RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

ABS, VSC, Brake, TPS lights on? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 06:39 PM
lwing28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all the advice you guys gave me. I called Lexus 800 # and Explained to them that Bay Ridge Lexus told me about the 50K limit on the campaign, Lexus called me back in 2 days time and said they were going to work on y problem. I told them that if the switch is covered, i want to have a nother Lexus Dealer do the work for me. They said that's not a problem. I think Bay Ridge just try to tell me that so they can try to collect two times for the job.. Will keep everyone posted!! Thanks Again.
Old 07-13-07, 06:47 PM
GS2000
Driver School Candidate

I have an 2005 RX and just started to have this problems ABS, VSC, Brake, TPS lights on, until i restart engine, anyone had 05 with this problem?
Old 07-13-07, 07:05 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Take it to the dealer, this condition is abnormal.
Old 07-14-07, 06:37 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi there is a tsb to replace the brake buster if it falls within range, also a tsb to replace the engine junction block that causes the vsc and abs lights to flash along with your a.c light. im sure the techs there know of these.
The following users liked this post:
Jaisgrace (11-22-18)
Old 07-15-07, 11:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Yes, that's right, there is a TSB for a Junction box issue.
Old 06-02-20, 08:31 AM
stonedmadd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same issue on my 2005 Lexus RX330. Seems to be a problem on all RX330's. Started out with the ABS, VSC, Brake, TPMS lights coming on once every few months. But eventually they started lighting up 2-3 times a week.

Found this post (thanks guys!) and took my RX330 to a trusted mechanic that I've used for years that specializes in Lexus vehicles. He grabbed the failure codes and they all pointed to ABS module failure ($$$$ expensive repair). It wasn't until I mentioned the brake switch issue that he did a bit more research and agreed it could be the brake switch. He reset the codes and asked me to bring the RX330 back in with a clean record of the issue.

A couple of days later the lights came back on and I decided to just change the brake switch myself. A few items to make install easier:
  1. Repair info: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ht-switch.html
  2. Buy the Lexus OEM brake switch. ~$50 off Amazon vs. $20-$30 for non-OEM. Given the fitment issues others reported with non-OEM I went with Lexus OEM. Perfect fit!
  3. Make sure you have the 14mm stubby wrench that another poster mentioned. With the stubby wrench I was able to contort just enough that I didn't need to remove any panels to remove/replace the brake switch.
  4. Plan for ~1hr to install. Removal of the brake switch isn't too bad, just make sure you keep the set nut in the same place as mentioned in the instructions. Then you can match the set depth nut to the new brake switch.
  5. Replacing the switch back into the brake pedal is tricky. Prepare for extra contortion to get the switch to align at just the right angle to hand tighten in. A beer break may be needed to help relax muscles between install attempts.
Been 6mos or so since I replaced the brake switch and the error lights haven't occurred again.
The following users liked this post:
hyperdub (02-29-24)
Old 02-08-22, 01:42 PM
Thos
Driver School Candidate

Default Easy Fix

Originally Posted by GS2000
I have an 2005 RX and just started to have this problems ABS, VSC, Brake, TPS lights on, until i restart engine, anyone had 05 with this problem?
The lights come on if the brake fluid is low or if the car thinks the brake fluid is low. I detached the switch at the bottom of the brake reservoir and lubricated both sides This worked for a few days. It’s a intermittent problem.
I’ve now left the switch disconnected and no more lights. Just regularly check the fluid level like in the old days before float switches were installed in cars
Old 02-10-22, 11:36 PM
Thos
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Abs Vsc lights on.

Originally Posted by Aznteazer
sup guys. i have a 2004 rx330. all the lights on the right side of the cluster : ABS, VSC, Brake, and tire pressure sensor lights are on and the tps is blinking.

took it to the dealership and they reset the sensor watever, and drove off and the lights came back on.
took it back and they said they have to diagnose the problem but it might be the ABS ACTUATOR and it'll cost $3200 to replace.
i recently had just the rear tires replaced. would that cause the lights to go on because the front tires are more worn out than the new rear ones and the tire pressure sensor would think theres no air in the front?
dont really want to pay $3200 for a stupid blinking tps light.

any input is appreciated.

thanks!
Yun
  1. The lights will come in if the brake fluid is low or the car thinks it’s low. I fixed a similar problem by disconnecting the brake reservoir switch at the base of the brake fluid bottle. No more lights. Just check the brake fluid level regularly like we used to do before they had switches. Problem solved