RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Does the R in RX stand for rattle? 07RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 05:19 PM
bmwbiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the R in RX stand for rattle? 07RX350

Wonderful vehicle, feel like a million bucks driving it. In my opinion (for what I do and need), the perfect vehicle, except, this thing rattles like a Chevy. Took it to the dealer where they were most generous with a loaner car and made a lame attempt to repair. Apparently they dont test drive them after working on them. As soon as I pulled out of the lot, the rattle was still there. Seems to be coming from the back seat. Folded the seats down, and its not as bad. I know its not loose stuff in the car because we dont carry any and I have checked all of the storage areas. The rattle really makes the vehicle seem "cheap".
Old 11-04-06, 10:40 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Its probably the rear hatch cover--mine rattles like a B****

Take the whole rear cover Off and go drive it.
Old 11-04-06, 11:57 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default rattles

yes as mentioned the rear hatch cover is a major culprit as are the fasteners that hold it on the sides. there is material that makes a known rattle in rx 330's, 350 and 400h's behind the rear sail corner in the back cargo area. this is the area directly to the right or left of the rear hatch. have someone ride back there and press on the curved area next to each side of the hatch, and also push in the clips that hold that cargo cover in place, you should be able to discover the problem. of course license plate frames can rattle, and there is a very common rattle with the right seat belt when it is not in use, the metal clip rattles against the door frame, go figure. lastly some people have a rattle in the center armrest in the second seat. each time i had a rattle my dealer was able to fix it and they do test it once to confirm the problem with two techs, and once to test that it is gone. i would raise hell with this dealer or find another one and let corporate know how you feel. other than that its a great vehicle
Old 11-05-06, 07:53 PM
BosGS430
Driver School Candidate

I was able to fix the rattle by putting a felt pad on the area on the rear hatch that contacts the small lever that releases the sliding cover. After putting the felt pads on, no more rattles from the back.

Last edited by BosGS430; 11-06-06 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-05-06, 08:24 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a loud rattle from the rear even with the cargo cover removed. The tech, a very young guy who obviously did not know the car very well, told me it was the cargo cover latches. They must be pushed all the way forward until they latch or they rattle. He expected me to believe this silly story, so I went out and tried it. If fixed the rattle! Crow does not taste so bad with lots of salsa.
Steve
Old 11-07-06, 08:45 AM
Rx13
Driver School Candidate

No hatch cover - No rattle. Really can't believe how quiet the RX is.
I took hatch cover out the day I got it but can see how the darned thing would rattle.
Old 11-07-06, 10:38 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Reguardless ANY CAR is going to have its rattles at times--I dont think a car can be rattle-less ever, unless its parked. Major loud rattles, yes need to be taken care of.
Old 11-08-06, 05:34 AM
lvn098
Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
Reguardless ANY CAR is going to have its rattles at times--I dont think a car can be rattle-less ever, unless its parked. Major loud rattles, yes need to be taken care of.
---

I disagree. My daughter Honda Accord and my wife Infiniti are rattleness. It's not acceptable to pay high price for a Luxury car like Lexus and live with the rattle.
My RX350 is at the shop now for the rattle near the left seat belt assembly(twice already), the first time, they gave me an ES350 to drive and this time, a 400h, both of them do not show any rattle noise and that's what I expect on a new car. Older cars may exhibit the problem, but not on ANY new car.
Old 11-22-06, 07:54 PM
Igloo
Driver School Candidate

YEP. Rattles are us!

Had the RX350 for 6 months now and we're still chasing rattles.

The latest twist is the right seat belt which the dealer reversed (to stop the rattle) and which then became worse. So back it went to the dealer for another day and out it came with a completed work order reversing the seat belt buckle again. Only when I checked later I found it still in the reversed position.

One day this new car will stop aggravating me! But it fights me on a regular basis. Last week I couldn't drive with the tailgate unlatched to carry a long object home. All kinds of alarms and misbehaviour from the vehicle. I ignored the racket and drove home anyway, with the hatch way up in the wind. No low bridges or garages fortunately.

