RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replace RX License Plate Lightbulb to Look like the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 05:13 PM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace RX License Plate Lightbulb to Look like the GS?

I know this is detail, but I feel this is noticeable. Does anyone know how to change the license plate bulb on the RX to match the Xenon-look bulb that the new GS have? The dome lights are also this Xenon-blue(ish) bulb (The new IS also has this color for license and dome lights). I am assuming its the bulb and not the light-cover (clear plastic piece).

Also, Does anyone know how to make the amber rear-blinker lights red? This is not illegal...since the law only states that yellow must be seen somewhere on the car from side angle view. This can be seen by the front corner/side amber light and reflector. I've attached a picture of this below.

The reason why I would like to make the blinker Red...with the clear tailight with red LED brake lights (including upper center-trunk), I would like to keep everything Red.

An example: the New Acura TL...red LED tailights/ and regular blinker bulbs.

This isnt a huge deal, but thought I would ask. would be nice-to-have.

Ideally, I would also like to make the lower markers in the lower rear bumper clear with red bulbs - Im not sure if this would make it illegal since the reflectors are red. The good thing is these markers actually have bulbs, so having red bulbs would keep them legal...only when the car is off at night, there is supposed to be some kind of reflector...I am not sure if you are allowed to have a "clear-colored" reflector - I guess it would look like a flourescent ceiling light cover with a mirror behind it - so light would reflect back...with the same color that is pointed at it with a hint of the color of the bulb I suppose
Attached Thumbnails Replace RX License Plate Lightbulb to Look like the GS?-rx-331_sidemarker.jpg  
Old 08-31-06, 06:32 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Please tell me if I understand you right. You want the red rear turn signal instead of the amber, right? Isn't the red light bulb all you need?

Here is the lamp replacement guide:

Front & Rear turn signal = 992
License plate = 2825
Back up = 921
Old 08-31-06, 07:43 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Illegal In Illinois

In the attached picture, you highlighted the front indicators. If you are proposing to change these to red, I'm not sure about the laws in Virginia, but in Illinois this would be illegal.

The restriction is:

RED LIGHTS: Red lights visible from the front are prohibited. This does not apply to police or emergency vehicles.

Last edited by Gibster; 08-31-06 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Text referred to rear indicator but picture showed from indicator
Old 08-31-06, 07:46 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

That is what I need, but to find these bulbs in red has been the problem for me. I can't find them.
Old 08-31-06, 07:49 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Originally Posted by Gibster
I'm not sure about the laws in Virginia, but in Illinois what you are proposing would be illegal.

The restriction is:

RED LIGHTS: Red lights visible from the front are prohibited. This does not apply to police or emergency vehicles.
I'm not looking for red lights for the front. I just want to make the rear blinkers red.

In the front, I've tried changing the DRLs to hyper-white, but all the ones I've tried do not change the hue much at all, unless I go REALLY yellow. Same with ehe fog-lights. So for now, I've only changed the small parking lights to hyper-white/blue. subtle change of look.
Old 08-31-06, 07:55 AM
sharpener
Driver

im also interested in getting license plate bulbs tat look like GS, but alas, i have tried a few aftermarket white leds, but the effect is no where near it
is there any specific part number for it, where we can buy directly from lexus?
Old 08-31-06, 07:58 AM
sharpener
Driver

red blinkers LEDs are available throughout ebay
Old 08-31-06, 07:58 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand now. I, too, will probably change the fog lights to yellow at some point to make them more useful as fog lights. From previous discussions around changing these on models with the headlight washers, it appears to be a somewhat involved process. Bummer.
Old 08-31-06, 08:47 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Vinnyraj - That was easy. Again the rear turn signals are 992. You will have to find a red 992 bulb in replace of the amber one. So you will see everything red in the tail. IMO, having a red rear turn signal has domestic look.
Old 08-31-06, 11:04 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Originally Posted by lok888
Vinnyraj - That was easy. Again the rear turn signals are 992. You will have to find a red 992 bulb in replace of the amber one. So you will see everything red in the tail. IMO, having a red rear turn signal has domestic look.
Thanks. I will do a search for a red 992 bulb. I;m not sure exactly what you mean when you say domestic look...
Old 08-31-06, 11:05 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Originally Posted by sharpener
red blinkers LEDs are available throughout ebay
can i just switch LED bulbs into this socket or must it be wired...I thought LED wire/wattage specifications are different that standard bulbs...

Last edited by Vinnyraj; 08-31-06 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-31-06, 11:29 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Do you want the LED red bulbs for the rear turn signals? This is what I found. http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm The stock is 992, but they told the 7440 is the cross reference. They have the LEDs as well as the regular.

I meant it looks too domestic like those GM or Chevy cars with red tail lights, stop lights and turn signals.

Last edited by lok888; 08-31-06 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-31-06, 01:30 PM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Originally Posted by lok888
Do you want the LED red bulbs for the rear turn signals? This is what I found. http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm The stock is 992, but they told the 7440 is the cross reference. They have the LEDs as well as the regular.

I meant it looks too domestic like those GM or Chevy cars with red tail lights, stop lights and turn signals.
Oh wow...Lok,

Are you sure these do not require wire / wattage specifications for LEDs? If not, Im going to order amber LEDS for the front turn signals and probably Red LEDs for the rear (maybe amber - now you have me thinking about whether I should stay with the amber).

Last edited by Vinnyraj; 08-31-06 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-31-06, 01:34 PM
lok888
Pole Position

Vin - I sent them emails about this. They said it is plug and play. No hurt to call or email them before ordering. The 15 LED bulb is cool. But some bulb (or LEDs) are clear when it is not turn on. I think you want red when they are not turn on. Ask them.
Old 08-31-06, 01:44 PM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Yeah, I'll call them...Need more info about the different bulbs...they have a lot of different types. Dual circuit, single circuit, Matrix II Led, chrome-dome, etc.

Not sure which ones I should get.

Quick Reply: Replace RX License Plate Lightbulb to Look like the GS?