RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

3-blink lane change signal ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 10:06 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
Just don't use your turn signal. That way, you eliminate the problem of stupid drivers speeding up so you don't pass in front of them
LOL. Thateez how we do it in Takes-sez.
Old 07-08-08, 08:05 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydjce
This feature brings laziness to a new level.
Laziness is the motivation for technical progress. If we weren't lazy we would all be still walking everywhere and hauling stuff on our backs!
Old 07-09-08, 06:17 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crosborne
Its standard in GA and FL. Leave a car length in front of you and people cut right in.
Same in Illinois. It's kind of funny to watch how people will speed up to change lanes but never wait to drop in behind you.

The new one I'm seeing is people getting rear ended because the car behind them sped up to try and make it through a yellow light. If the car in front of them stops, they get rear ended.

I'd like to know what everyone is in a hurry to get to.
Old 07-09-08, 06:49 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Laziness is the motivation for technical progress. If we weren't lazy we would all be still walking everywhere and hauling stuff on our backs!
There is a difference between laziness and eficiency however I will rephrase then:

"This feature brings laziness and stupidity to a new level"

Drivers are actually required to pay attention to what is going on around them and if they can't do that, they shouldn't be driving. This is similar to the self-park feature Lexus has installed for those morons that can't reverse park. The dumbing down of everything only increases the level of idiots on the road.

Driving is a privilege not a right.
Old 07-09-08, 07:07 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

Does this mean that rain-sending windshield wipers are out???
Besides, lazy and stupid are two different things, and I pride myself on not being both.
Old 07-09-08, 03:32 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

This feature brings laziness to a new level.
Once you experience it you will miss it. I drove our German car today and it has the 3 blink. You can drive it with one hand, signal with the pinky and cut into the next lane. to bad its sedan, I like being high up
Old 07-09-08, 03:48 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I currently have a rental Dodge Magnum and it has this feature. It's useless since it takes more than 3 blinks to change lanes. Just blinking 3 times makes you look like an ***.
Old 07-09-08, 05:04 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I find that in Michigan traffic, three blinks would be enough for a lane change even on what we would consider congested highways.
Old 07-10-08, 04:02 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by integra144
Once you experience it you will miss it. I drove our German car today and it has the 3 blink. You can drive it with one hand, signal with the pinky and cut into the next lane. to bad its sedan, I like being high up
I have experienced too many people with this feature on their cars who use it, then eventually decide to change lanes. This is pure laziness. How hard is to move an indicator stalk? It helps lazy (and dumb) drivers to forget their obligations to other road users. Just because some fools from Germany create this functionality doesn't mean it should be used - just look at I-Drive!

Same with Rain Sensing Wipers. I like these myself but I had an experience with a driver (one of your countrymen actually) who was trying to drive in pouring rain and was actually waiting for the wipers to change speed to match the weather! He was either too lazy or he didn't know how to control the speed manually.

Convenience is one thing. Lowering the bar to suit the lowest common denominator is another. No offence intended to our American members but your cars are a clear example of things being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator! The last car I drove in the US had more warning buzzers, alarms and lights to clearly warn morons that they were getting behind the wheel. Compared to English, Eurpoean and Australian vehicles, I have never seen so many alarms. If I ever moved to the States and purchased a car, I would spend the first couple of hours disconnecting these annoying things and reducing the unneeded alarms/buzzers etc to a "normal" level.

If cars need to be built to cater for people with the level of intelligence that requires this level of reminder/convenience, they shouldn't be on the road. IQ tests should be mandatory
Old 07-10-08, 05:57 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

I'd like to respond to "Dave's" comments above, but I don't understand all the big words he uses. Basically, however, I don't things here (USA) are being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, because math has noting to do with it.
Old 07-10-08, 07:16 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have experienced too many people with this feature on their cars who use it, then eventually decide to change lanes. This is pure laziness. How hard is to move an indicator stalk? It helps lazy (and dumb) drivers to forget their obligations to other road users. Just because some fools from Germany create this functionality doesn't mean it should be used - just look at I-Drive!

Same with Rain Sensing Wipers. I like these myself but I had an experience with a driver (one of your countrymen actually) who was trying to drive in pouring rain and was actually waiting for the wipers to change speed to match the weather! He was either too lazy or he didn't know how to control the speed manually.

Convenience is one thing. Lowering the bar to suit the lowest common denominator is another. No offence intended to our American members but your cars are a clear example of things being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator! The last car I drove in the US had more warning buzzers, alarms and lights to clearly warn morons that they were getting behind the wheel. Compared to English, Eurpoean and Australian vehicles, I have never seen so many alarms. If I ever moved to the States and purchased a car, I would spend the first couple of hours disconnecting these annoying things and reducing the unneeded alarms/buzzers etc to a "normal" level.

If cars need to be built to cater for people with the level of intelligence that requires this level of reminder/convenience, they shouldn't be on the road. IQ tests should be mandatory
You can thank our lawyers for the warnings and buzzers
Old 07-10-08, 07:25 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
. . . hence the coming "Thelma and Louise" warning light that illuminates if you drive off a cliff . . .

Old 07-10-08, 01:42 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX_330
Remember that line from Shakespeare.

I hope that this trend doesn't extend outside the US. I don't know how you put up with it!
Old 07-11-08, 01:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
Just don't use your turn signal. That way, you eliminate the problem of stupid drivers speeding up so you don't pass in front of them
I'm the opposite. For some reason I have a knack of knowing when someone is about ready to make a lane change. It doesn't work all the time, but I have impressed passengers by telling them when the car is about to change lanes before their turn signal even comes on. Anyway, if I see someone turn his signal on, I let them in. If I think that person wants to change lanes but doesn't use his signal, I speed up and don't let them in. I have had so many cars that do that end up attempting to make the lane change only to realize that my car is already there because I predicted they would change lanes and they didn't use their signal. I personally hate it when people don't use their turn signal. That irks me 2nd in line to people who go slow in the left lane.
Old 07-11-08, 06:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by crosborne
Its standard in GA and FL. Leave a car length in front of you and people cut right in. Everyone thinks its NASCAR our here. NASCAR is, of course, "The national sport of the South!"
This is so true in Florida. People even go way faster than me on the Interstate. I remember when I lived in Florida maybe 20 years ago, the police were everywhere with a radar gun, now I hardly see them (though I know they exist).

Quick Reply: 3-blink lane change signal ?