RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Nav update? Gen2 or 3 I think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 06:12 AM
jberrong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav update? Gen2 or 3 I think?

I recently bought a 2004 RX330. Little did I know how old the Nav disc was. I would have definitely had them throw in the update disc. Anyway anybody know where to get these things for less than $320 my dealer quoted me? My wife loves the car other than that. Thanks
Old 09-06-06, 08:50 AM
RX_brain
Rookie

2004 RX use Gen 3. Some people have success on finding a good one on ebay. Be wary of fakes out there. I would personally go to my dealer when I decide to update mine to save me the possible headache. I used my Nav alot when I first had my RX, but after a few weeks, I grew tired of it. I use it only on out of town trips. Don't expect extra features on updated disc, it only updates the map and POI's. The look and feel would be the same. Congratulations on your car, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!
Old 09-06-06, 11:04 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Post Question...

I have a the 2004 RX330 which was bought about 3 months ago.

I was wondering if I update the NAV DVD would it recognize more of the roads that I am on. Let me explain: When I am driving in town and lets say I have the destination set and for the shortest distance. The NAV does not tell me to go on this street that is much shorter route to my house, but it displays it to be there. It makes me go to a longer route. I dont know what to make of this. I was wondering if some one with a Gen 3 NAV got the new updated NAV DVD and would know if this would have changed. If this has and it would give me those streets then I think it would be worth it to get.

I too dont use the NAV as much around town but only really use it for time to destination mostly. I wish that it would have a ETA so that I did not have to caculate it everytime.

Hope I did not confuse anyone.
Old 09-06-06, 11:43 AM
JorgeGVB
Driver

I have an '07 Gen 5 Nav system with the same issue. The mapping is not perfect and will take you the long way around at times. I wish the system learned about where to go from past trips.

The really odd trip for me is to my office. As you approach the office, it wants to go down one block out of the way and come back, it makes no sense at all. I have a cheap portable GPS system and it does not make that mistake.
Old 09-06-06, 12:36 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

When I am driving in town and lets say I have the destination set and for the shortest distance. The NAV does not tell me to go on this street that is much shorter route to my house, but it displays it to be there. It makes me go to a longer route. I dont know what to make of this.
If you know how to get there, why do you need the NAV with destination set? I only set destinations if I'm in unfamiliar area and don't know how to get there. It's no different from yahoo or mapquest driving directions in not taking shortcuts to various destinations. Moreover, if you know of a much shorter or faster street from your house, there's nothing stopping you from taking that street and the NAV will reroute the destination from that street.
Old 09-06-06, 02:18 PM
dhamaka127
Driver

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
If you know how to get there, why do you need the NAV with destination set? I only set destinations if I'm in unfamiliar area and don't know how to get there. It's no different from yahoo or mapquest driving directions in not taking shortcuts to various destinations. Moreover, if you know of a much shorter or faster street from your house, there's nothing stopping you from taking that street and the NAV will reroute the destination from that street.
I have the destination set just so i know how much more time i have to go.

As you said the NAV will reroute the destination from that street...well it does not do that..it stops telling me time to destination and just tells me straight line distance (displacement) to destination.

That is the reason for this question. Also if I am somewhere that I dont know the roads to I would want to take the shortest path if it is in town.

I just wanted to see if this was fixed with the NAV DVD upgrade. I guess not...
Old 09-06-06, 03:15 PM
crosborne
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Sewell Lexus. They dropped the price of Version 5.1 for Gen 2 and 3 NAVs to $200.00. If you can wait until November the newest version will be out and it will be $288.00. The prices do not include shipping and if you are in TX, tax.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....=37&ModelID=91
Old 09-06-06, 04:40 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with eBay, be sure to get a "Generation 2/3 Update Disc". A "Program Disc" will cause problems!
Old 09-06-06, 10:41 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you also look at quick vs. short vs. alternative routes. i think the default is quick, but sometimes short is different and more direct.

i upgraded the original nav in my RX this year and finally my house was on there. i bought the car in early 2003 and my house was built in late 2000 and the street was not there. so it obviously takes quite a while to update the discs. i wouldn't suggest getting the current one unless the newest roads near you have been there for at least 1-2 years. just my 2c.
Old 09-07-06, 07:01 AM
jberrong
Driver School Candidate

Do you have to leave the disc in place all the time? Or do you just need it once for the update. I am trying to think of a way to split the cost with someone.
Old 09-07-06, 08:34 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jberrong
Do you have to leave the disc in place all the time? Or do you just need it once for the update. I am trying to think of a way to split the cost with someone.
must be there all the time for the nav to function. and once you upgrade, you cannot go back (i.e., use your old disc)