RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2009 Lexus Rx with v8!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-06, 08:27 AM
oowalawala
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2009 Lexus Rx with v8!

Maybe

From edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116536

I guess more work for krpster and 700t.

Last edited by oowalawala; 08-18-06 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-18-06, 09:07 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW.. 2009 RX have an extra 3rd row seat (room for seven), which is a plus. The new RX graphic seems like the height is smaller than current RX.
Old 08-18-06, 09:20 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

Some buyers want that 3rd row seat for the kids, but Lexus has refused to do that because many buyers (like me) do not want such a big SUV (it's only 8" longer than my SC430, and 11" shorter than an Accord) because they do not have all the kids at home. Seating for 4 adults is all that I need. And since this is the best selling Lexus model, by far, (something over 40% of all Lexus cars sold are RX) they don't want to mess with something that works and sells so well.

So this "long wheelbase" version serves everybody well. You can get the stretch version and 3rd row of seats if you want (at some extra cost), but those who don't need the biger car can still get the standard version.

I can't imagine how much fun this car would be with the V-8 -- that's one of the things that makes the SC so much fun to drive. I find the 330 to have just about enough power, and I hear that the 350 is even better. A 430 or 460 V-8 would be way over the top.

Can't wait.
Old 08-18-06, 01:21 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Cool!! 3rd row seat!
Old 08-18-06, 01:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like they described the HPX/LF-X Concept to me.

But you never know. Its a possibility that it could get a 3rd row, but I'm personally doubting it.
Old 08-18-06, 01:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That power and that V8 make me very happy...it is about time they added true performance to the equation.

Still will keep my RX300 and keep turning up the power.

Last edited by Lexmex; 08-18-06 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-18-06, 02:58 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GFerg
Sounds like they described the HPX/LF-X Concept to me.
But the body style is different. When I look at the LF-X Concept, I see nothing more than an Infinity FX with the Lexus badge. The drawing is much more consistent with the RX styling and I like it much better.
Old 08-18-06, 03:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
But the body style is different. When I look at the LF-X Concept, I see nothing more than an Infinity FX with the Lexus badge. The drawing is much more consistent with the RX styling and I like it much better.
But this is what Edmunds thinks it will look like. They havent seen a real picture either.

What I am getting at is that they could possibly be confusing there information with the information that we already know about the upcoming production model LF-X. Three row seating, V8 option, low to the ground. Those 3 features were key to the LF-X concept.
Old 08-18-06, 03:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

In one of my copies of HyperRev...I think surprisingly the older issue from a while back, they had similar looking design.

One good thing that will also probably come out of this is better aftermarket support, just like some of the higher-powered SUV competitors.

It still drives me nuts that for all the RX300s on the road, not too much in the way of modification for performance...sigh
Old 08-18-06, 07:22 PM
tfischer

"But this is what Edmunds thinks it will look like. They havent seen a real picture either."

Oh, come on! These "spy photos" and concept articles are based on information given to the publications by the manufacturers. This has "reliable source" written all over it.
Old 08-21-06, 10:26 PM
yohko5987
Driver School Candidate

It looks sexy to me! Third row seats too, that's always a plus except for when everyone always wants to take your car instead of their own lol.
Old 08-22-06, 04:44 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't help but wonder about the real utility of that third row of seats. OK for kids, but only those somewhere between the ages where they need car seats and early teens when they actually grow legs. Access to these seats is actually fun for a seven to ten-year-old, but soon they will tire of being consigned to steerage class.

If it's a marketing move, it seems rather strange to cut into one of the advantages of the GX with this pygmy seat . . . unless . . . there might be something larger afoot. The GX and LX are currently nothing more than a series of luxury option packages on excellent Toyota products - nothing wrong with that, but as Lexus grows it can afford a bit more exclusivity. The GX/LX are basically "badge engineered" from the 4Runner and LandCruiser - rather old-school body-on-frame trucks. It's been a puzzle why the LX has not adopted the much more modern Sequoia platform – and the GX left with a toehold in a tiny niche market.

