RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 50K Service and PCV valve & throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 09:48 AM
jaxbreuker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 50K Service and PCV valve & throttle?

I have a 2004 RX330 AWD and just took it in for the 50K service. While there, my dealership's service center called me to say they were replacing the PCV valve & cleaning the throttle assembly. They didn't ask me if it was fine, they were already in progress. I just had the vehicle serviced before the warranty ran out, and neither of those items were an issue then. I always put high octane fuel in it - and only from Exxon or bp. I can't see how those items were a problem this soon. The two together cost me almost $400 - Pohanka Lexus for you.

I think I got hosed - does anyone agree?
Old 10-02-06, 11:22 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

You probably got hosed! There are some dealers out there with very poor ethics. An early clue is someone who adds paint and/or interior treatment to the window sticker. Run, don't walk away before you buy from them! The same kind of dealer adds an "oil additive" at your oil changes. I even had one Lexus dealer tell me the throttle body on my SC300 needed to be cleaned even though it had just been replaced under warranty at another dealer.

Before you sign the service authorization, find out what they include in their estimate and require at least verbal approval for additional work.

Steve
Old 10-02-06, 11:45 AM
jaxbreuker
Driver School Candidate

Angry No choice in the matter

Steve,

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to say yay or nay - they started the work without my approval. I don't know about their selling practices as I bought the car from Grapevine Lexus in Texas, and since moved back to VA where the closest dealer/service center I have is Pohanka.

I have trouble believing that either the throttle or the PCV valve were dirty enough to warrant replacement and/or cleaning. In addition, when I questioned this in relation to my warranty just ending, they informed me that these things would not have been covered under my warranty even if the problems had existed a couple thousand miles ago.

Their service director is supposed to talk to me today, but it's almost 3 pm and I still haven't heard anything. The chances of my taking it in to them for the 60K service have become very slim.

Jackie
Old 10-02-06, 07:06 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also think you got hosed ...

You did not approve the repair.

Escalate to corporate. Give them a chance to turn around your opinion of the Lexus service. Use the 800 customer service number.

Discuss with them on the throttle valve cleaning as part of warranty. The PCV valve replacement also.

This is the type of service not standard for a Lexus dealer.
Old 10-03-06, 07:15 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

In Wisconsin they can't do any work till you sign thats its OK to do or if they call you & get the OK its on a recording.
I thought all states had this??
Old 10-03-06, 08:54 AM
teracon
Driver

Sorry to hear about your problem. I stopped going to Pohanka since they botched a repair on my 97 Integra.

If it is not too far out of the way, Lindsay Lexus is pretty good. I take both my IS and my fiance's RX there for service and repairs. They call when they have to repair/replace something and they make sure that they provide me with alternate transporation (Lexus rental or Enterprise).

Since you did not give consent, I would tell them to put back on the old parts and take it elsewhere. I did it with my Acura.
Old 10-03-06, 10:47 AM
jaxbreuker
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy I should've known better

teracon

I should've known better. I used to have a TL and Pohanka's Acura service center was horrible with it. They kept it for 2 weeks at one point "waiting for parts" but it turns out they had it in their body shop after messing up one of the doors pretty bad. They never disclosed any of it to me - I had an independent mechanic inspect it and that was his conclusion - especially considering the fine dust that was all over the car when I picked it up.

I wish I were closer to some other dealership - unfortunately, I live in Warrenton which is already 40 minutes from Chantilly - Lindsey would be over an hour. Pohanka does have the loaners onsite - so I get in and out really fast - but you pay for it bigtime in the long run.

I tried speaking to the service director yesterday and he never responded to my complaint. Today, I call corporate Lexus.

Thanks for your support!