RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 08:40 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Springs?

I am considering lowering the RX350 just slightly to increase the handling and enhance the look. I have done a little bit of research and have found the following springs - TTE, Eibach, H&R.

I am only looking to lower it by 1-1.5 inches, enhance the handling but nothing too aggressive while still maintaining a good ride. I feel the RX 350 is just about perfect but it could use a slight increase with the handling.

Here are my questions:

1. What are your recommendations or experiences? Please feel free to talk about products other than the ones mentioned above.

2. Will some of these springs work with stock struts. I read somewhere the TTE is good with stock struts. This doesn't make sense to me as struts and springs always have to be matched to each. Usually you can't just throw any spring on any strut and expect good results.

3. If different struts are needed then what are your recommendations? Are there coil overs available on the market?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Kan-O-Z
Old 10-29-06, 09:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Eibach and while it provides a good ride I don't think it lowered enough. At first glance you can't even tell unless you look at a stock RX. The TTE lowers the least I believe. I would choose the H&R if I had to do it again. In fact that is the springs I originally ordered from Tire Rack, but for some reason they sent me the Eibach's instead so I just used them. I believe the Japanese market does have adjustable coil overs, but none have reached the US yet that I know of. I believe all the 3 mentioned above will work well with stock shocks. I have nearly 60K miles on my car (Lowered at about 40K) and it appears the shocks are still holding up.

If you have some extra cash, you could to with aftermarket air suspension like Airrunner. It is a quality kit that allows you to fully adjust the suspension. Depending on exactly what parts you install, you can also get electronic valves and hook that up to an air ride controller. Anyway, that system could run you about $5K before installation, but installation is a bolt in and the rest of the labor would be routing of the air and electic lines.
Old 10-30-06, 06:51 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Thanks for the info CK6Speed. I actually don't want to lower it too much nor do I want to stiffen it up too much. I think 1" drop with a slightly firmer ride and better handling is what I am looking for. TTE (Team Toyota Europe) may be the way to go.

Any others out there with more info or experiences? Thanks,

Kan-O-Z
Old 10-30-06, 06:24 PM
sharpener
Driver

im using TRD shocks n springs, it lowered to abt 35mm, abt an 1" more