RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Installing GPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 10:48 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing GPS

Just purchased a new Magellan portable GPS. Was thinking of using the dash mount that comes with it but not too sure about doing any drilling on the dash. Has anyone else installed one, I was thinking a velcro glued somewheres on the dash instead of drilling holes??

HELP

PS - Reason for getting portable is I will be able to use it in both of our vehicles.
Old 10-20-06, 10:58 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Is that come with a windshield mount?
Old 10-20-06, 11:04 AM
Signet
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash mount

Usually portable units come with a plastic disc (with either a double-sided tape or glue) to attach onto the dashboard. Once you're done, you can then use the suction cup to attach the unit to the disc on the dash.
Old 10-20-06, 11:14 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Dash Mount

Yes this one does come with the windshield suction cup mount plus the dash mount . The dash mount allows you to simply slid the unit in & out of the mount. The mount is wired up to the cars wiring so it is a fast install.
I have used one in the vehicle with the windshield mount which worked great, just thought someone installed the dash mount & could share info.

Keep responding, THANKS
Old 10-20-06, 12:49 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Out of curosity ...

If you use the mounting hardware, as dash mounted, what do you do when you want to use it in the other vehicle. Do you buy two mounting kits?

I would have preferred a windshield mount system with no wires .. aka Garmin Nuvi or similar.

Salim
Old 10-20-06, 06:00 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Garmin StreetPilot 2xxx series comes with a big bean bag that has a rubber bottom, and it works great! No gluing, drilling, or suction cups on the window. It doesn't slide around.

Maybe there's something similar available for your unit.
Old 01-10-09, 06:48 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Here's my typical set up for all the GPS I have on my cars. Thye RX has the same unit mounted the same way.

Old 01-10-09, 06:48 AM
mandyfig

Post your GPS mounts for those of us who have no NAVs!
Old 01-10-09, 07:07 AM
mandyfig

Here's for the RX:

Old 01-10-09, 09:09 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only problem with that suggested mount is that it makes it easy for anyone who wants one via the "five finger discount" to break your window, ****** the GPS and be gone in seconds. I only the window suction piece and, even then, I periodically wipe the windshield down so that you can't see the ring from the outside.

Gary
Old 01-10-09, 10:20 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

I too used the windshield mount with our 04 RX, our 09 has NAV. The reason for the window mount was easy removal so the bad guys didn't see it when parked. We took it in with us when possible otherwise put it out of sight.
I mounted it right in the center area.
Old 01-10-09, 10:36 AM
Orzel
Lead Lap

I'm using a beanbag mount for our Garmin 660 and it's been flawless in keeping the GPS in place, including panic stops and acceleration. We have the beanbag mount centered on the dash so that my wife can input if needed as we're driving. You might want to check the beanbag style mounts, inexpensive and allowes you easy movement to another vehicle.
Old 01-10-09, 11:46 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Just purchased a new Magellan portable GPS. Was thinking of using the dash mount that comes with it but not too sure about doing any drilling on the dash. Has anyone else installed one, I was thinking a velcro glued somewheres on the dash instead of drilling holes??

HELP

PS - Reason for getting portable is I will be able to use it in both of our vehicles.
In my 08 I used a ProClip mount for my Dell axim with GPS. Great system; mounts in the vent grills on driver side of dash. 2 part system; 1 for the vehicle and one for the device, and they are interchangeable. Here is the link.

http://www.proclipusa.com
Old 01-10-09, 11:56 AM
boaclub923
Rookie

well.. just let u ppl know..
if u r in california
anything, except rear mirror, mounts on windsheld is illegal
i know.. weird law that not many ppl know it
Old 01-10-09, 02:13 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Pro.Fit has nice brackets with a choice of several for the RX330: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/lexus with installation instruction links for each on http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Compatibility2.cfm The "G3" bracket is specifically for the Garmin Nuvi.

I installed a Pro.Fit Legend bracket with a built-in swivel in my LS next to the radio to hold my now aging Magellan Roadmate GPS and bought an extra power cord that I hid behind the trim and hardwired to the car's accessory outlet wire. It's mounted at about the same level as the factory GPS would be and is easy for my wife to reach. She can't begin to reach a GPS on the windshield without removing her seat belt.

I've been too chicken to use a vent clip on a Lexus - the center vents on my LS are fragile and the vent assembly is over $350 for the part. I don't like the idea of blocking air flow but I haven't tried a vent clip -- maybe it's not that bad. I am liking the idea of getting a vent clip for use in rental cars. Regardless, I've found having the GPS mounted by the radio is far more convenient than having it anyplace on the windshield.

I almost never remove the GPS from its bracket unless it is extremely cold or hot - I just throw a hat or other article of clothing over it to hide it when parking out in public.

Last edited by Kansas; 01-10-09 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing GPS