RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

cracked windshield RX350

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 07:06 PM
krchoudary
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy cracked windshield RX350

I bought a Rx350 10 days back. went to Galveston beach yesterday and noticed a crack on my front windshield this afternoon. Don't know how it happened. I parked it in the parking lot of the motel I stayed. The crack is 122 inches long on the right side of the windshield. I have full insurance from AIG including comprehensive.

Please advise me what I should do now. Whom should I contact and wat should I do now. Does Lexus dealer provide me with a new windshield ? is it the waranty of lexus or the insurance that covers this ? I am very upset with this happening .I just came back from the beach to Dallas and don't know how to proceed now.

thanks in advance
Old 10-15-06, 07:30 PM
krchoudary
Driver School Candidate

I have my insurance with AIG and my deductible on comprehensive coverage is 250 $. the SUV has 870 miles as of now on the odometer.
Old 10-15-06, 10:04 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

If it has no apparent impact from a rock or other objects, you should have a Lexus dealer take a look at it. There were cases here, if you search enough, about a defective windshield on an RX. Otherwise, your insurance should cover it. RX windshield is pretty expensive.
Old 10-15-06, 11:09 PM
c4posey
Driver School Candidate

I'm an insurance agent in Connecticut. Deductibles do not apply on glass claims here. The term "full glass" is the operative word that would get you a new windshield w/ no out of pocket expense. I don't know about your state's coverages, but if you have an agent, he or she should have offered it. Just call them up. They will be happy to send an auto glass company out to your home or place of business to have a new one installed. I don't represent AIG, but if they didn't offer a free windshield I'd drop 'em.
Old 10-15-06, 11:24 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would make sure you get a Lexus replacement windshield as well--not some generic brand with bad optics
Old 10-16-06, 04:51 AM
2puppies
Driver School Candidate

I had a rock hit mine at two weeks and 700 miles. I called my insurance and they wanted to fix the "dollar-bill" sized crack, but being that it was such a new car, I insisted on replacing it. I took it to my local Lexus dealer and it was about $1800 - $1600 for the windshield and molding and $200 for labor. That included the wiper sensing tape. Be sure and ask your insurance company about sublets though. They may not pay if it's sublet. In that case, you should find out from Lexus who does their vehicles and take it directly there, but insist on OEM glass.
Old 10-16-06, 06:26 AM
salimshah

Received 1,066 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by krchoudary
I bought a Rx350 10 days back. went to Galveston beach yesterday and noticed a crack on my front windshield this afternoon. Don't know how it happened. I parked it in the parking lot of the motel I stayed. The crack is 122 inches long on the right side of the windshield. I have full insurance from AIG including comprehensive.

Please advise me what I should do now. Whom should I contact and wat should I do now. Does Lexus dealer provide me with a new windshield ? is it the waranty of lexus or the insurance that covers this ? I am very upset with this happening .I just came back from the beach to Dallas and don't know how to proceed now.

thanks in advance
Since your vehicle is sooo new, and if the crack can be attributed to manufacturing defect, then you can lean on Lexus for repair as well as payment.

Unfortunately, most of the cracks (specailly in Texas ) are due to rocks/gravel/projectiles kicked up on the road. It usually starts as a spec, but expands into a crack. In this case, your insurance picks up the charge for repairs (with deductabels .. which can be $0, if you go for a chip-repair).

You have three options for repairs .. insurance genrally would suggest the least cost to them . Listed in order of cost.
1. Chip repair. Which is filling the crack with adhesive. Pros: Least invasive.
2. Windshield replacement with NON-OEM
3. Windshield replacement with OEM.

If you go the dealer route, they sub-contract.

Instead of rehashing OEM, OEM-equiavalent here, I suggest you search the Forum. Dont forget to browse GS forum as well.

Salim
Old 10-16-06, 10:55 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Keep in mind the windshield for the RX350 has sound dampening qualities that makes it different than a typical OEM windshield. I just looked at my RX and the side windows are labled as PPG (a very common OEM manufacturer for automotive glass). However, the front windshield is labled Lexus which makes me think either Toyota/Lexus is manufacturer these (not likely) or rebranding someone else's glass. The latter scenario is more likely.
Old 10-16-06, 12:02 PM
Seadee456
Driver

Do you know the origin of the crack? Did it begin on an edge or somewhere in the middle? If it was at the edge, it may be a defect that was made worse by the humidity in Houston. That was the deal with my mom's LX470 when we took it to Houston and was cracked when we got back to Dallas. This makes me never wanting to take my Lexus down there.
Old 10-16-06, 01:02 PM
krchoudary
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys.
My windshield has the crack starting from one end and extending for 12 inches horizontally. There is no indication of being hit with any rock chip.
Old 10-16-06, 01:03 PM
krchoudary
Driver School Candidate

Seadee456 ,

how did you get the windshield replaced if it was becuase of a defect in the glass ? did the Dealer obilize your claim ?
Old 10-16-06, 01:12 PM
Seadee456
Driver

Originally Posted by krchoudary
Seadee456 ,

how did you get the windshield replaced if it was becuase of a defect in the glass ? did the Dealer obilize your claim ?
It was 4 years ago, I'm going to ask my dad when I get off work tonight. We took it to Park Place Grapevine to have it replaced. We were going to pay for it but they found several other "stress marks" along the windshield and replaced it under waranty.

If only they still offered this kind of service. They are ****** when I take my RX in for waranty service.
Old 10-16-06, 02:08 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

My experience with Park Place dealerships have not been good. I think you have a better chance with Sewell in Dallas. The lounge is not fancy as Park Place, but who cares? IMO, the service is much better. If Park Place turn you down and ask you to pay for it out of pocket, try taking it to another dealership. Warranty work can be done by any Lexus dealers. Good Luck!!