RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Which one? RX or ML
RX 350
88.89%
ML 350
11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

RX350 or ML350????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 11:19 AM
sea60
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 or ML350????

I’m trying to decide between the 2007 RX350 and Mercedes ML350. Has anyone compared the two models?

Thank you
Old 10-28-06, 11:26 AM
LexFather

I added a poll. Understand of course we will say get the Lexus and a Benz forum will say get the ML.
I actually like how both cars look. I went to the ML driving event and to me its ponderous and the interior is nice but nothing special. The ML 500 IMO pulled much harder.
The RX 350 pulls very hard as it is. The interior is top notch. And Benz quality is just not what it used to be.
RX is built in Japan and Canada. ML is built in Alabama.

Good luck
Old 10-28-06, 01:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to vote for RX350. If the poll were last year with the RX330 and ML350 I'd say it would be much harder for me to decide and might even pick the ML, but the 3.5L engine in the RX350 is just so much improved over the RX330 IMHO.
Old 10-28-06, 01:20 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i believe that a lot of current MB owners will even tell you to stay away from the ML

it is a domestic car (made in USA) and the reliability has been one of the worst
Old 10-28-06, 02:30 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by sea60
I’m trying to decide between the 2007 RX350 and Mercedes ML350. Has anyone compared the two models?

Thank you
Back in March I came very, VERY close to buying an ML350. When I saw and drove the RX350 right after it came out...I considered it no contest. What pushed me toward the RX350:

1) Lexus engine upgrade in the RX350.
2) 5th generation Navigation / Audio system in the RX350. Simply put, the nav system in the ML350 is AWFUL! When you compare the intuitive touch screen and high resolution of the RX to the funky dynamic hard button setup of the ML.....ouch.
3) Wierd shifter in the ML. Seems like Mercedes is always trying to push car buyers to a different way of driving...the funky shifter on the steering column is easily confused with the turn signal.

I did like the Satellite and iPod factory integration in the ML350, and the sales experience at Mercedes was better than mine at Lexus (Sacramento). But overall the RX350 was a better choice for me....and I have been nothing but pleased with my selection.

Good luck!

--Scott
Old 10-28-06, 03:19 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i believe that a lot of current MB owners will even tell you to stay away from the ML

it is a domestic car (made in USA) and the reliability has been one of the worst
My last vehicle was a '02 ML. Yes, there were reliablity issues, but I can honestly say it was never anything major. I had an indicator light that came off and off, a heated seat went bad, a couple recall items, etc. Most everything that ever went wrong was paid for under warranty without any problems. My ML had free maintenance for the first 50K miles, but I don't know if they still offer that. MB was very generous with providing loaner cars, I always had one no matter how long it took to service my ML.

I will tell you the service at the MB dealer was always excellent. I have been to the Lexus dealer one time recently and I waited longer in that one visit than I did in 5 years combined with MB. My local MB dealer would have me in a loaner car within mintues of arrival, no matter how long the service was scheduled for. I waited an hour and a half for service at my Lexus dealer the other day. I hope that is not the way it is going to be in the future.

The ML and the RX are very different vehicles, so I would say drive one and make up your own mind.
Old 10-28-06, 09:17 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2007 Mdx, Sh-awd.
Old 10-28-06, 09:50 PM
lx350
Driver School Candidate

rx350 is the best
Old 10-28-06, 09:58 PM
Bongos
Rookie

test drive, test drive, test drive!!! it made me go with the RX350
Old 10-28-06, 10:18 PM
sea60
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the ML and plan on driving the RX next week.
I’m having a problem finding a dealership that will permit a
test drive under the conditions I normally drive i.e. freeways through mountains and steep grades. They expect me to buy a car driving around the block a few times. All declined my request to test drive a demo for a day. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Old 10-29-06, 03:36 AM
navilexus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in June of 2006, me and my wife went and test drive an ML350, right of the bat we found two problem already during the test drive. (1) Rain Senor, there's no rain but the wiper keep wiping, the tech have to unplug the battery. (2) I went onto the hight way, immediately I am having a difficulty down shift from six speed to five, four and so on. Knowing there are 7 speed on the ML350, but I didn't made to 7 speed.

than we went to IRA Lexus, immediately, my wife think the RX330 is a perfect fit and she like every thing on the RX and because she's small. At the same time the salesman said they just have some RX350. So she's decided to go with the RX350. That's the best decision made my wife.
Old 10-29-06, 09:14 AM
sea60
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks and a few more questions

Thanks everyone!

A few more questions, Do you find the rear seat large enough to seat three adults comfortably and does the A/C cool the rear passenger area satisfactorily?
Has anyone had an occasion to drive the RX350 on snow or ice?

I hope to test drive an RX next week.
Old 10-30-06, 05:42 AM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by sea60
I test drove the ML and plan on driving the RX next week.
I’m having a problem finding a dealership that will permit a
test drive under the conditions I normally drive i.e. freeways through mountains and steep grades. They expect me to buy a car driving around the block a few times. All declined my request to test drive a demo for a day. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
I have never asked to test drive a car that long. However, I do have a friend that has rented a car for the weekend to get a better feel for it.
Old 10-30-06, 09:02 AM
sea60
Driver School Candidate

JorgeGVB

I thought of that but unable to find a rental agency with 2007 RX350’s or ML.
Do you find the rear seat large enough to seat three adults comfortably and does the A/C cool the rear passenger area satisfactorily?
Thanks
Old 10-30-06, 11:01 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

My wife and I just bought the RX 350 and we are very happy with it. We test drove the X5 and Cayenne and FX. We didn't however drive the ML350. Here are the advantages of the RX compared to most competitors.

-Interior is larger than most competitors (85 cu. ft of cargo with seats folded) is the largest of the group.
-Interior is more luxurious with more advanced features than most competitors (Touch Screen Navigation, Rear backup camera, Voice Recognition, Hands-Free Blue Tooth) almost anything you can think of is there. There is even a handy power rear liftgate to open/close automatically
-Most powerful V6 engine. The 3.5L, 270hp is one of the most powerful in the class. The FX 35 is rated 280hp but remember that is not rated on the new SAE standards.
-Most fuel efficient engine. Despite having the most power, this engine can attain nearly 25mpg on the highway!
-Low Curb weight. Being about 500lbs to 1000lbs lighter than the competion means better acceleration and fuel economy. It shows! The RX 350 can out accelerate the ML500 V8!!
-Best Reliability. I think no one will argue here that the Lexus is best in class.
-Best Ride and Most Quiet in class

The rear leg room and AC are no problem at all! What the ML does have is that it is more like a truck. If you want to do some serious off-roading (which 99% will never do), you may want to consider. If not, the RX is great.

Kan-O-Z

Quick Reply: RX350 or ML350????