RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 - To Buy or Not to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 09:57 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 - To Buy or Not to Buy?

My wife is in the market for a new crossover type SUV. She definitely wants a premium luxury brand and the RX350 sure does suit her Would any of you recommend any other SUVs to try out? I am the type that wants to make an informed decision and I know Lexus is top notch but I still would like to try out some others. I do think the Infiniti FX has the best styling but the RX seems to have the best overall appeal(cargo, fuel economy, build quality, ride quality, etc).

Another thing that worries me is that would we be buying towards the end of this gen. If there is a new one coming out, perhaps it's better to lease for 1-2 years and then buy the new one? I feel like after reading some threads, some things are going to be upgraded or could be upgraded in the current one like Nav with live traffic info, Upgraded sterio along the lines found in the new GS sedan, true iPod integration, etc and maybe some other features. It would be really nice to see the new RX have CVT even on the non-hybrid one. I have driven a Murano and the acceleration is just so smooth. I bet fuel economy would be even better on an RX with CVT. I know a lot of SUVs are due for a redesign in the next year or so. Dont' know if we should wait it out with a lease or just buy.

Kan-O-Z
Old 10-23-06, 10:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My bet is the next gen RX will come out sometime in 2008 as a 2009 model.

Anywy, even as a current RX330 owner I would also look at the Acura MDX since it is brand new for 07. My choice was between the last gen MDX and current RX (RX330 at the time). I would have choose the MDX except for two main points. The power rear hatch and the HID headlights which the MDX did not have. My cousin has an 05 MDX and space and cargo wise it has more room than the RX. I also felt that build quality and interior quality and fit and finish were easily as good and even better in certain areas as the RX, with the RX also being better in certain areas. I haven't been able to see the new MDX, but generally they improve on the outgoing model, and if the quality is anything like the RL it will be superb.

I would have no problem recomending an RX350 to anyone, but I also would have no problem recomending the MDX. I think between the two will come down to personal choice.
Old 10-23-06, 10:31 AM
lok888
Pole Position

So far, I've learned more from other than Edmunds.com about the all-new 2009 RX. It is due in spring 2008. Lexus will offer four different trims: RX350, RX350L , RX460 and RX460L. The "L" word means long wheelbase, similar to LS460L. The long wheelbase of the new RX will offer a 3rd row seating which carries up to 7 people.
Old 10-23-06, 10:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by lok888
So far, I've learned more from other than Edmunds.com about the all-new 2009 RX. It is due in spring 2008. Lexus will offer four different trims: RX350, RX350L , RX460 and RX460L. The "L" word means long wheelbase, similar to LS460L. The long wheelbase of the new RX will offer a 3rd row seating which carries up to 7 people.
most of that doesnt seem like correct info :-).
Old 10-23-06, 10:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
My wife is in the market for a new crossover type SUV. She definitely wants a premium luxury brand and the RX350 sure does suit her Would any of you recommend any other SUVs to try out? I am the type that wants to make an informed decision and I know Lexus is top notch but I still would like to try out some others. I do think the Infiniti FX has the best styling but the RX seems to have the best overall appeal(cargo, fuel economy, build quality, ride quality, etc).

Another thing that worries me is that would we be buying towards the end of this gen. If there is a new one coming out, perhaps it's better to lease for 1-2 years and then buy the new one? I feel like after reading some threads, some things are going to be upgraded or could be upgraded in the current one like Nav with live traffic info, Upgraded sterio along the lines found in the new GS sedan, true iPod integration, etc and maybe some other features. It would be really nice to see the new RX have CVT even on the non-hybrid one. I have driven a Murano and the acceleration is just so smooth. I bet fuel economy would be even better on an RX with CVT. I know a lot of SUVs are due for a redesign in the next year or so. Dont' know if we should wait it out with a lease or just buy.

Kan-O-Z
drive all the competitors and then decide. There is nothing better than actually testing the vehicles.
Old 10-23-06, 10:48 AM
lok888
Pole Position

hummm... what is incorrect? Lexus will discountine the RX?
Old 10-23-06, 11:13 AM
JorgeGVB
Driver

In my experience buying new cars, it is always better to buy later in the generation than to buy a new model. New models always have issues to be worked out, so it is better to wait until they are improved after a couple of years.

The RX350 is a new name for the '07 model. It seems unlikely they would have a new model next year already. I would suspect the '08 to be very similiar to the '07 with minor changes. Maybe something all new for '09.
Old 10-23-06, 12:36 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

I agree with CK. Check out the new Acura's. You have the MDX and the smaller RDX, which is more of a crossover. Another good choice is the BMW X3. If you don't want a luxury brand, check out the Mazda CX-7.
Old 10-23-06, 01:02 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might recommend the RX-400h for an additional test and comparison.
Old 10-23-06, 01:19 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely check out the new MDX but it's grill makes it look like a tranformer I think it's a misconception that the MDX offers more cargo space. The RX (84.7 cu. ft.) is actually larger than the MDX (83.5 cu. ft.) with all of the seats folded! The RX (4,090 lbs AWD) is lighter than the MDX (4548lbs) by nearly 500lbs. This probably results in overall lighter feel and maybe handling and better fuel economy for the RX which is a good thing. Fuel economy is RX (19 city/24 hwy) and MDX (17 city/ 22hwy). HP is RX ( 3.5L - 270hp) and MDX (3.7L 300hp) but I bet performace is about the same due to extra 500lbs on the MDX.

All in all, the RX still stands strong. I just can't wait for the new one to come out in 208/2009 as I really love Lexus styling lately!

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_x.html

Kan-O-Z
Old 10-23-06, 01:30 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

I sort of want to stay away from MB and BMW as they seem to be a little more truck based and heavier and lower fuel economy and to top it of they don't seem to have the best reliability. She also wants to look at the Cayenne...I think she likes the brand

Kan-O-Z
Old 10-23-06, 06:24 PM
Bongos
Rookie

I just went throught this a few weeks ago, couldn't decide between the RX350, FX35, ML350, X3, and MDX...it came down to the RX350 and FX35...after I test drove the Fx35 , I went with the RX350. The FX35 felt like you're dragging your *** when you accelerate, the RX350 had mileage, smoothness in acceleration, power, reliability, and strong resale values (2005 ML350, FX35, MDX where worth around the $25k range where the RX330 were $30K) made me go with the RX350... the 2006 MDX though tempting due to older styling and great incentives..new at about $31K... I passed up for the RX350
Old 10-23-06, 07:42 PM
d6500k
Driver School Candidate

I am also in the market for new SUV. Currently, I am driving the 01 MDX. My friend who is driving the RX300 is stronly recommending the RX due to its reliability and comfort.

My MDX is not as reliable as I thought. The wind noise on driver's side door is bugging me. Last year I had the AC compressor replaced which cost me over 2K. I had heard the tranmission of my car can be problematic down the road.

Although the new MDX looks tempting with the magnetic damping and upgraded power. I think my next car will be very likely to the RX.
Old 10-23-06, 09:04 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

How is the ride on the FX35? I honestly find this to be one of the best looking SUVs on the road but it's also more impractical with smaller interior space and rougher ride than the rest. I also drove the Murano and really liked it. Besides the RX, the Murano might be one of the nicer crossover SUVs out there.

Kan-O-Z
Old 10-23-06, 09:33 PM
Bongos
Rookie

I agree the fx35 is one of the best looking suv (you either love it or hate it), it's sister is the murano. I would think the drive would be different, the 2006/2007 Murano has the new CVT transmission where the FX is still 5 spd automatic.

Quick Reply: RX350 - To Buy or Not to Buy?