RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Which one? RX or ML
RX 350
88.89%
ML 350
11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

RX350 or ML350????

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 12:36 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of those two... I would pick the RX
Tell you why but shhh...

I AM A TOYOTA FAN FOR LIFE!
Old 10-30-06, 05:00 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by sea60
JorgeGVB

I thought of that but unable to find a rental agency with 2007 RX350’s or ML.
Do you find the rear seat large enough to seat three adults comfortably and does the A/C cool the rear passenger area satisfactorily?
Thanks
You might see if the dealer will rent you one from their loaner fleet. I think you could seat 3 adults in the backseat ok. Not sure I would want to drive across country that way though!

My ML had 2 zone a/c, so the backseat is well cooled. You can shut it off too.
Old 10-30-06, 05:28 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
My wife and I just bought the RX 350 and we are very happy with it. We test drove the X5 and Cayenne and FX. We didn't however drive the ML350. Here are the advantages of the RX compared to most competitors.

-Interior is larger than most competitors (85 cu. ft of cargo with seats folded) is the largest of the group.
-Interior is more luxurious with more advanced features than most competitors (Touch Screen Navigation, Rear backup camera, Voice Recognition, Hands-Free Blue Tooth) almost anything you can think of is there. There is even a handy power rear liftgate to open/close automatically
-Most powerful V6 engine. The 3.5L, 270hp is one of the most powerful in the class. The FX 35 is rated 280hp but remember that is not rated on the new SAE standards.
-Most fuel efficient engine. Despite having the most power, this engine can attain nearly 25mpg on the highway!
-Low Curb weight. Being about 500lbs to 1000lbs lighter than the competion means better acceleration and fuel economy. It shows! The RX 350 can out accelerate the ML500 V8!!
-Best Reliability. I think no one will argue here that the Lexus is best in class.
-Best Ride and Most Quiet in class

The rear leg room and AC are no problem at all! What the ML does have is that it is more like a truck. If you want to do some serious off-roading (which 99% will never do), you may want to consider. If not, the RX is great.

Kan-O-Z
You make a lot of great points here. Some good points about the ML350 would be 2-zone A/C and more low-end torque. The ML has German aggressive handling, which is very different that Japanese vehicles. The ML is much heavier, but you will very likely survive any crash (it is built like a tank!). Although it will cost you MPG.

Interior cargo space may be bigger with the seats down by the numbers. Frankly, most people will rarely every use it that way. I will admit the one thing I miss most about my ML is the cargo space with seats up. The ML is much bigger (width and seat height) than my RX.

Sea60, you are not going to find many ML fans here being a Lexus forum, but after owning one myself, you should at least test drive before buying. It is a very nice vehicle, it's just different than a RX. It not so much truck like, as it has that MB or BMW feel. I was just ready for a change after 5 years. However, I would have no problem buying a MB in the future. Surprisingly I'm having a slight problem adjusting to the soft ride of the RX, I do miss that MB feel.

I am not sure I would bet my paycheck on a RX beating a ML500 though. The ML500 actually as more HP, its over 300. That sucker is fast too! I would like to see a race with the RX; just let me get out of the way.
Old 11-01-06, 06:25 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JorgeGVB
Surprisingly I'm having a slight problem adjusting to the soft ride of the RX, I do miss that MB feel.
I am considering a little bit of a stiffer spring. I think TTE (Team Toyota Europe) may be a good way to go for $299. It's made to work with stock struts. I'm hoping this tightens up the handling just enough to be more confident and enjoyable. If the results are decent, the RX350 would be pretty close to being perfect for me

Kan-O-Z
Old 11-01-06, 02:45 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ML500 is faster than the Range Rover Sport, and the RRS is more powerful than the ML500. The braking and driving dynamics are also superior to that of the RRS.

Regarding the ML350 to RX350, I'm leaning a little towards the RX350 because of the fuel economy, but now that the new ML320 CDI is out, I'm leaning a little more toward that now.
Old 11-01-06, 03:02 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
I am considering a little bit of a stiffer spring. I think TTE (Team Toyota Europe) may be a good way to go for $299. It's made to work with stock struts. I'm hoping this tightens up the handling just enough to be more confident and enjoyable. If the results are decent, the RX350 would be pretty close to being perfect for me

Kan-O-Z
Sounds like an interesting idea. If you decide to upgrade your springs, please let me know how that works out.
Old 11-03-06, 08:15 PM
RMB350
Driver

I agree that this really isn't the place to ask that question.. The RX rides more like a car which is a huge hit for the ladies and to be honest, I fold the seats down quite a bit and haul all kinds of stuff.. It's so easy to do too. The shifting is smooth and quick and there are so many creature comforts the we could start a thread on just those alone.
Personally, I wouldn't even look at a benz or a rover given their reliability reputations and their price tags.. BMW is even worse! Don't dog me, this is what I've read and what I'm told and I do listen to people....just like I do here.
If you're looking for a comparison, check out an MDX. Again, just my opinion.
Also, as for MPG's, I'm averaging 19.5 in the city and just over 25 hwy.

Good luck and don't forget to tell us how you like your new RX350!!

Ron..