Then there's the Nav System and all it's over-engineered problems.

A Lexus is a nice piece of machinery, if you want to stay busy trying to figure it all out! My wife's 2000 Avalon is what I drive when I want to relax.
Old 12-04-06, 12:47 PM
Mr. T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bmwbiker
Wonderful vehicle, feel like a million bucks driving it. In my opinion (for what I do and need), the perfect vehicle, except, this thing rattles like a Chevy. Took it to the dealer where they were most generous with a loaner car and made a lame attempt to repair. Apparently they dont test drive them after working on them. As soon as I pulled out of the lot, the rattle was still there. Seems to be coming from the back seat. Folded the seats down, and its not as bad. I know its not loose stuff in the car because we dont carry any and I have checked all of the storage areas. The rattle really makes the vehicle seem "cheap".
Check where the rear cargo screen locks in on both sides toward the rear hatch door. Try moving those two moveable catches to their opposite postion. Took care of the rattling sound I had coming from the rear of my RX350. Found it myself while my wife drove car and me in the cargo area. I felt stupid back there, but found the rattle.
Old 12-06-06, 04:36 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Rattle free Infiniti....LMFAO. Have you put it in drive? My mothers new G rattles like hell.

As for the RX issue, my father got an '07 back in May, and I too have experienced the unfortunate rattling from the rear cargo area. It really doesn't seem to bother dad since he's usually got the thing full of hockey equipment and what not, but if I can get a day with it, I'd love to fix it for him.

Originally Posted by lvn098
---

I disagree. My daughter Honda Accord and my wife Infiniti are rattleness. It's not acceptable to pay high price for a Luxury car like Lexus and live with the rattle.
My RX350 is at the shop now for the rattle near the left seat belt assembly(twice already), the first time, they gave me an ES350 to drive and this time, a 400h, both of them do not show any rattle noise and that's what I expect on a new car. Older cars may exhibit the problem, but not on ANY new car.
Old 03-13-08, 01:19 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2007 RX350 has an irritating rattle emanating from the back. It's loud and clear enough to know that it's coming from the inside of the car. The first thing I did was remove the tonneau cover which I did within a week after I got the car and haven't replaced it. Still rattles.
Then I did the latch up/latch down exercise. Still rattles.
I checked every item in the jack storage area and they're all secure.

The odd thing is that it's intermittent. It can be rattling like crazy on my way somewhere, park it for an hour or so, get back in and it's gone. Oddly, the reverse situation can also occur. Getting to my dealer is a 300-mile round trip, so I don't casually pop in for visits.

That rattle is is the most irritating of all the noises in this car. It is impossible to go over any road anomaly without something somewhere in the dashboard squeaking, crackling, rubbing, or grating. While I realize that it's not easy to fit together plastic, leather, rubber, and metal without them ever complaining, I believe there's some design or assembly problem that makes the problem so prevalent.

Oh yeah ... there's also that driver window noise, but that horrid buzzing sound only occurs when driving over a special kind of road problem that I rarely encounter.
Old 03-13-08, 01:33 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

I figured out the small rattle in my 07 RX350 is from the front passengers seat bouncing around. If there's somebody sitting there, then there's no rattle sound. Other than that, no problems and it's quiet.
Old 03-13-08, 05:25 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we've been lucky so far i guess. one rattle that turned out to be the spare tire tool tray not seated properly and another that sounded like it was coming from the rear passenger window but really was the seat belt buckle that had gotten pushed down between the seat and the back pillar. glad i didn't take that one to the dealer and complain.
Old 03-13-08, 10:36 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
I figured out the small rattle in my 07 RX350 is from the front passengers seat bouncing around. If there's somebody sitting there, then there's no rattle sound. Other than that, no problems and it's quiet.
thats not normal. should take it to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply: Does the R in RX stand for rattle? 07RX350