RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

noise playing wma files

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06 | 06:25 AM
barry_s
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy noise playing wma files

I have been experiencing occasional "static like clicking sounds" when playing windows media music files on my RX350 standard audio system. The same CD's do not exhibit this when played on my computer. I have not tried mp3 files as yet. Any ideas?
Old 08-28-06 | 01:44 PM
tfischer

Yes. My idea would be to try MP3 files.

WMA files are not needed for anything, as far as I know.
Old 12-24-06 | 08:28 AM
LloydW
Driver School Candidate

Default popping noise with WMA or MP3 files

I also have this problem, and hear it with both mp3 at 128 kb/s and wma at 192 kb/s on multiple disks. After finding this post I suspect it is a Lexus problem.

Did you solve this problem or talk to Lexus about it?
Old 12-24-06 | 10:16 AM
barry_s
Driver School Candidate

Interesting (and disappointing) to hear that someone else is experiencing this. I was hoping that I had some bad blanks or something. I have not done any additional experimentation. I did listen to an audio book which I had ripped as mp3 files at 256kps and I don't recall hearing the noise. I probably should try some of my music ripped in the same format. Please keep me posted on your experience.
Old 12-26-06 | 03:51 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

If this sound is appearing on your CD's at the same point (during a loud passage) in the performance or when played on another system, the problem might be that the source is overdriven. Digital audio when driven over the limit, rather than distorting, will produce this loud crackling noise. Although most CD burning software will limit input volume, some will not, or in some the "auto" level setting can be unlocked.
Old 12-26-06 | 04:11 PM
LloydW
Driver School Candidate

I actually just finished some experiments a few minutes ago. I made a new wma compilation. Some songs "pop" more frequently than others, but it does NOT seem to correlate to the volume. The pops occur at the same place each time, but if I play the same disk on my pc I do not hear it. I looked at one particular track on the wma-CD in an audio editing program and there were no spikes in the waveform where the pops are. I then burned that track to another CD in CD-audio format, and it played fine in the car -- no pops -- indicating there was nothing wrong with the wma file (or the pops should have ended up on the CD). I'm pretty mystified. It is an irritating problem because the pops show up rarely or not at all on some tracks, but pretty frequently on others. I'm going to call the Lexus 800 number and see what they have to say. Any further suggestions from the forum would be welcome.
Old 12-28-06 | 12:05 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Problem is with the file, not the player

I had this issue way back when I first started burning cd's. Don't remember exactly what it was but try enabling volume leveling, disable any equilizer settings or sound enhancement profiles your player on the computer may be using. Another thing is try a different software package to burn the cd. Also, convert to wav in a seperate step and then burn the wav files to cd.

Hope one of these ideas helps. I have heard this before but it has been a long time ago.
Old 12-29-06 | 07:13 AM
LloydW
Driver School Candidate

I've heard this problem on both mp3s encoded with CDEX, and WMAs made with Windows Media Player 11. The files sound fine when played on two different pcs. I re-ripped my test song in WMA VBR, burned it on a CD, and it popped in the same places as the original WMA. Creating WAV files would just re-create the original CD-audio disks, which I am trying to avoid. Even at 192 kbs, I can get 9 music CDs on one disk (or 50+ on 6 disks).
Old 12-29-06 | 10:07 AM
hyiu
Driver School Candidate

I have a question: are the popping noise come on a latter track ??
one of the last songs of your CDR ??
If so, it could be burn speed. When burning your CDR, try burning at 8x or 16x instead of "max" (which could be like 46x or 52x or whatever)

the other suggestion I would make is try changing the bit rate... (increase it to 192 or 256 ??)

if you play the CD in the computer, my guess is your computer has a DVD drive which basically reads any kind of disks.... while I don't think the RX head unit can read DVDs... (so the "drive" is different).