RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replace RX License Plate Lightbulb to Look like the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 01:49 PM
lok888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post some pics when you're done. I am picking up mine (RX350) this weekend. Have a nice weekend!!!!
Old 08-31-06, 02:10 PM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Excellent! I'm sure you are looking forward to it.

I'll keep you posted about these bulbs.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-31-06, 07:09 PM
sharpener
Driver

its plug n play, although i cant confirm on the durability period

mine started to blink after few month of usage

also wen buying the turn signal leds, pls make sure which are the ones u need, frontal or side firing LEDs, it makes great difference, as halogen are nearly all round firing
Old 09-01-06, 07:56 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

I got an email back from autolumination.

I am assuming our RX's have a bulb-out warning system...they said if the car has this, a load equalizer should be installed.

I'm not sure what all is entailed to install this...any wire splicing? I asked them for additional information regarding this.
Old 09-01-06, 08:00 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Originally Posted by sharpener
its plug n play, although i cant confirm on the durability period

mine started to blink after few month of usage

also wen buying the turn signal leds, pls make sure which are the ones u need, frontal or side firing LEDs, it makes great difference, as halogen are nearly all round firing
sharpener, I told them I want the bulbs to be as bright as possible. I am taking the assumption that these bulbs will not be as bright as factory LEDs.

Also, I am not really sure why they sell chrome covered bulbs since you really cant see the color of the bulb till its on anyway. You are just limiting the brightness.

Also, after all this, I think I am going with the Amber LEDs. After thinking about it, if the LED bulbs are not the same "Red" hue as the tailights, I would not be happy with the bulbs. I think going with the Amber is a safer bet.
Old 09-01-06, 09:13 AM
sharpener
Driver

chrome colored are for those who wans a clear look wen the signal isnt switch on, but still produce the orange color wen its on

isnt amber the same as the original signal?
Old 09-01-06, 10:48 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

yeah, amber is the same as the factory color.

I dont want to chance getting a Red and then finding out that its a different tone of red...

atleast with the amber / yellow, even if its not the same color as the current factory color, its doesnt matter since it contrasts with the red tailights anyway.
Old 09-01-06, 07:27 PM
sharpener
Driver

but if its the same color, wats the point of changing?
for the LEDs? i change mine to warm white, those of normal halogen colors, very bright, even brighter than amber
Old 09-04-06, 12:13 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Vin - So our RXs have the bulb-out warning system? If yes, it should work regardless the brands such as Philips, Sylvannia, etc, right? Well, I would change the rear turn signals to chrome covered amber bulbs since the brake and tail lights are clear when they are no on.
Old 09-04-06, 12:18 AM
lok888
Pole Position

sharpener - I just picked up my RX350 Saturday. I noticed the backup lights are on the rear liftgate. I would change it to the LED bulb (from autolumination.com) or hyper white, so it will make it brighter for backup. Any idea how to get access to the backup light sockets? It seems that I have to replace the inner panel in order to change the bulbs.
Old 09-04-06, 01:47 AM
sharpener
Driver

to replace , u need to open up the boot lid cover, there is @ least 16-18 clips

i did change mine once to white LED, it doesnt make it brighter, instead, the lights isnt visible during the day, therefore i change mine back to the original bulb
Old 09-04-06, 02:12 PM
lok888
Pole Position

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried the white LED bulbs before. But I have good experience with the hyper white bulbs on my other car and previously owned vehicles.

Perhaps it isn't worth to try for the backup light bulbs (or any bulbs) upgrade on the RX. Maybe upgrade the map, cargo, glove box or dorm lights to hyper white???
Old 09-04-06, 06:41 PM
sharpener
Driver

IMHO, not worth the backup upgrade
would be better if u upgrade ur fog to HID or change ur HID lo beam to philips ultinon 6000k
Old 09-11-06, 11:36 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

lok888,

Yeah, our RX's have the bulb-out warning system. Autolumination recommended that I buy load equalizers (not expensive). The thing I am not 100% sure about is that since they are LED bulbs, they shouldnt look "amber" or "red" until they are turned on...so the chrome will not do much...it may have a tint of amber without the chrome, but we would lose brightness if we go with the chrome-covered. I want the LEDs to be as bright as possible. I love how the newer BMW M3's look with the LED turn signals because they are so bright.

I havent ordered them yet because when installing the load equalizers, you have to splice a wire. This was the message I got from them:
"The load equalizers must be spliced across the + turn signal wire and the - ground wire at each led turn signal. On the Lexus, I think you will need
one 6 ohm at each led turn signal due to the bulb out warning system."

So I am trying to do a little more research first to see if this is absolutely necessary.

I will let you know.
Old 09-11-06, 11:38 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Originally Posted by sharpener
but if its the same color, wats the point of changing?
for the LEDs? i change mine to warm white, those of normal halogen colors, very bright, even brighter than amber
Sharpener,

Yes, I would change them to have the LED's for the turn signals. I am not a fan of the brake lights being LEDs but then the turn signals being standard bulbs. I am a big fan of LED's.

noticeable details in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Replace RX License Plate Lightbulb to Look like the GS?