RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is the RX 330 just poorly built??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 08:43 PM
darkalley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the RX 330 just poorly built??

My wife has owned a RX330 for a year-18,000 miles and I have to say that given the number of "inspections" required during the regularly schedule service they must not build these things to last. I realize dealers are looking to cover their fix operations costs through service vs. selling cars but it is beyond excessive. Here is my service experience at 10,000 miles. Hello Difeo Lexus, I'd like to have my oil changed and tire rotated. "OK that's the 10,000 mile check up-$230.00". No thanks just need the tires rotated and an oil change. "Oh, sorry, we only rotate tires if you get the full package." My cousin and aunt have the same car and in Cherry Hill NJ and Albany- both have similar stories. Although I've had no problems(not one) with the car, the Service DEpartment has turned me off completly to the brand. I rotate through my cars every two years. Back to Audi I guess. Anyone else find Lexus Service to be the biggest snake oil saleman out there?

I've given up on the free food and Lexus loaner for STS Tire and Auto...
Old 09-08-06, 10:11 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Why don't you just take your car to Jiffylube and pray you don't get any damage? Even Ford performs the multi-point inspection at every scheduled maintenance so Ford must not build their vehicles to last either.

Some people actually take care of their cars to last. I'd hate to see what crappy job you must do if you rotate through your cars every two years.
Old 09-08-06, 11:26 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I think what you meant to say is that...

Lexus service, by lexus dealers, is expensive, not that the car is poorly built.

If it was poorly built, you would have problems besides PM. Rattles, system failures, you name it.

I'm glad that you stated that you did not have a problem with the vehicle. That is very good reliablity! by my standards.

I have heard the dealership called the stealership, but service to be called snake oil salesman - Are they recommending Slick50 with the oil change? They are not selling you something bad for your car, it's just expensive. Now the dealer should have been able to quote you oil change and rotation a la carte prices. I remember paying $40 for tire rotation (balance?) once from the dealer and that was a long time ago.

Wherever you decide to take your car, the service and repairs need to be done right, or it will end up costing you in some way. I'm sure the tire and auto place can do a tire rotation, oil change, and alignment, but can they do a timing belt for your RX330, or what to re-torque your flange or body bolts to? The tire place won't be able to do any warranty related work either.
Old 09-09-06, 12:59 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should try a diff dealer if it's feasible. they all tack on all kinds of random inspection stuff. but i have not heard of a dealer saying they cannot price out your service a la carte if that is what you want... that seems like BS to me.

in my area (san diego, CA), there are 3 dealers. one charges about $210 for the regular 5k interval service (non-15k intervals). the one i go to charges $100 for the same thing. and they are fantastic. they've done all kinds of things for my car in the past and i am very satisfied w/ their service. i think you can go a la carte for oil and rotation for under $60-$70. i just let them do their thing for $100. but no way am i going to pay $200+
Old 09-09-06, 05:44 AM
RX_brain
Rookie

Poorly built car......NO! Bad dealership....YES! Lexus has probably one of the best dealership I've ever dealt with. Unfortunately not all Lexus dealership are equal. Try another dealership before you ditch the brand.
Old 09-09-06, 06:07 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree - find another Lexus dealer.
The inspections aren't a bad sign at all - it would be worse if you had to "replace" all the time rather than "inspect".

But you've found rule # 1 about Lexus service (or any dealer service, for that matter): never just buy a service interval package. They vary widely from dealer to dealer, and most add tasks that are not required per your service manual. There's a reason Lexus service advisors have individual offices - they're salesmen, just like the car salesmen, trying to maximize service revenue. You have to remember that most Lexus buyers pay MSRP and don't even question whatever price the service guy quotes. They have disposable income and the dealer is happy to take it!

So you need to find a Lexus dealer that will do only those services you ask for. And that shouldn't be hard - the guy you talked to should have just done what you asked rather than give you that "package only" BS. However, don't be surprised if they tell you that doing one or two specific things is only $20 cheaper than the whole "package'.

