RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

18" Dueler H/L Alenza - My thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 08:41 PM
stllex88
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" Dueler H/L Alenza - My thoughts

I just swapped out the stock 18" Michelins for the Alenza. Very interesting tire.
Noise
Low speeds - unique hum most likely related to the tire pattern. I've heard similar on other Bridgestone models I've had. Not overbearing but evident. Overall - On blacktop - slightly louder than the Michelins due to the hum. On concrete - quieter due to the lower road noise.

High Speeds - 65-70+ this is a wonderful tire. The "hum" disappears. Road noise on blacktop is non existent and highly muted on concrete compared to the Michelins.

Steering/Handling - much lighter and more responsive. Some of the understeer has been removed but it doesn't oversteer. Goes where it's pointed. Doesn't squeal at low speeds in parking lots. High speed cornering, highway ramps etc now inspire confidence. Overall a vast improvement.

Ride - a paradox. Larger bumps are absorbed better but small bumps (expansion joints) and undulations (not quite perfectly flat pavement and pavement irregularities) seem to be transmitted more. Overall you "feel" the road a bit more but are not punished with a harsh riding tire. I like that larger and harsher bumps don't hit as hard and I think it's a good thing that you can feel what the tires are doing a bit more.

Rain - they're brand new. Even under very hard breaking, the antilock did not kick in. Haven't driven in torrential downpours to judge hydroplaning but the Michelins were no prize in that dept.

Snow - TBD.

Aesthetics - sidewall design is an improvement with a slick looking pattern that doesn't say wimpy car tire and you can see it hails from their line of truck tires even with the "P" size designation

I think this is a substantial upgrade over the Michelin, and less expensive also. Given our choices, this is a no brainer.
Old 09-14-06, 05:26 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the review, stllex! I'm about to replace my Michelins and have considered the Alenzas. Tire Rack rates them superior to the OEM tires, but it's good to hear from an actual owner. When I replaced the Integritys on my RX 300 with Cross Terrains, I heard that same hum for a few weeks. It might be that some of the mold flash has to wear off the tire . . . or maybe I just got used to it.