Pure speculation here, but what if the LX were developed from the Sequoia? You get a larger interior space, more modern platform, and a serious head-turner. Where would the GX find a market? Surely, having proven its market, the RX (being the largest seller) wouldn’t make the leap to a 7-passenger ride without some SERIOUS clamor from the dealers who see losing sales to competing brands as a problem. That problem – at least based on sales figures - doesn’t exist at this point. Lexus is selling every RX it can paint. So the GX finds itself bookended by the RX on one side and the LX on the other – without much room to develop an exclusive market in between. Might there be a niche for a GX as a larger RX, rather than a “smaller” LX - a unibody crossover - sort of an RX for families, an alternative to a mommy van based on a GS or LS, rather than the Camry/ES?

That would leave Lexus with a clearly differentiated product line: a “sporty” SUV – the RX (with V6, hybrid, or a possible V8 option and appropriate braking, handling features), a larger GX, now with more interior room for larger families, and the LX, the plus-size hauler with interior room and genuine brush-busting capability. Hmmmmm . . . . Lexus, if you're listening, I want a commission on this . . .
Old 08-22-06, 05:42 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What happened to all the rumors about the JX470 coming out soon as a "badge-engineered" Sequoia? Since the LF-X hit the auto shows, every new Toyota or Lexus SUV will supposedly look like that!

Edmunds is usually good about future vehicles, but not gospel. They predicted a redesign of the Highlander for 2007 - didn't happen.
Old 08-22-06, 11:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Can't help but wonder about the real utility of that third row of seats. OK for kids, but only those somewhere between the ages where they need car seats and early teens when they actually grow legs. Access to these seats is actually fun for a seven to ten-year-old, but soon they will tire of being consigned to steerage class.

If it's a marketing move, it seems rather strange to cut into one of the advantages of the GX with this pygmy seat . . . unless . . . there might be something larger afoot. The GX and LX are currently nothing more than a series of luxury option packages on excellent Toyota products - nothing wrong with that, but as Lexus grows it can afford a bit more exclusivity. The GX/LX are basically "badge engineered" from the 4Runner and LandCruiser - rather old-school body-on-frame trucks. It's been a puzzle why the LX has not adopted the much more modern Sequoia platform – and the GX left with a toehold in a tiny niche market.

Pure speculation here, but what if the LX were developed from the Sequoia? You get a larger interior space, more modern platform, and a serious head-turner. Where would the GX find a market? Surely, having proven its market, the RX (being the largest seller) wouldn’t make the leap to a 7-passenger ride without some SERIOUS clamor from the dealers who see losing sales to competing brands as a problem. That problem – at least based on sales figures - doesn’t exist at this point. Lexus is selling every RX it can paint. So the GX finds itself bookended by the RX on one side and the LX on the other – without much room to develop an exclusive market in between. Might there be a niche for a GX as a larger RX, rather than a “smaller” LX - a unibody crossover - sort of an RX for families, an alternative to a mommy van based on a GS or LS, rather than the Camry/ES?

That would leave Lexus with a clearly differentiated product line: a “sporty” SUV – the RX (with V6, hybrid, or a possible V8 option and appropriate braking, handling features), a larger GX, now with more interior room for larger families, and the LX, the plus-size hauler with interior room and genuine brush-busting capability. Hmmmmm . . . . Lexus, if you're listening, I want a commission on this . . .
1. I agree 3rd row seat I would not wish on my enemies.
2. Next LX will be Sequia based and be huge ala Escalade and QX56.
3. Which means next GX will grow a lil in size.

I do hope the RX DOES NOT grow, I think the size is great.
Old 08-23-06, 06:27 AM
tfischer

As I read the above gossip, the choice of having the RX grow will be left up to the buyer. The plan is to offer the regular old standard RX and also offer a stretched version with the 3rd row seat, for those who want that. I have no problem with that. I would not want the longer version, but there is some demand for it.

I have no interest in the "h" model either, but there is some demand for that, and they sell. (I have 2 friends/neighbors who have the 330h.

I note that Lexus has announced that the new LX will also come in the regular size as well as an optional "L" or stretched version with more legroom (and reclining seats) in the rear passenger compartment. This is not ususual; BMW (in the 7 series), MB, and Jag, at one point, all offered "L" (long) versions of their top of the line cars with extra room in the back seat.

I guess it's easier to do than you think.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lexus Rx with v8!