RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Infiniti Nav vs Lexus Nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 10:54 PM
2puppies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Infiniti Nav vs Lexus Nav

I really hate to even think about it, but I'm considering selling my RX350 that I just bought a month ago because of the damn navigation and bluetooth! (Are you hearing me, Toyota????) I was so used to the system in the Acura and this does nothing but frustrate me.

Does anyone know about the Infiniti navigation system and bluetooth? Do they both allow entry while you're driving? Or can you view the names/titles of artists while driving?

I nearly purchased an RX350 three years ago when I bought my Acura TL, and finally did this time, but now am so disappointed. From all the threads on this, I can tell everyone else is as well. I wish there was an easy software fix for the 6.1 version, as I don't want to do a hardwire or a switch.

What about other navigation systems? Any other positive experiences?

Toyota/Lexus - when are you going to read the writing on the wall? We love your vehicles, but don't like all the so-called safety constraints that other car manufacturers don't require.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-06, 06:45 AM
lok888
Pole Position

I agree with you that the navigation system on our RX won't allow entry while the vehicle is in motion. I understand this is what the car manufacturer (Toyota/Lexus) wants. It is frustrated that I have to find a place to park or pull over when I need to find an address or place while I am driving on a highway or a busy road. You know, sometime destination or plan changes. Sometime break down lane is the most dangerous place to stop. Many motorists or even cops were killed when stopping at the break down lane by other motorists.

Is the navigation on Honda/Acura work differently than Toyota/Lexus? I know safety and liability are their concerns. But, isn't it any different than you changing radio station while driving or adjust the cabin temperature and even the air flow setting??

I wish they (Toyota/Lexus) can change that at least you can voice activate the navigation system while driving. So you don't have to take your eyes off the road or hands off the steering wheel.
Old 10-16-06, 06:50 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Did ya ever stop to think-

that YOU DON"T NEED TO BE MESSING WITH NAV, DIALING CELL PHONE etc while in your own words- " while I am driving on a highway or a busy road". Special emphasis on "busy".

Thanks Lexus for watching out for the rest of us! Its to bad ignorance isn't painful.
Old 10-16-06, 07:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

One of my gripes with the RX300 were the DRLs (daytime driving lights). I promptly pulled the fuse underneath the battery plate and now I am happy.

What irritates me is that on the Camry, you can disable this feature without having to resort to getting greased hands and using duct tape, just a simple turn of a switch.

That would irritateme with the NAV, as there could be a passenger who can also do the switching.
Old 10-16-06, 07:43 AM
lok888
Pole Position

If this is the case, the audio function and steering wheel column cannot be changed or adjusted while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 10-16-06, 08:09 AM
Ms350
Rookie

I'll admit I've only had my vehicle a week, and barely know how to operate the Nav, not to mention, it's my first vehicle with Nav so I am not trying to re-train myself, but while out this weekend we played with the system a bit and we were able to add an address through voice commands while driving and it worked just fine.

We've had to pull out the Nav quick guide to find out what wording it wanted, but once we knew what command to say, it led us through the rest of it and the guidance was spot on.

When I started looking at the RX, I wasn't interested in having the NAV. I usually just drive back and forth to work and didn't see the need. Our test drive vehicle had the system and after seeing it I had to have it! It's already come in handy on 2 occassions this week and I feel less intimidated venturing out into unknown parts of town!

I can totally understand the safety concerns. Trying to operate some functions while driving would be dangerous. As time goes by, I may find some of the limitations inconvienient and somewhat frustrating, but as of now, I am just amazed at what the system is capable of and we just love it!
Old 10-16-06, 08:17 AM
2puppies
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lok888
Is the navigation on Honda/Acura work differently than Toyota/Lexus? I know safety and liability are their concerns. But, isn't it any different than you changing radio station while driving or adjust the cabin temperature and even the air flow setting??
Yes, the Acura is fully functional while driving. And I think the placement of the voice activated controls for both bluetooth and navigation are more driver-friendly. Also, the TL has their personalized settings, such as how long after you turn off the car the lights go out, or when the doors lock, etc. available for you to change yourself or by driver, so that you don't have to go to the Lexus dealer who will charge you after the first time you make these changes. The TL also has real-time traffic, which shows when there are accidents/slowing traffic up ahead so you can reroute.

