RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

07 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 10:09 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
You'll be back.
When we had to buy a car, the choice was RX300 vs MDX. We have no regrets in getting the MDX. When the RX330 came out, even though it was the new model, we reevaluated and was happy with the decision to stay with the MDX.

If we had to make the choice today between the 2nd gen MDX and RX350, I can be pretty confident it will still be an MDX. Different people have different wants and needs. The RX just does not do it for every one.

I love Lexus cars but I think they are missing a larger "car-like" SUV. The RX is too small. The GX is more of a truck. Both vehicles are nice but just do not fit the bill for some families.
Old 11-02-06, 10:44 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
When we had to buy a car, the choice was RX300 vs MDX. We have no regrets in getting the MDX. When the RX330 came out, even though it was the new model, we reevaluated and was happy with the decision to stay with the MDX.

If we had to make the choice today between the 2nd gen MDX and RX350, I can be pretty confident it will still be an MDX. Different people have different wants and needs. The RX just does not do it for every one.

I love Lexus cars but I think they are missing a larger "car-like" SUV. The RX is too small. The GX is more of a truck. Both vehicles are nice but just do not fit the bill for some families.
The MDX is nice and it's good you don't have regrets. My only comment is people here are constantly saying the RX is small. I'm sorry to tell all you guys that the RX and MDX are direct competitors and are the SAME SIZE. Go look at the interior dimensions of both and you'll be surprised. If anything, the RX has 2 more cubic feet of interior space. The MDX looks bulkier so ppl assume it's bigger. Eyes can be decieving.
The MDX is good for those with small children(less than 10 years old but old enough for a real seat). In this situation and only in this situation, the 3rd row seat can be useful. Otherwise it's useless to have that 3rd row seat. It's not good for anyone above 5 ft tall (like the rear seats of a small coupe). It also adds lots of weight - lowering fuel economy and performance and takes up space even folded down.
If Lexus really wanted to add that 3rd row in the RX then they would have. Remember that the Highlander shares the same platform with the RX and it does have 3 rows.
To me, the third row thing has just become something ppl feel they can brag about but really it's mostly useless...unless you have lots of children between 4 years old and 10 years old.

Kan-O-Z
Old 11-02-06, 11:35 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
My only comment is people here are constantly saying the RX is small. I'm sorry to tell all you guys that the RX and MDX are direct competitors and are the SAME SIZE. Go look at the interior dimensions of both and you'll be surprised. If anything, the RX has 2 more cubic feet of interior space. The MDX looks bulkier so ppl assume it's bigger. Eyes can be decieving.
The MDX is good for those with small children(less than 10 years old but old enough for a real seat). In this situation and only in this situation, the 3rd row seat can be useful. Otherwise it's useless to have that 3rd row seat. It's not good for anyone above 5 ft tall (like the rear seats of a small coupe). It also adds lots of weight - lowering fuel economy and performance and takes up space even folded down.
If Lexus really wanted to add that 3rd row in the RX then they would have. Remember that the Highlander shares the same platform with the RX and it does have 3 rows.
To me, the third row thing has just become something ppl feel they can brag about but really it's mostly useless...unless you have lots of children between 4 years old and 10 years old.

Kan-O-Z
I concede that I have not brought a tape measure to the dealerships to measure the interior cargo dimensions. The cubic values are pretty similar. I guess I assumed that the MDX being wider, a little of that translates into the interior width. Sometimes an extra inch makes a difference in carrying something wide home. Whether or not this is true, I cannot say at this point.

I will disagree with you about the 3rd row seats. We do not use it everyday but we do use it. I've had adults ranging from 5' 2" to 6' in the third row seats. For the larger adults, I agree that a long trip makes no sense. We have used it, however, for quick 15 minutes drives to go out to lunch. There have also been occasions where we went about a hour. Having that third row has saved the issue of driving 2 vs 1 car. This saves gas, coordination and to some extent, wear and tear on a second car.

The Highlander 3rd row seats were an afterthought. They were retrofitted into a vehicle that did not have them in the original design. They were put in to make the car comparable to offerings that do have them. Obviously, experiences will vary but accounts I've read and heard about the Highlander 3rd row seats have been very negative. On the other hand, the ones from the MDX (including my personal experience) have been favorable.

The third row seats were a definite factor in our choice of the MDX as it fits our needs well. The Navi lockout (or lack thereof) in the MDX is also a plus. My wife also liked the looks of the MDX better than the Lexus offerings. Of course, this is personal taste so there is no right or wrong here.
Old 11-02-06, 01:35 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus/Acura Interior Room Measurements: 07 MDX vs 07 RX350

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
The MDX is nice and it's good you don't have regrets. My only comment is people here are constantly saying the RX is small. I'm sorry to tell all you guys that the RX and MDX are direct competitors and are the SAME SIZE. Go look at the interior dimensions of both and you'll be surprised. If anything, the RX has 2 more cubic feet of interior space. The MDX looks bulkier so ppl assume it's bigger. Eyes can be decieving.
Kan-O-Z
According to Acura and Lexus official interior room measurements, 2007 Acura MDX has

1) ~3" more shoulder room for both front and 2nd rows
2) 2" more 2nd row legroom
3) same front head room
4) 0.4" less 2nd row head room
5) 1.3" less front row legroom
when compared to 2007 Lexus RX350

For 3rd row, Acura MDX has more room than GX 470 in every single measurement, especially 4.2" more legroom.

