RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

LoJack....is it worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 12:13 AM
RX_brain
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool LoJack....is it worth it??

When I bought my RX, I opted out of getting the LoJack. I just think it's pricey for $600. Of course, it's still not too late for me to get one. I just wanna know how you guys feel about "protecting your investment," as my dealer once said.
Old 08-26-06, 06:23 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have automobile theft insurance as part of the comprehensive... It all you need.

The Lo-jack really protects new cars, allowing the dealers insurance rates to decrease while it's on their lot...These vehicles hardly depreciate

The idea is to pass on the cost to the buyer, for a minimal fee ($600), "to protect the investment"... It's a write off on the cost of being a dealer, and is pure profit if you would like to pay it.

When you check with the Lo-jack website, you'll find it cost doesn't end there. There are substantial yearly renewal fees, the dealer fails to mention.

Just another way to squeeze an additional buck from the buyer.. And help the insurance carrier.
Old 08-26-06, 06:40 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX_brain
When I bought my RX, I opted out of getting the LoJack. I just think it's pricey for $600. Of course, it's still not too late for me to get one. I just wanna know how you guys feel about "protecting your investment," as my dealer once said.
Absolutely NOT worth it. I made the fatal mistake of letting the finance guy talk me into it...but fortunately I backed out and they let me (with a fight). Lojack plus undercarriage coating are the mega-profit engines for the dealers and commission generators for the Finance department.

Its one of those things that if it were even $150 you could see it being worth it...but $600 (or more)....no frickin' way......

Not that I have an opinion about it or anything....

--Scott
Old 08-26-06, 07:48 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tammy
When you check with the Lo-jack website, you'll find it cost doesn't end there. There are substantial yearly renewal fees, the dealer fails to mention.
I checked the website and couldn't find any yearly renewal fees. Where and what are they? The only thing I found is the optional inspection of the transmitter every two years arranged through a local Lo-jack office for a nominal fee.
Old 08-26-06, 08:10 AM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by Tammy
You have automobile theft insurance as part of the comprehensive... It all you need.

I agree, why bother it.
Old 08-26-06, 09:05 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Default LoJack Annual Fee??

I had LoJack when I bought my first car like 15, 16 years ago. It was like $600+, but the dealer threw in an auto alarm system. There is no annual membership or any fees at all.

The F&I guys always ask me the LoJack but I didn't buy it for my cars. Again, it was my first time to buy a car. For me, it is totally not neccessary. It is sure to help you (cops) to recover your car faster. I mean, auto insurance is what I need. For the RX, my biggest cocern is the stolen HID problems... and most thefts are interested in your car. I would say "No" to this.
Old 08-26-06, 09:36 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

The Lexus is one of the hardest cars to steal anyway, and so if someone does want it that bad, fine, I have insurance so I can just get a new one, or buy the same model as was stolen on the used car lot (with just about no cash out of pocket -- insurance will pay the current FMV, not the replacement cost for a new car).

RXs are all over the place and are easy to replace.

Why bother?
Old 08-26-06, 05:30 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

I must admit, I fell for it initially. Since this was my first luxury purchase, the young and cute F&I lady talked me into paying for the LoJack. 2 wks passed, they have not installed the LoJack. By this time, I came to my senses and decided to cancel it. I found out that the F&I lady got my cell number wrong and LoJack rep could not confirm an appt to come to my house and install it. She countered to send the LoJack rep immediately that day, but I stood my ground this time and I asked for my money back!! She told me that it's rare for Lexus owners to not have a LoJack, thus I post the question here. Refund check was sent to me within days.
Old 08-26-06, 07:08 PM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

It's rare for anybody to have LoJack.

When you already have the car that is the hardest to steal and to break into, my guess is that it's more rare on a Lexus than on other cars.

But if she's cute, I'd be inclined to believe her. Especially if she's built.
Old 08-26-06, 09:04 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

How large is the typical insurance discount for having a lo-jack? Would it pay for itself if you keep your car long enough?
Old 08-27-06, 06:11 AM
RX_brain
Rookie

It could be ZERO!! My SF agent told me that LoJack is a theft recovery system and considered a level 5 discount by SF, meaning biggest discount. However, in order to get the level 5 discount, I must meet all requirements of level 1-4. At level 3, a hood restraint and back-up battery is required. Of course, I do not have them like most people. So even if I have a LoJack, my discount level is only up to level 2 (most cars get this). Make sure you check with your agent first before you buy a LoJack specially if you're banking on getting a hefty discount.
Old 10-06-06, 01:18 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

You would have to have your RX a really long time for LoJack to pay for itself. I purchased this option for peace of mind and the insurance discount.

There is only a one time fee and no annual costs associated. This could have been the case a while ago, but not anymore.
Old 10-07-06, 10:57 AM
RX_brain
Rookie

Keep in mind that LoJack needs to be checked at the very least every 2 years, and it costs about 60-80 bucks. Also make sure you confirm with your agent that you're getting the LoJack discount. Insurance co's have different sets of rules.
Old 10-07-06, 07:33 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX_brain
Keep in mind that LoJack needs to be checked at the very least every 2 years, and it costs about 60-80 bucks.
Is it an actual requirement in order for LoJack to service you? Why can't you do it yourself using the early warning system? You know, leave the fob at home and get a message from LoJack that it has been triggered?
Old 10-07-06, 11:33 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

Not required but recommended by LoJack. The early warning system is upgraded version of LoJack, if I am not mistaken. Not sure how much extra $$. Even with early warning system, they still recommend that you have the system checked every 2 years. I can only guess why.....more $$$ for LoJack!!

Quick Reply: LoJack....is it worth it??