RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

07 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 01:57 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 07 Acura MDX

Hey all,

My family have been a lexus owner for a decade now and we have owned both the RX300 and RX330, but we want to try something that is new. I just wanted your opinion of the all new next generation 2007 Acura MDX. I drove it today and it was amazing! I just have to pay more money for it with tech package and entertainment package. Lease is up to 750 a month for 22k a year. Let me know! Thanks!
Old 10-30-06, 02:06 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Hey all,

My family have been a lexus owner for a decade now and we have owned both the RX300 and RX330, but we want to try something that is new. I just wanted your opinion of the all new next generation 2007 Acura MDX. I drove it today and it was amazing! I just have to pay more money for it with tech package and entertainment package. Lease is up to 750 a month for 22k a year. Let me know! Thanks!
I don't think you can go wrong with either the new MDX or RX350. Both are good cars. The MDX IMHO has better performance though. So far the MDX has got nothing but good reviews from what I've read so far.
Old 10-30-06, 02:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

MDX is about the size of the GX so more appropriately a comparison for it. Supposedly the sport package drives amazing despite it being an SUV, the brochure for the MDX claims .85 lateral g. Doesnt have the torque or towing of a GX but it will handle and drive much better
Old 10-30-06, 02:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I don't think you can go wrong with either the new MDX or RX350. Both are good cars. The MDX IMHO has better performance though. So far the MDX has got nothing but good reviews from what I've read so far.
I agree.
As for lease rates, seems thus far Acura dealers are being very greedy with this new SUV....This is the 3rd time I've read $750 for a lease on this truck.
Old 10-30-06, 02:28 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't second guessed my purchase of the RX350 at all. However, if the MDX was released say, 6 months ago, it would have been something I'd definitely consider purchasing around this time.

The new design takes a little time to getting used to, but I'm sure it would grow on anyone. The only problem right now is you'll be paying full MSRP, if not a couple thousand above MSRP. The RDX is now finally starting to come down to MSRP.

If you don't mind paying the premium, I would say test drive them both and decide. I am a long time Acura/Honda owner so I can tell you this. You won't get the same luxury treatement with Acura as you do with Lexus especially with service. However, Acura still charges the luxury prices for services. This is my experience at least with Southern California Acura dealers as opposed to Lexus.

If you decide on the MDX and in no hurry, you should wait until pricing becomes competitive a few months from now.
Old 10-30-06, 02:37 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 06 GX470 and last week I took a test ride (had time to kill) in the 07 MDX. I don't see where the claimed 300 HP is since it felt sluggish at speeds below 60 mph. My GX is certainly faster below 60 mph due no doubt to the torque of the V8. The MDX starts pulling nicely above 5000 rpm's, but by then one would forget why they have the pedal to the floor. So I guess its a typical peaky Honda engine. Also I didn't care for the intake and exhaust noise as the rpm's got above 3500 rpm's. But you may like it. I tried out the Bose stereo (lacking in bass) and I like the ML system in the GX better. I also don't like the gray colored panels that are apllied to the front and rear bumperson the MDX. Gives the vehicle an econo box look. No doubt on a gray colored MDX, they wouldn't stick out as much. The MDX I thought also rode kind of hard, but that is no doubt a Honda trait. It handled ok, but again, its a heavy crossover vehicle, so its not going to handle like a car. Things I did like on the MDX. Dual exhaust outlets even though in reality, its a single exhaust with a y pipe, but so are many of the vehicles on the road today. And they still have the darker band of tint across the top of the front windshield which I like. Seems like almost every other manufacturer (including Mercedes, BMW and so on) is saving a few pennies on each windshield by eliminating the tint band. So I'll be keeping my GX which I'm very happy with. Well, that is no doubt until the redesigned GX comes out for the 2009 model year.
Old 10-30-06, 02:59 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

I think the handling will be better on the new MDX than the RX but the acceleration won't. It's 500lbs heavier than the RX350. Yes it has about 30 more hp but it has to pull an extra 500lbs so it probably ends up being pretty close in acceleration.

Also, it's a misconception that it's bigger. Yes it does have a 3rd row seat but that's only good if you have many kids. It's not made for adults to sit back there. Cargo capacity with the seats folded down is about the same as the RX.

