RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 Lexus Rx350 - New Rotors Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 01:46 PM
elicel24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus Rx350 - 30 Miles

Gentlemen:
I would certainly appreciate it very much your informing me the following:
WHY MY BRAND NEW LEXUS AS SHOWN ABOVE (30 MILES ONLY) WAS VIBRATING TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY CHANGED THE ROTORS, WHY?
IS THAT USUAL? SHOULD I PUT PRESSURE ON THEM TO CHANGE TO CAR?
PLS. I AM DESPERATE!
I JUST REGISTERED ON YOUR CLUB BUT COULD NOT FIND ANY ANSWER.
I BEG YOU TO GIVE ME INSTRUCTIONS TO HOW HANDLE THIS SITUATION.
CORDIALLY,
ELISA L. CISNEROS
ID at the club: elicel24
Old 10-29-06, 10:41 PM
elicel24
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 Lexus Rx350 - New Rotors Needed?

Gentlemen:
I would certainly appreciate it very much for your informing me the following:
WHY MY BRAND NEW LEXUS AS SHON ABOVE (30 MILES ONLY) WAS VIBRATING TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY CHANGED THE ROTORS, WHY?
IS THAT USUAL? SHOULD I PUT PRESSURE ON THEM TO CHANGE TO CAR?
PLS. I AM DESPERATE!
I JUST REGISTERED ON YOUR CLUB BUT COULD NOT FIND ANY ANSWER.
I BEG YOU TO GIVE ME INSTRUCTIONS TO HOW HANDLE THIS SITUATION.
CORDIALLY,
ELISA L. CISNEROS
ID at the club: elicel24
Old 10-29-06, 11:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I follow you. However, if you are saying that when you brake you felt a vibration in the steering wheel, thus took it back to the dealer where they changed the rotors to try and fix the problem, I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless you are saying that changing the rotors did NOT fix the problem? Anyway, the reason why they change brake rotors is because often rotors warp and that causes vibration while braking. This is nothing serious. It can happen at anytime due to different reasons. Most often is simple overtightening the lug nuts. Other reasons could be the owner non properly braking in the brake pads. That said, if changing the rotors fixed the problem I don't see any reason why you should get a new car.
Old 10-30-06, 05:46 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The newer rotors may be manufactured differently.
Old 10-30-06, 06:05 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

I think you said your RX only had 30 miles when it began vibrating when you applied the brakes. Typically, after much use, the rotors get warped because of constant heat and fast cooling. However, if this occurred only after 30 miles, I would think it was a manufacturing defect with your particular brakes/rotors.

This is not a common RX issue, or you would have found more owners posting about it. Sorry to hear it has happened to you, but it seems your dealer is taking corrective actions.
Old 10-30-06, 06:34 AM
skeet94
Driver

If you don't break in the new pads on a new car you will leave a uneven layer of pad material on the rotor which will in turn cause vibrations. Best thing to do in these cases is to see brake hard (not emergency brake hard) from 70mph a few times after the pad/rotor has been warmed up then if the problem still persists replace the rotor.
Old 10-30-06, 06:38 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Please tell us more about when do you feel the vibration and what is it coming from? Steering wheel vibration when braking or at highway speed? Can you post the work description on the dealer work order? Is the problem still exist after the replacement?
Old 10-31-06, 02:29 PM
elicel24
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx350 - Rotors

I Addressed Myself To Rx350 Forum Regarding The Rotors Of My Brand New Car; The Dealer Told Me That They Replaced It And Now They Tell Me That They Put It In The Machine, Should I Accept The Car Without Ne Rotors?
Pls. Let Me Know, Because You Are The Only Ones That I Really Trust.
(the Car Had Only 30 Miles When I Took It To The Dealer For Service)
B/rgds,
Elisa L. Cisneros
Old 10-31-06, 03:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elicel24
I Addressed Myself To Rx350 Forum Regarding The Rotors Of My Brand New Car; The Dealer Told Me That They Replaced It And Now They Tell Me That They Put It In The Machine, Should I Accept The Car Without Ne Rotors?
Pls. Let Me Know, Because You Are The Only Ones That I Really Trust.
(the Car Had Only 30 Miles When I Took It To The Dealer For Service)
B/rgds,
Elisa L. Cisneros
Persoanlly, because it is a brand new car I wouldn't accept anything less than new rotors. I responded to your other topic by saying replacing the rotors was no bid deal, but resurfacing (What they are doing when you state they put it in the machine) is not acceptable because what is going on is they are removing material to make the surface of the rotor flat and true again. Anytime you remove material you are making it thinner, thus reducing its mass and reducing its cooling efficiency. I would bet that for a few weeks, even months it will be okay then the problem will return. I personally never resurface rotors and simply replace them myself. Usually my rotors never warp and last well past 50K miles. At that time I just replace them with new ones since it is cheap. Resurfacing IMHO just buys you a little time before you have to replace them anyway.
Old 10-31-06, 03:52 PM
salimshah

Received 1,083 Likes on 975 Posts

I totally agree with ck6speed.

