RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What are your 3 LEAST favorite things about the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 11:29 AM
gopherhock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't read everyone's but saw some I definitely agree with.

Here are a few of mine:

1. Adjustment of the steering wheel, at least for me, blocks the speedometer. I don't typically drive with the wheel way up like a truck driver.
2. Is there even a warning sound for being low on fuel? All I ever see is the little yellow light, and its blocked by my hand position most of the time. I have almost run out of fuel a few times. I need this thing to yell at me when I'm running low.
3. In the winter the vehicle seems to want to always use defrost and not the vents for heating (in auto mode). I have to switch to manual to get anything to come out of the vents. Wish this were somewhat adjustable.
4. Arm rests don't adjust properly. (or at all)
5. No outside temp display outside the nav screen. SHould be on the mirror etc.
6. Needs XM connected NAV for instant traffic updates.
Old 03-22-07, 12:31 PM
bigcal
Driver School Candidate

Default 3 (or more) LEAST favorite items

Back up lights are unsafe, need to see the side and back further than 6 inches.

Steering wheel adjustment, cannot see speedo cluster when wheel is adjusted in a comfortable position

Seat adjustment: I am tall and wish the seats would adjust further down, and back.

Lockable storage (somewhere, anywhere)

Keyless entry is a must, keys went out with the dark ages.

Better mileage

Less road noise, a way to take off the roof rack to improve mileage and hopefully provide less wind noise.

RX350 2007, have had four months and 10,000 miles

Other than that, love the car.
Old 03-22-07, 11:45 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the biggest issue i have is the lack of power. the next issue is how the seat doesnt go further back. the issue after that is the stupid nav and its limitations.
Old 03-26-07, 07:42 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

I've read through much of the pages, but not all. For me, it's a few things:
1. Aesthetics are a little lost on me.

The front grille placement is not very appealing, personally. I think it should be about an inch lower than where it is. I don't know how that affects air flow in the engine bay, unfortunately.

Also, the rear end is a little strange. I don't really like the rear third of the car in general. The rear side windows are too small and view is obstructed by the C-pillars, and the rear glass shape and taillight design/placement are unappealing to me.

2. The rear seats don't fold flat.

3. The cross-bars on the roof rack don't move up far enough.

4. The headlights get hazy.

One major addition I'd like to see on the RX - an all-glass or Lexan roof.
Old 03-27-07, 03:29 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ho0n
One major addition I'd like to see on the RX - an all-glass or Lexan roof.
They offer this--it's called the Multi-panel moonroof package, and is three pieces of glass that cover both rows, and slide back to stack on top of one another over the cargo area.
Old 03-27-07, 03:50 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3. The cross-bars on the roof rack don't move up far enough.

There is a rubber stopper in the track that you can remove. This will allow the front roof rail to slide all the way forward.
Old 03-27-07, 03:52 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=bigcal;2501098]
Keyless entry is a must, keys went out with the dark ages.

Better mileage

Less road noise, a way to take off the roof rack to improve mileage and hopefully provide less wind noise.
QUOTE]

Your car shouold have keyless entry. Don't you have the remote key?

You can remove the roof racks. It is kind of on or off though and not easily swappable. I took mine off and reinstalled it when I sold the car. Takes about 1/2 hour and you need to buy extra roof moldings to replace the roof rack ones.
Old 03-27-07, 03:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JMorton

5. Rear window wiper cannot be raised out of the way for cleaning the glass with a squeegee.
There is a plastic intert spacer that is used for shipping I guess that blocks the arm from raising. You need to remove it. Open the end cap that covers the bolt holding the wiper arm on, then simply break out that plastic spacer. After that your rear wiper arm will lift up like any other.
Old 03-27-07, 08:56 AM
ho0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
There is a rubber stopper in the track that you can remove. This will allow the front roof rail to slide all the way forward.
I already know about this, but even then, it's a little short

Originally Posted by geko29
They offer this--it's called the Multi-panel moonroof package, and is three pieces of glass that cover both rows, and slide back to stack on top of one another over the cargo area.
Do they offer this in North America? Would it be possible to get this installed?
Old 03-27-07, 09:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Do they offer this in North America? Would it be possible to get this installed?
They do offer it in NA, but you have to order your car with it, and there's no way it can be installed, as that would require cutting out the ENTIRE roof, installing rails on the sides, and then putting the panels in and rigging up some electric.

You don't see it very often (most dealers will never get one in stock), but they are a few out there. I've read that wind noise is really bad though, which is probably why it isn't more popular.
Old 03-27-07, 10:02 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes, mileage could be better. I looked carefully at my wife's Toyota Avalon and my RX, and really the only difference is that the Avalon has a dual exhaust system. The Avalong gets 28 on the highway, and my RX gets 21. So, I am thinking that a 2nd exhaust pipe, or a really big diameter single one, would have a big impact on gas mileage.

It would be nice to be able to use regular fuel!

Also, the seat should be designed to retract another 2" more than it does for large people. It would be soooo much more comfortable.
Old 03-27-07, 05:35 PM
losfeliz
Driver School Candidate

1. The phone / nav lockouts when moving - this prevents my passenger from operating

2. The lack of power folding mirrors

3. A better destination Est Time of Arrival system (like my BMW has)

+ Cel phone phonebook - download to phone book memory method
Old 03-27-07, 05:51 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by biff44
Yes, mileage could be better. I looked carefully at my wife's Toyota Avalon and my RX, and really the only difference is that the Avalon has a dual exhaust system. The Avalong gets 28 on the highway, and my RX gets 21. So, I am thinking that a 2nd exhaust pipe, or a really big diameter single one, would have a big impact on gas mileage.
You're kidding right? You don't think the fact that the RX:

1) weighs 400lbs more than the Avalon
2) has a much greater aerodynamic drag (0.35 vs. 0.29)
3) has AWD

makes any difference in the gas mileage? Suffice it to say, if the single exhaust in the RX still lets the engine spec out at 270hp, it has little to no negative effect on gas mileage. If the same engine got 230hp vs. the Avalon's 268, then there might be a restriction problem.

On the bright side:

It would be nice to be able to use regular fuel!
Have no fear, you can. Quite a few people on her have, and with good results. I tried two tanks of premium in a row followed by two tanks of regular in my wife's RX350, with no perceptable change in fuel economy, power, or engine smoothness. If 87 octane was too low, the knock sensor would have retarded the timing and both power and gas mileage would have suffered.
Old 03-27-07, 05:56 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, you are right. The AWD probably loses some efficiency. I am surprised that the aerodynamics are so much different. Maybe adding an air dam, or something, might be worthwhile.

400Lbs more? I guessed it was a little heavier, but not that much!
Old 03-27-07, 09:10 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Yeah, you are right. The AWD probably loses some efficiency. I am surprised that the aerodynamics are so much different. Maybe adding an air dam, or something, might be worthwhile.

400Lbs more? I guessed it was a little heavier, but not that much!
I doubt an air dam will do much good. It isn't so much the underbody that affects it, but the angle of attack for the fascia with the overall bulge of the body. We can expect that the curves of the car is the best Lexus can do with the engineering and chassis inside. The only way I can think of to substantially improve aerodynamics is to lower the roof and find some amazing way to channel some of that frontal air THROUGH some portion of the body (like the Carerra GT).

Quick Reply: What are your 3 LEAST favorite things about the RX?