2007 Lexus RX350
http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/detai...fications.html

Headroom, Front (in) 39.4
Headroom, Rear (in) 38.6
Legroom, Front (in) 42.5
Legroom, Rear (in) 36.4
Shoulder Room, Front (in) 57.9
Shoulder Room, Rear (in) 57.1

3rd row: N/A

2007 Acura MDX
http://www.acura.com/

Headroom, Front (in) 39.2
Headroom, 2nd (in) 38.2
Legroom, Front (in) 41.2
Legroom, 2nd (in) 38.7
Shoulder Room, Front (in) 61.6
Shoulder Room, 2nd (in) 61.5

3rd Row of MDX can not be compared with RX350, it should be compared with 2007 Lexus GX 470
http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/detai...fications.html

Headroom, Third Row (in) 36.5
Legroom, Third Row (in) 24.9
Shoulder Room, Third Row (in) 56.7

2007 Acura MDX
Headroom, 3rd(in) 37.4
Legroom, 3rd (in) 29.1
Shoulder Room, 3rd (in) 57.1

Last edited by TunedRX300; 11-02-06 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-02-06, 08:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I have heard a few other people also mention to me on the net that the MDX is roomier than the 2007 RX, but when I asked them about power differences, they couldn't make a judgment on that one.
Old 11-02-06, 08:45 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

According to TunedRX300 post of official measurements, they seem pretty close in interior size. A few measurements are greater in one and a few measurements are greater in the other so I would call it a tie or close enough.

Here is one more measurement:

2007 Lexus RX350
Cargo Room with second row folded: 84.7 cu. ft.

2007 Acura MDX
Cargo Room with second and third row folded: 83.5 cu. ft.

RX350 has 1.2 more cubic feet of interior space when everything is folded. I still stand by what I said, they are very close in interior size. Now it's just a matter of if you want that 3rd row seats. Don't forget you do pay for that 3rd row of seats in terms of 500lbs added weight and about 2-3mpg worse fuel economy on the MDX. There are always trade-offs in life I never pictured myself using that 3rd row and wanted the extra luxury feel that the RX 350 offered so our choice became easy. To top it off, for some reason my wife never warmed up to the bulky styling/feel of the MDX, especially the tranformer looking grill. That being said, the MDX is a very nice ride and some people would definitely prefer it over the RX.

The RX could use a bit stiffening up on the handling and I am working on that with our RX now

Kan-O-Z
Old 11-05-06, 10:41 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

I doubt anyone folds down the rear seat in daily usage. Maximum cargo space only makes sense when one is moving or picking up large items at Ikea. If one really needs that 1.2 cu. ft, which is the size of 4 rolls of paper towels, just tilt the front seat forward by 10 degrees.
That 3rd row of seat weight ~200 lbs alone, remember we have to compare equitable features. RX does not a 3rd row seat so it naturally enjoys the weight saving.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 11-05-06 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 06:37 AM
charlesh
Driver School Candidate

Default MDX vs. RX350

Both MDX and RX350 are good cars, but RX350 is much more luxury than MDX. You can get a 2006 MDX with price $4000 below invoice now, but you can not get RX350 below invoice. MDX has $3000 market supporting (market supporting started from at least last year) like most other unpupolar cars but none from Luxus (never), which suggests their difference.

What makes me walk away from MDX is its interior - PLASTIC like leather and SIMULATED wood, which makes the car looks VERY CHEAPER compared to the price you paid. I did seriously consider (test drive/went to the dealer few times to look at the color and interior) MDX because it is more than $5000cheaper than RX350 with similar features.

I do not know how much more it will cost the manufacture to replace the cheaper leather with fine ones (the 2007 Honda CR-V has much better leather but still not as good as those in luxus). A few hundred $$ more with fine leather and real wood will make huge difference for MDX sales.
Old 11-08-06, 07:38 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I doubt anyone folds down the rear seat in daily usage. Maximum cargo space only makes sense when one is moving or picking up large items at Ikea. If one really needs that 1.2 cu. ft, which is the size of 4 rolls of paper towels, just tilt the front seat forward by 10 degrees.
That 3rd row of seat weight ~200 lbs alone, remember we have to compare equitable features. RX does not a 3rd row seat so it naturally enjoys the weight saving.
By the same token, I doubt anyone uses the 3rd row seat in daily usage because the first two rows are completely used up. This means that you must be carrying more than 5 passengers very often. The only way I could see this happening is if you have lots of kids(more than 3) plus a spouse...and if this is the case, you're better off in a mini-van than any SUV with a 3rd row.

