RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Freebies ? What did the dealer give you ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 04:44 PM
free_the_p
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freebies ? What did the dealer give you ?

I am going to pick up my RX 350 tomorrow and there is still time for me to get something out of the dealer for my truck. What should I ask for ? What 'freebies' did you get ?
I am planning to ask for all weather mats + mudguards.
Old 07-28-06, 05:08 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Huh? Where did this idea of asking the dealer for freebies come from?
Old 07-28-06, 05:51 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's part of the negotiation process! If they won't come down to the number you want, then make them give you a little extra to make it worth coming up to their number!

Over the years, I've gotten (not all at the same time):
- Floor mats
- Cargo mat
- Wheel locks
- 1/16 scale model of an RX300
- case of oil filters
- electronic dimming compass mirror (that was with a Honda)
Old 07-28-06, 06:01 PM
free_the_p
Driver School Candidate

Default yes, that's what I meant

My BMW dealer gave me a free sunroof wind deflector, BMW mats front and back and a full tank of gas. So I am planning on asking this guy the same. He actually said there are a lot of goodies for the person buying the car, but not for the car itself. let's see
Old 07-28-06, 09:08 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

I think that's just tacky. If you want something you buy it.
Old 07-28-06, 09:30 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Six hats, six travel mugs, four key chains, a full tank of gas, and a car wash anytime they are open and doing them. They also have Lexus bottled water at the showroom. At Stevens Creek they have a much better assortment of beverages.
Old 07-29-06, 01:48 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
I think that's just tacky. If you want something you buy it.

Wasn't it the dealerships that started it? I remember decades ago when going with my parents to buy cars dealerships used to always throw in free accessories to try and close the deal. Floor mats and mud gaurds used to always be a freebie. Then they would up the ante to a free cassette or CD player upgrade, even a trunk spoiler. Those were the good old days when you could actually buy a car and get what you wanted rather than packages of uselss things bundled together just because you wanted one item.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 07-29-06 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-29-06, 07:00 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

The accessories barely cost the dealer anything, and if they make you happy about buying the car at their price, why wouldn't they do it?
Example: The last Toyota I bought didn't have the mats or wheel locks put on at the port. (Those are port installed options, or PIO's, even on Lexus. 99% of Lexus cars come with them, but it's hit or miss on Toyotas.) The dealer and I were $300 apart, so I said I'd come up to his number if he added the mats and locks. Deal!! The mats and locks had an MSRP of about $220 together, so that made me feel like I got my $300 worth, but they cost the dealer less than $100 I'm sure, so that was even better for them than "I'll split the difference and give you $150 more." And I got the floor mats, which I think it's just wrong not to have them on every car. The wheel locks are nice to have as well.
I would agree that it's lame to ask for stuff after the deal is done. And I also don't ask for extras if the dealer is willing to meet my number. But if they don't want to budge (which is most of the time), then I think it's an effective bargaining tool to get those last one or two little details that will ensure you're happy with the car. In the example above, I paid $300 more than I planned to, but at least I didn't have to go home and get on the Internet to order that stuff on top of it. The dealer did right by me, and I walked out with a positive sales experience that I'll tell other people about.
Old 07-29-06, 09:47 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

I would agree that it's lame to ask for stuff after the deal is done. And I also don't ask for extras if the dealer is willing to meet my number.
That's the tacky part I was referring to in the OP.
Old 07-29-06, 10:47 AM
jamesfabin
Driver

Default Gift from Dealer

I never ask for anything free, though I've always had a dealer present me with something each time I purchase a car. I purchased my 2007 RX350 AWD just 30 days ago and the dealer (Westminster Lexus) gave me a great price right up front. I accepted the offer and had the paperwork drawn up. While I was waiting I read a book in the Lexus dealership about the history of Lexus - outstanding book that everyone who is interested in cars should read. I asked my salesperson if I could purchase a copy of the book, but she said they were not for sale but she would check if one could be ordered. A few minutes later she returned with a brand-new copy of the book as a gift. In addition she included the clear floor matts in my new vehicle. Outside of the side-steps, I ordered every option on the list, so there wasn't much room for additional items. I was extremely pleased with the price I got as well as the entire purchasing process.

Other cars I purchased have included scale models sent to my home after purchase (each BMW I've purchased came with one of those), free service (2-3 years work on non-BMW vehicles I've purchased), and a free vacation trip. I purchase towards the higher end, always get each vehicle fully loaded, so there isn't room for free dealer-options (I've probably already purchased them all). Of all the cars my wife & I've owned - Hyundai, Honda, Ford (I know, but I was young), Scion, Toyota, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus - only 1 dealer has not provided me at least some type of gift, and that was Infiniti.

But I would recommend not "asking", at least not at a Luxury dealership. Order all the options you want and ask for a fair price. I've found that always works and insure I have everything I want in the vehicle.

James