RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

ViasTech SLX Unit In RX-350 - Fails after "AM" then "SAT1" voice command?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 11:37 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ViasTech SLX Unit In RX-350 - Fails after "AM" then "SAT1" voice command?

I have a 2007 RX-350 in which I just completed the installation of a ViasTech SLX unit . My wife and I make fairly extensive use of the voice commands for the Navigation/Radio system and discovered what appears to be a bug in the SLX unit. I would appreciate it if fellow SLX / RX-350 owners could confirm this problem.

First, verify all radio modes work through push button, ending with FM radio. Then press AM/SAT to toggle to SAT1. After it loads and starts playing, use voice command and say "AM" and the system should confirm the command and change to AM radio. After it does, say "SAT1" and wait. In my case, the navigation system repeats the command "Satellite Radio 1" but never actually switches to SAT1. Further, any attempts after this to get to SAT1, either by voice command or by push button fail. SAT1/2/3 are all locked out and can't be accessed until the system is restarted by cycling power (the car has to be turned off, not just the radio).

This problem does NOT occur on my wife's ES-330 (also equipped with an SLX unit) and appears to be limited only to the RX-350.

Can anyone else confirm this bug?

Thanks!

SonarTech

Last edited by Sonartech; 07-23-06 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-25-06, 04:41 AM
barry_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sonartech
I have a 2007 RX-350 in which I just completed the installation of a ViasTech SLX unit . My wife and I make fairly extensive use of the voice commands for the Navigation/Radio system and discovered what appears to be a bug in the SLX unit. I would appreciate it if fellow SLX / RX-350 owners could confirm this problem.

First, verify all radio modes work through push button, ending with FM radio. Then press AM/SAT to toggle to SAT1. After it loads and starts playing, use voice command and say "AM" and the system should confirm the command and change to AM radio. After it does, say "SAT1" and wait. In my case, the navigation system repeats the command "Satellite Radio 1" but never actually switches to SAT1. Further, any attempts after this to get to SAT1, either by voice command or by push button fail. SAT1/2/3 are all locked out and can't be accessed until the system is restarted by cycling power (the car has to be turned off, not just the radio).

This problem does NOT occur on my wife's ES-330 (also equipped with an SLX unit) and appears to be limited only to the RX-350.

Can anyone else confirm this bug?

Thanks!

SonarTech
I just tried it and can confirm that it (mis) behaves exactly as you have described. I had never tried voice input for audio before. You should contact Vaistech or post it on their discussion board.
Old 09-26-06, 12:49 AM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by barry_s
I just tried it and can confirm that it (mis) behaves exactly as you have described. I had never tried voice input for audio before. You should contact Vaistech or post it on their discussion board.
Thanks for the confirmation. Eugene at ViasTech is "semi-responsive" to these problems, but it's taking them months to figure them out and make the updates available. I'm also not too keen on removing my buggy unit and sending it back to him everytime one of these stupid little glitches shows up. I've done it twice now; it's getting old. I'll be much happier when/if VaisTech actually does release this firmware update cable they've now been saying they'd have done two months ago... Good thing I'm not holding my breath. FWIW, Eugene said they do have a fix for this problem... if you want to take your unit out and send it to him.

SonarTech

ps: Barring these glitches, I do very much like the ViasTech SLX unit - it work very well most of the time.