RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

3-blink lane change signal ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 08:24 PM
free_the_p
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-blink lane change signal ?

Is there a option (LPS?) to set the lane change signal to shutoff after 3 blinks ? in BMWs' (and MBs) if you lighlt tap the turn signal, it will blink 3 times (3 secs), enough for a lane change. if you press it harder, it will be a permanent turn signal. Does RX 350 have this feature ?
Also, in the BMW, you can turn off the signal by pushing the lever in the same direction, i.e, if you have pressed down for a left turn, you can press down again to turn it off. Pretty nifty feature.
Old 08-07-06, 06:42 AM
tfischer

Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

It sounds like somebody wants a BMW.

1. There is no 3-blink option available; as is the standard in the industry, as long as you hold down the signal lever lightly without passing the detent, the signal light will flash. You can let it blink for five times if you want.

2. Nifty? If I turn on the signal by pressing down on the lever, my inclination is to turn it off by pulling up on the lever. Every (other) car in the world works this way. That's not nifty, it's counterintuitive.

The BMW is hardly the standard for technical innovation. The i-Drive fiasco is still costing them large market share as buyers refuse to learn a convuluted and confusing all-new and all-complex all-the-time nightmare of unnecessary electronic complexity.
Old 08-07-06, 10:22 AM
srashid
Driver

Originally Posted by free_the_p
Is there a option (LPS?) to set the lane change signal to shutoff after 3 blinks ? in BMWs' (and MBs) if you lighlt tap the turn signal, it will blink 3 times (3 secs), enough for a lane change. if you press it harder, it will be a permanent turn signal. Does RX 350 have this feature ?
Also, in the BMW, you can turn off the signal by pushing the lever in the same direction, i.e, if you have pressed down for a left turn, you can press down again to turn it off. Pretty nifty feature.
Although it's not available on the RX I agree the '3-blink' feature is a nice one to have. However it's not a big annoyance for me; you quickly get used to just holding the stalk for a couple of seconds.
Old 08-07-06, 10:41 AM
tfischer

The rookie observes: "However it's not a big annoyance for me; you quickly get used to just holding the stalk for a couple of seconds."

I could not agree more.

I got used to doing this 30 years ago, and have been doing it in dozens of cars since. I'm too old and tired and stupid to learn a new trick now, especially one with no real payoff.
Old 08-07-06, 11:07 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Just don't use your turn signal. That way, you eliminate the problem of stupid drivers speeding up so you don't pass in front of them
Old 08-07-06, 11:28 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old 2005 Dodge Magnum RT (MB influence) had the 3 blink turn signal feature and while it was nice to have, it takes longer than 3 blinks to properly change a lane. 5 blinks would be more appropriate.
Old 08-07-06, 12:03 PM
srashid
Driver

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
Just don't use your turn signal. That way, you eliminate the problem of stupid drivers speeding up so you don't pass in front of them
Yeah I can't believe it when they do that, it's like you insulted them by wanting to change lanes. Luckily it's a rare thing here in Washington, but I noticed it more driving in CA.
Old 08-07-06, 12:06 PM
DakotaRX
Driver

Sounds like a "Nice to have" feature, but I would agree, should really be at least 5 blinks. Of course half the people out there have the "No Blink" feature on their car, or the 5 blocks feature.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud "Thundercloud Mist", Black Birdseye Maple trim, NAV & ML, Tow Package (with hitch), 18" Thundercloud Wheels.
1998 GS300 (Previous) Miss It
Old 08-07-06, 12:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

last generation mercedes S500 also has this feature
i found it very convenient
lexus does have something similar but more like 1 second only so ull have to keep ur finger there a while longer
Old 08-07-06, 02:56 PM
crosborne
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srashid
Yeah I can't believe it when they do that, it's like you insulted them by wanting to change lanes. Luckily it's a rare thing here in Washington, but I noticed it more driving in CA.
Its standard in GA and FL. Leave a car length in front of you and people cut right in. Everyone thinks its NASCAR our here. NASCAR is, of course, "The national sport of the South!"
Old 07-02-08, 05:27 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mercedes has it too!!! I like the feature, but it also finishes blinking before you change lanes.
Old 07-02-08, 08:59 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Beef Jerky

Originally Posted by BobsGX
...nice to have, it takes longer than 3 blinks to properly change a lane. 5 blinks would be more appropriate.
BMW brobably just figures their owners are usually jerky and don't use the turn signals anyway, so having it set to 3 is just for those that flash for technicality reasons, or if a cop is behind them and they have to turn.

Ah, nice to have, but never had problem setting and unsetting.
Old 07-04-08, 10:14 AM
javanutsy
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfischer
The BMW is hardly the standard for technical innovation. The i-Drive fiasco is still costing them large market share as buyers refuse to learn a convuluted and confusing all-new and all-complex all-the-time nightmare of unnecessary electronic complexity.
Can you back up the statement that BMW is losing large market share just because of i-Drive?

Yes, the i-Drive received a lot of bad press, but like it or not, we are already seeing other manufacturers following suit with similar or derivatives of it in their cars... The i-Drive was not well received in the 7 series because it was arguably ahead of its time.
Old 07-04-08, 01:06 PM
tfischer

It was not ahead of its time, it was just too convoluted to use, requiring many steps to accomplish a single task, something previously done with much more simple and intuitive buttons and switches. It is still in some of the BMW cars, but has been simplified and some buttons have been added for quick and easy direct settings of some functions. It's still not very much liked.

In contrast, many Lexus interiors have been praised for their intuitive, clear and logical layout (especially the SC400).

I have never used an i-Drive myself, so I might be wrong.
Old 07-04-08, 07:31 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This feature brings laziness to a new level.

Quick Reply: 3-blink lane change signal ?