I think it'll be a trade off as far as ride. Lexus is probably more luxurious, MDX is probably more sporty.

Manish
Old 10-30-06, 03:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

look at the interior dimensions for both the MDX and GX they are very similar, therefore bigger than the RX

MDX 0-60: ~7.5
GX 0-60: 8.1
Old 10-30-06, 06:47 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, you guys are very impressive in terms of your response and opinions. I have to agree with all of you on all aspects. The MDX is a wonderful SUV but different than the RX330/350. The lease is high but I am buying (financing) since I do 25,000 miles a year. Also I dislike the front and rear grey panels but the grey color would go nicely with it. As for the acceleration, it felt ok but it was pretty smooth and gave power when needed. Hopefully it will improve when the car breaks in. The interior is so sumptuous and filled with techno goodies. The handling at 40mph on the ramp to I75 was suberb if not better than my Lexus GS300 AWD. The navigation with the real life traffic info is excellent. I will walk in and get the car this Thursday. Thank you everyone!! I do miss the RX a bit, but its time for a change in the family.
Old 10-30-06, 09:20 PM
d6500k
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the 07 MDX today. The ride is smoother but the claimed 300hp doesn't seem to feel it at the pedal. I am driving the 01 MDX and am deciding between the 07 MDX and the 07 RX350. They are about the same price (MDX with the tech package and 350 with the premium package).

The new MDX have a lot of tech stuff. Like power distribution graph between each wheels when you are driving. Voice regonication GPS and backup camera is cool too. The turning radius of the car is quite amzing for its size. The interior had some major upgrade towards the old style. The front remind me of transformer though. The MDX feels heavy than the old one (maybe the demo is not break in, only have 700km on it). The RX350 feels much lighter and responsive than the MDX.
Old 10-30-06, 10:53 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
look at the interior dimensions for both the MDX and GX they are very similar, therefore bigger than the RX

MDX 0-60: ~7.5
GX 0-60: 8.1
I agree. Let's use the clock as the most scientific and accurate measurement of performance.
Also one can't focus on peak HP or torque too much since no car can drive around, let alone accelerate at one RPM.
Old 10-30-06, 11:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The MDX doesn't feel like it has 300hp because the it weighs 4500-4600lbs. The GX470 weighs 4900lbs, but it also makes peak torque (323ftlb) at 3400RPM while the MDX makes peak torque (275ftlb) at 5000 RPM (GX has ~50ftlb in advantage).

It's made to compete with the RX and by the looks of it, it's beating the RX350 in most categories.
Old 10-31-06, 02:53 PM
BobsGX
Racer

[QUOTE=GSteg;2213190]The MDX doesn't feel like it has 300hp because the it weighs 4500-4600lbs. The GX470 weighs 4900lbs, but it also makes peak torque (323ftlb) at 3400RPM while the MDX makes peak torque (275ftlb) at 5000 RPM (GX has ~50ftlb in advantage).

I know the MDX is listed as faster in 0-60 mph, but the GX feels quicker no doubt due to the big torque advantage and without having to hear the noise from the MDX engine straining to pull that heavy thing along. And like others have said, the MDX sure doesn't feel like it has the rated 300hp.
Old 11-01-06, 04:33 PM
My3rdRX
Driver School Candidate

After having leased three RXs (99, 01, 04), I decided to go for the MDX this time around ~ since the 07 RX is basically the same as the 04.

So far I have put on over 1600 miles in just two weeks (got the car in Orlando and drove it back to VA) and loving every minute of it. It has all three packages (Tech, Sport & Entertainment).

IMO, it's a lot more fun to drive than the RX ~ it feels a lot tighter and sturdier, the technology is much better, the GPS with real traffic flow is simply amazing, and the SH-AWD is just plain awesome — making a sharp turn is like having rubber feet on!

The deal I got was for no money down, $695/month with 12k/year.

Now, if the RX comes out with some superb major overhaul in 09, I may have to reconsider it.
Old 11-02-06, 08:37 AM
BobsGX
Racer

You'll be back.

Quick Reply: 07 Acura MDX