The only reason I brought up the cargo room is because I just wanted to prove that the RX is on par with the MDX in interior space. There are too many people that 'feel' that the MDX is larger than the RX and it's not.

I guess it's what matters to you most. No right and wrong here. To me I'd rather take the better fuel economy, 500lbs lighter weight and more luxury over a useless 3rd row (in our case anyway).

Kan-O-Z
Old 11-08-06, 07:59 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by charlesh
Both MDX and RX350 are good cars, but RX350 is much more luxury than MDX. You can get a 2006 MDX with price $4000 below invoice now, but you can not get RX350 below invoice. MDX has $3000 market supporting (market supporting started from at least last year) like most other unpupolar cars but none from Luxus (never), which suggests their difference.

What makes me walk away from MDX is its interior - PLASTIC like leather and SIMULATED wood, which makes the car looks VERY CHEAPER compared to the price you paid. I did seriously consider (test drive/went to the dealer few times to look at the color and interior) MDX because it is more than $5000cheaper than RX350 with similar features.

I do not know how much more it will cost the manufacture to replace the cheaper leather with fine ones (the 2007 Honda CR-V has much better leather but still not as good as those in luxus). A few hundred $$ more with fine leather and real wood will make huge difference for MDX sales.
check out this thread, are you sure 100% of RX350 are real wood?
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=22253
Old 11-08-06, 08:40 AM
charlesh
Driver School Candidate

check out this thread, are you sure 100% of RX350 are real wood?
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=22253
No conclusion from these arguments.

Here is what the RX350 car descriptions says:
Wood/Leather steering wheel and shift ****
Genuine wood interior trim

In MDX car description it says "simulated wood"

I do not expect that Luxus will give worng information, if that is the case you might be get a free one (ask a lawyer to do the job for you)
Old 11-08-06, 09:41 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

No conclusion from these arguments.

Here is what the RX350 car descriptions says:
Wood/Leather steering wheel and shift ****
Genuine wood interior trim

In MDX car description it says "simulated wood"

I do not expect that Luxus will give worng information, if that is the case you might be get a free one (ask a lawyer to do the job for you)
No need to hire an lawyer, Lexus removed the word "Genuine" from RX350 web page.

Interior Features
Dash Trim Golden bird's-eye maple or walnut
Center Console Trim Golden bird's-eye maple or walnut
Door Trim Wood and leather
Seat Trim Fabric Leather Optional
Steering-Wheel Trim Wood and leather
Shift **** Trim Wood and leather

Also the thread starter wanted to discuss 2007 Acura MDX, have you check out the leather on the re-designed MDX, especially perforated leather in Sports Package?
Old 11-08-06, 10:14 AM
charlesh
Driver School Candidate

No need to hire an lawyer, Lexus removed the word "Genuine" from RX350 web page.

Interior Features

Also the thread starter wanted to discuss 2007 Acura MDX, have you check out the leather on the re-designed MDX, especially perforated leather in Sports Package?
I can not see what is the difference? The descriptions are still wood but not simulated wood. It means WOOD.

No I did not test drive the 2007 MDX, since I am not going to buy it. As I mentioned that Acura should improve the interior quality which will not cost them too much. I am glad they did for the new model.
Old 11-08-06, 10:25 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Interior Features

It may be true that's it's not 'real' wood, but I'll tell you what, it sure feels and looks like it. That's good enough for most. The point is, you can argue over one specific thing or another but I think most will agree that overall, the Lexus is going to be more luxurious than the Acura. It may the feel of the materials, leather, etc. It may be in the interior and exterior fit and finish. It may be in the smoothness of the engine, switches, doors or any other parts that operates or moves. It may be in the sound insulation and quietness of the vehicle. It may be in the nice ride of the vehicle. In the luxury department, I don't think any other Japanese manufacturer can top Lexus or ever has. Lexus has brought about a name for itself that is recognized highly. I can't say the same for Acura. I have never heard anyone say 'wow you drive an Acura', but I have heard people say 'wow you drive a Lexus'.

I will give the handling edge to the MDX. The acceleration will be the same in both vehicles. Now if I can just tighten up the handling just a bit on our RX350, it should be just about perfect for us

Kan-O-Z
Old 11-08-06, 10:34 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

I can not see what is the difference? The descriptions are still wood but not simulated wood. It means WOOD.

No I did not test drive the 2007 MDX, since I am not going to buy it. As I mentioned that Acura should improve the interior quality which will not cost them too much. I am glad they did for the new model.
The difference is the word "Genuine", when added in front of the word wood, Lexus must use real wood; when it is not, any wood - including simulated wood - is OK.

My friend, check out Toyota Camry's interior trim description and Google around you will find Camry's interior wood trim are simulated yet Toyota posted similiar description "Wood-grain-style", and does not deceive customers.
http://www.toyota.com/camry/models.html

I think at the end it is a personal choice in term of specific features and models, but to compare things objectively, don't take automakers' claim at face value. Trust but verify.

Quick Reply: 07 Acura MDX