Although by machining the rotors the shop has brought it back to specs, but they have removed material and have made impact on future repairs. One can take so much off before new rotors are needed. Once material is removed, the warpage happens more quickly.

If I was in your shoes, I would insist on getting new rotors and swap them myself (save the dealer labor ... only because I can do it myself).

You may opt for 100,000 miles free rotor replacement gaurantee in writing by the dealer in case they insist that what they have done in no way harms or reduces life of the rotor. [60,000 miles may be good enough too]

If proper care is taken, I have replaced pads twice and never machined or replaced the rotors and have about 120,000 miles on my RX.

Salim
ps: Just like ck6speed, I myself would replace rotors, instead of machining them down, when they get warped or pitted.

PPS: Also if you could elaborate on putting on a machine, it would be nice. And what was the dealership trying to fix? Did you exercise care in braking as new pads have to be conditioned?

Last edited by salimshah; 10-31-06 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 05:15 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I would not accept turned rotors on a car with 30 miles on it either. The reason... rotors are very thin these days. They can only be safely turned down like once. This means that next time you need to replace pads, you may have to replace the rotors rather than just having them turned. Rotors have gotten much less expensive in the last few years but the point is that you just lost the ability to have the rotors turned in the future. This is not the type of service one would associate with Lexus and I'd let them know it falls short.
Old 11-01-06, 06:27 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The rotors are manufactured with a tolerance to be lightly machined only a time or two to correct a few thousandths of an inch of lateral runout. As Jim and Salim have said, turning the rotors at only 30 miles is NOT a proper repair, even if it is effective. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out on the older 330 model that requires the rotors to be replaced, rather than turned. I had mine replaced by the dealer at 30K under warranty with no complaints.

The warped rotors seem to be caused by overtorquing the lug nuts - possibly at the factory, but usually by a mechanic rotating (or even checking the nuts for torque) with something other than a torque wrench (usually an impact tool). IMHO this should be a capital offense.

If you believe your dealer is not responding properly, call Lexus Customer Service at the number on their website:

Phone: 1-800-255-3987
Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., PT
Saturday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., PT
Fax: 1-310-468-2992

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-01-06 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-01-08, 08:36 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you brek in new breal pads..thanks
Old 04-01-08, 10:22 AM
Boognish
Driver

One of my front rotors had a huge scratch on it when new, but there is no vibration and the brake system seems to be working as designed. I had the dealer put that in writing, to cover myself down the road if necessary. My guess is that Lexus (as do many companies with their USDM products) cut corners with the brake rotors they use.

Originally Posted by shikbas
How do you brek in new breal pads..thanks
Many manufacturers simply recommend braking gently for the first 300-400 miles. This is what my Lexus dealer told me to do, and it is how we "beded in" our brakes. I find the overall brake feel to be very soft and not confidence inspiring on my RX350, but I am used to driving much lighter vehicles with similar sized brakes, performance brake lines and street pads bedded in per the instructions found on this link:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

FWIW, you can perform this "bed in" procedure any time during the brakes life. For optimal results, it should be done when new, but I have done this on older vehicles with a slight vibration with decent results. The trick is finding a safe place to do it, where you can make repeated hard stops and adequately allow the brakes time to cool. A closed track is the best, yet almost never practical to the average Joe on the street.

Here's some interesting theory: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

Originally Posted by TripleDES
Typically, after much use, the rotors get warped because of constant heat and fast cooling.
See myth #1.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 04-01-08, 10:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

ELISA, ask your dealer for a new set of rotors. tell them you paid for a new car with new rotors, not resurfaced rotors. BTW, how many miles did the car have when you took delivery? Is it possible that it was test driven and someone tested the limit of those brakes?

Quick Reply: 2007 Lexus Rx350 - New Rotors Needed?