Plus even if you are using the voice recognition system with the Acura, you can interrupt the male/female voice (they give you a choice), and you don't have to listen to the entire statement. The commands are easy - like "call home", not "dial by name", "home", etc., or "temperature 74".

That said, the Lexus has a lot of features the Acura doesn't - I love the vehicle itself, the backup camera, the retracting steering wheel, etc. I just wish that the navigation, bluetooth and radio controls could be used by a passenger while driving. Even if you stop at a light and quickly key in the nearest bank, the list disappears as soon as you start moving again. You could be just a second away from finding your search, and you lose it. When I was returning from a trip to California, my passenger was entering the search and became very frustrated when she couldn't complete the search as soon as I started moving (on the freeway). I had to get either get off at the next exit or pull over to the side of the road - not very safe - in order to complete the directions.

I'm wanting to know if there are other vehicles out there, such as Infiniti, that allows that as well. I'm not looking at BMW or Mercedes due to reliability problems, and would much prefer the Lexus. But if necessary, I'll go back to another TL. As it is, it's almost like not having the navigation system at all, and I'm feeling frustrated rather than having the thrill of a new vehicle!
Old 10-16-06, 08:29 AM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by Todd
that YOU DON"T NEED TO BE MESSING WITH NAV, DIALING CELL PHONE etc while in your own words- " while I am driving on a highway or a busy road". Special emphasis on "busy".

Thanks Lexus for watching out for the rest of us! Its to bad ignorance isn't painful.

There are times when these things are a bad idea, but there are plenty of times it can be done safely. I was sitting at a red light the other day and the was entering an address in the nav system. The light turned green and I had like one more button to push and the whole screen went gray and would not let me finish.

That other thing I have grown tired of is the nag screen for the nav system that requires you to press "I agree." You know that is only there because the Lexus legal department required it. There should be some way to disable it.
Old 10-16-06, 08:35 AM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by 2puppies
Plus even if you are using the voice recognition system with the Acura, you can interrupt the male/female voice (they give you a choice), and you don't have to listen to the entire statement. The commands are easy - like "call home", not "dial by name", "home", etc., or "temperature 74".
I was playing around with the voice commands this weekend for the first time. The fact that you cannot interrupt the system is very annoying. It is helpful at first, but by the time you try something 3 or 4 times you should be able bypass it. The purpose of voice commands is to be safer and faster. Lexus needs to improve these things.
Old 10-16-06, 08:41 AM
lok888
Pole Position

I agree with the "CAUTION" screen. The idea is good but at least it will disappear within few seconds and change to the navi screen or screen with Lexus logo after initializing process.
Old 10-16-06, 09:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Contract law, I was never good at that (IP law is my thing).

However, I am guessing that maybe if Lexus came to its senses and allowed NAV in motion, that they could put a disclaimer or a waiver on the driver's part when you click I AGREE.
Old 10-16-06, 10:22 AM
2puppies
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Contract law, I was never good at that (IP law is my thing).

However, I am guessing that maybe if Lexus came to its senses and allowed NAV in motion, that they could put a disclaimer or a waiver on the driver's part when you click I AGREE.
That's what Acura does. I don't mind pressing the "I agree" screen once as long as it's fully functional after that.
Old 10-16-06, 11:06 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Hope to see some comparisons on factory installed DVD based navigation system. Edmunds? Car and Driver? Consumer Reports?
Old 10-16-06, 12:01 PM
jberrong
Driver School Candidate

I just do the override when I know I will want to use while driving. Works for me.
Old 10-16-06, 12:06 PM
lok888
Pole Position

How? Works for RX350 with Gen. 5 navigation?

Quick Reply: Infiniti Nav vs Lexus Nav