RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx330 18" eagles mix well with snow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 10:21 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Rx330 18" eagles mix well with snow?

Hey guys, first post! whoohoo

ive actually been a member of lexusownersclub for a while, but nobody has answered me on this question so i thought id try here.

I know its a little early to think about snow, but im thinking about goin' up to Reno or tahoe this winter with the kids. The last car i drove up there was my rx300, so its been a while. I was just wondering how the eagles work in snow, cause i know they are performance tires. I do have AWD and i do feel safe with VSC and TRAC and what not but i just want to make sure. If worst comes to worst, ill have to rent those wretched chains

on an unrelated topic, ive noticed these tires squeal a lot when making turns. Maybe im just turning too quickly? but i feel unsafe when i hear that. Sounds like the cars going to tip over or something. Dont know, just wanted to throw it out there. Kinda makes me feel there that there isnt enough rubber on the road.

thanks for your replies
Old 08-17-06, 03:12 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engineered with a directional tread design and race-bred dual Aquachannels, Eagle F1 GS gives serious wet traction for today's performance-minded individual. Dual Aquachannels mean unparalleled stability and traction under wet conditions, as well as reduced hydroplaning. Goodyear's exclusive AATRAX tread compound offers outstanding treadwear without sacrificing traction or noise reduction, however like all summer tires, Eagle F1 GS tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. Its smooth, quiet ride is the result of its unique pitch sequence, while spirally wound nylon overlays give Eagle F1 GS a smooth, disturbance-free operation, even at high speeds. An angled ply construction and multi-radius profile offer precise steering and uniform wear. It's ultra-high performance at Goodyear's best.
Old 08-17-06, 03:31 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I would recommend you think about purchasing a tire and wheel package from someone like TireRack for use in winter using a tire more suited to your winter needs and skip the chains. When needed, you can just swap out the Eagles for the winter tire. TireRack will also mount and balance the tires for you if you buy as a package before they are shipped.
Old 08-17-06, 04:28 PM
RXSF

are you freaken kidding me? lol im just going through some slight snowage...not off roading. I really dont want to purchase tires im not going to use again. after posting this, i did a little search about people saying that the RX does wonderfully in snow conditions...are you telling me those people dont have the upgrade performance package? sigh
Old 08-18-06, 12:20 PM
DakotaRX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real question is what Goodyear Eagle are u talking about? The F1 GS as mentioned above is not an all weather tire, it is a (high or ultra) performance tire and is not rated as an all weather tire. There are other Eagles out there that are not quite as performance minded and are all weather rated. I have the 18 in Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4's and went thru a North Dakota winter with no problems with traction on either snow or ice. But I'm not talking trying to buck my way thru two foot or more drifts of snow or drive at unsafe speeds on ice. The MXV4 is an all weather tire in the sense of an all around passenger tire. Quite, smooth riding and reasonalbe traction in 2,3, or 4 inches of snow (at moderate speeds) and compacted snow and or ice at a "safe" and reasonable speed. Also are you talking the FWD or the AWD version of the RX. It also makes a difference in going thru snow or driving on ice if you have the AWD. Stopping isn't any better with the AWD verses the FWD. When the weather dictates heavy snow, blizzard or such then I drive my 4 wheel drive pick-up with Wrangler RS/As. It will go thru a lot more snow but actually is not any better, in fact maybe a little worse on compacted snow and ice than the RX due to Traction Control and stability control not on the pick-up. Also lug type tires don't grip ice as well. My previous Lexus was a 1998 GS300 in which I put Bridgestone Blizzaks on it during the winter. Even being a two wheel drive (rear) it did great on snow and ice up to about 4 inches or so. So the whole thing is look for all weather markings or M & S on the tire if you want something with snow/winter traction, otherwise you'll want a performance set and a winter set.
Old 08-18-06, 05:59 PM
RXSF

yes i have AWD. I have no idea what eagles i have...its the stock ones that came with the car. All i know is that they are goodyear 18" eagles. lol