 AM
MJMeucci
Driver

I noticed the poor remote reception as well, especially compared to my GX....
Old 07-20-06, 05:25 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Recommended tire pressures are located on a sticker inside the drivers door jam.
Old 07-20-06, 06:09 AM
barry_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by meowkub
Hi all,

I just got my RX350, but I seem to have a problem with my remote keyless entry. Many times, I couldn't lock/unlock the doors by pressing the remote just once, even I got really close to the car. Does anyone has this problem? How far can you operate lock/unlock from your car? Or anyone has any trick on get better reception on the remote key? Your answer is much appreciated.

Mine works well from over 50 yards away.
Old 07-20-06, 07:03 AM
tfischer

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

When my remotes start to get weak, I carefully open them up and replace the battery.

They are standard batteries available for a few bucks at Radio Shack.

Expect a life of about 18 to 24 months out of them, depending on how much you use them. I replace them every year or so anyway, just to be sure they are strong.

This should not happen in a new car, but it's certainly possible that an old or a weak battery was used.

The key opens with a small screwdriver, and although they look the same from outside, different years and models can have a different setup inside. (My '02 and '04 Lexus cars have different insides and use different batteries, although they look identical on the outside.)

Only use the right screwdriver, and be careful inside, as you do not want to harm the electronic module. I've done it several times, and it's not hard at all, and may be all that you need to fix your reception problem.
Old 07-20-06, 08:24 AM
srashid
Driver

Originally Posted by meowkub
Hi all,

As it's a new car I would just take it to the dealer and get them to fix it, rather than messing around trying to change the batteries yourself. It should work from 50 yards away like someone else said. Also I have kept my last 2-3 cars for beteween 1 and 4 years and never had to change a remote battery for any of them.
Old 07-20-06, 09:01 AM
tfischer

I agree that the dealer should fix it, since it's a new car.

However, often a trip to the dealer is a time-consuming process. If just changing a $2.00 battery will fix the problem, that may be preferable, especially as this is probably the first thing the dealer will do.

As for battery life, I have had Lexus cars for over 15 years, and these batteries do have a very, very long life, but I have noticed that after a few years, the effective distance seems to start to decrease. A new battery at that point gives me added range, and is quick and cheap. Also, I have added the keyhole plugs to both my cars (www.bumperplugs.com) just for an elegant touch (see pic below), so if my battery fails, it will be a bit of an inconvenience to pop out the plug to access the keyhole.

My guess is that if your battery has not been replaced in 2 or 3 years, you will notice some extra range if you replace it now.
Attached Thumbnails Bad Reception of the Remote-rx-doorplug.jpg  
Old 07-24-06, 09:39 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

here is an old car stereo trick

hold the key to your cheek and try the button again

your head becomes a big antenna and will increase the range

we also use this when the battery is dying and you need to get in
Old 07-25-06, 05:43 AM
barry_s
Driver School Candidate

Default Keyhole plugs

Originally Posted by tfischer
I agree that the dealer should fix it, since it's a new car.

However, often a trip to the dealer is a time-consuming process. If just changing a $2.00 battery will fix the problem, that may be preferable, especially as this is probably the first thing the dealer will do.

As for battery life, I have had Lexus cars for over 15 years, and these batteries do have a very, very long life, but I have noticed that after a few years, the effective distance seems to start to decrease. A new battery at that point gives me added range, and is quick and cheap. Also, I have added the keyhole plugs to both my cars (www.bumperplugs.com) just for an elegant touch (see pic below), so if my battery fails, it will be a bit of an inconvenience to pop out the plug to access the keyhole.

My guess is that if your battery has not been replaced in 2 or 3 years, you will notice some extra range if you replace it now.
I like the look of those keyhole plugs. Does the Porsche plug fit without alteration? How about color?
Old 07-25-06, 06:36 AM
tfischer

They require some alteration, because the Porsche key is a little wider than the Lexus key.

The "Plug" is a flat disc with about 8 coats of paint (that look great) and a prong that fits into the keyhole itself. You will have to trim off a bit of the edges of the prong to allow it to go into the Lexus keyhole. For this, you can sand it down or use a sharp razor knife and just slice off a little bit of the edges. This is what the web page means when it says the plugs will fit other cars "with some alteration." It's no big deal and very easy to do, just be careful because if you take off too much, you can't go back. Take off a little at a time, and try it in the keyhole until it fits. The whole thing took me about five minutes.

As for colors, first get your color name and code for your car. Check the color chart on their web page. Many Lexus colors are there, and others are there in the Toyota section. My RX is "Savanah," which is R4R, which shows up in the Toyota section as "Mirage Metalic (R4R)" My other Lexus is black, so that is no problem. If you have a question, email Eric at the company and he will get right back to you with an answer. He was very helpful (I did not find the Lexus color in the Toyota section on my own.)

An elegant touch, though subtle, but highly recommended.

Here's a shot of the black plug in the SC door.
Attached Thumbnails Bad Reception of the Remote-scdoor-posted.jpg