Don't be afraid to have routine service done somewhere else *reputable*, which does not include Jiffy Lube. Yes, you should take care of your investment, but you shouldn't have to pay through the nose for the service either.
Old 09-09-06, 09:25 AM
darkalley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
Why don't you just take your car to Jiffylube and pray you don't get any damage? Even Ford performs the multi-point inspection at every scheduled maintenance so Ford must not build their vehicles to last either.

Some people actually take care of their cars to last. I'd hate to see what crappy job you must do if you rotate through your cars every two years.
I actually take very good care of my cars, probably better than most-never take it through a car wash-never miss an oil change. I just like to have a new car every two years. I guess it is an addiction.

Yes I've had zero problems with my car-so lets just say my subject was a little poorly written. I will say that the service department at Lexus seems to prey on woman and the mis-informed. My wife called regarding the 15K service and that's when it started to go really down hill for Lexus. The 10K incident, when they wouldn't rotate the tires got me aggrevated but I had my wife call the dealership to schedule the 15k and they told her the 15k requires:
-new air filter ( i replace my air filter every 10k on all my cars-no need to pay)
-inspect nuts and bolts
-replace diff oil
-rear diff oil
-transfer case
-(among other general items)

I tell my wife to explain, as the manual states that she doesn't ride on "dirt roads, tow or operate in the desert" so according to the manual all of that work is not needed. He goes into his story about all the damage she is doing to the car.... come on. Maybe it's just Difeo Lexus that sets there service departments up this way but I've heard from numerous people similar service stories.

I'm not cheap and I can afford the service but when you see a brand being so excessive on service and trying to tell you how the manual is wrong I find it pretty insulting. I'd just reccomend anyone buying a Lexus to be very careful when they hit the service department. Yes they have nice food and comfortable chairs but remember a car dealer makes money on service, selling cars is just a necessary evil.

Last edited by darkalley; 09-09-06 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-09-06, 10:41 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a good national tire dealers in your area, like maybe a "Discount Tire" ?

Most will be glad to rotate and balance your tires for you. You'll need to request that the lugs be removed and installed with a hand spin wrench.

I have my vehicles lifted with four floor jacks with a rubber block between the jack cup and the Lexus body. I have it jacked at the four body edge points, with the double notches.
Then there is no risk of a lift damaging the exhaust system.

You are their future business; they are generally eager to please.

Insure the lugs are torqued to 76 Ft Lbs. This goes for dealers or anyone who loosens the lug.

The gear lubricant need not be changed till 30 K miles. The propeller shafts bolts have green Loctite installed. If they haven't been disturbed, their fine.

Your only concern is the oil. Keep the receipts in an envelope for the Toyota filter purchases and the five quarts of oil. Keep the engine air filter receipts; the interior ACC filter in the glove box, just vacuum every oil change and reuse it. It is changed at the 30K service.

I personally keep a running log book where all services are documented. This adds to the vehicle value with a future buyer or if totaled, to an insurance adjuster.
Old 09-09-06, 12:10 PM
crosborne
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service does not have to be done by a Lexus dealer. If you insist on going to a dealer, go to a Toyota Dealer. Any ASE certified mechanic can service your Lexus and the Manual spells out what needs to be done.
Old 09-09-06, 01:05 PM
darkalley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crosborne
Service does not have to be done by a Lexus dealer. If you insist on going to a dealer, go to a Toyota Dealer. Any ASE certified mechanic can service your Lexus and the Manual spells out what needs to be done.
I know. I guess I'm just venting. Sad part is my wife loves the car but I've already said this is the last Lexus. I was at a party talking to another RX330 owner in a different area and he had the same exact thing happen to him with the service. Probably just to spoiled with my Range Rover(zero problems) and Audi's free service. They can charge whatever they want but when they go into the snake oil salesman mode of all the damage not having the inspections done will do and tell my my wife how she shouldn't go by the book just totally turned me off to the brand.