RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Does the RX sway/swish on the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06 | 11:20 AM
Mousse
Driver School Candidate

Default Does the RX sway/swish on the highway?

How does it feel driving at high speeds?
Old 12-03-06 | 11:37 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

My RX350 (FWD, 18in wheels) feels very good at speeds up to 85 mph. The only complaint I have is that the road noise is way too high on any surface other than smooth asphalt. For that reason, I will not take highway trips in it unless there is no alternative. (I have an LS430 that I use for most highway trips.)
Old 12-03-06 | 04:32 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

My RX330 AWD w/18" feels great on the highway. Very steady and solid, even at speeds up to 85. But when taking curves at 80mph, it sways a bit, of course.
Old 12-03-06 | 04:36 PM
Mousse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darksparkz
My RX330 AWD w/18" feels great on the highway. Very steady and solid, even at speeds up to 85. But when taking curves at 80mph, it sways a bit, of course.
How about when passing trucks?
Old 12-03-06 | 05:23 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I have never noticed a problem when passing trucks.
Old 12-03-06 | 05:49 PM
Mousse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcf8000
I have never noticed a problem when passing trucks.
That's good. I drive a compact now and the car always feels so shakey and vulnerable next to trucks. It's like the wind from the truck is blowing the car around. Regular wind can be bad on the highway for a compact car as well. I'm hoping that's not noticeable in the 350.
Old 12-03-06 | 06:14 PM
cheap_deal
Driver

when i took a test drive i did notice some body roll on the corners at speeds of about 80mph, but still feels quite stable. cant say the same for the volvo xc90 that i drove.
Old 12-03-06 | 07:02 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I think the handling of the RX350 is surprisingly good. I took a test drive in a Jeep GC AWD with the "hemi" on a hilly, curvy road, and a few days later I took my new RX350 over the same road. There's no comparison--the RX was far superior. I guess the extra suspension travel of the Jeep that makes it good off road gives it loose handling on road. I thought it was scary. I also didn't think the acceleration with the hemi engine was anything special, either.
Old 12-03-06 | 08:46 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Yeah, I have a smaller Camry as well that I drive sometimes. The smaller sedan does get more sway next to trucks, as if their blowing me a bit to the side. But then, on the RX, a much better difference, more stable and planted well.
Old 12-04-06 | 05:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

The RX is an outstanding highway cruiser. I was on a 450 mile round trip last Thursday when a cold front blew in just at dawn, dropping temps from 72 to 38 in about five minutes. Winds swung 180 degrees into the north and kicked up to 40 mph with gusts estimated over 50, and we were lashed by several rain squalls. Westbound at the time, we were taking this heavy weather on the starboard beam, but only a slight pressure on the wheel was required to keep us on a straight course, our progress undisturbed at 75 mph. We were quite comfortable in a quiet shirtsleeve environment. My customer traveling with me was astonished at the way the RX handled the changing environment with aplomb . . . so much so he went to sleep at the height of the storm.

In nearly thirty years of driving SUV's, I've found most to be a real handful in a crosswind, especially when heavy gusts can make a slab-sided 6000-lb vehicle change lanes without warning. I've piloted sailboats with better helm response in a gale than a Suburban. The RX 330, like my 300 before it has acquitted itself amazingly as a long-distance cruiser in every imaginable weather condition.

Road noise is strictly a function of tire choice on a given road surface. The OEM tires are often not the best choice - they are usually selected by what the manufacturer is able to negotiate in terms of cost. My badly worn 18" Michelins are reasonably quiet, handle fairly well, and wear poorly. I will soon replace them with Bridgestone Alenzas that should improve all areas.
Old 12-04-06 | 05:57 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

My RX has the Goodyear RS-As. If you can believe The Tirerack's survey results, the Bridgestone Alenzas are much quieter tires. I'll have to try those if I keep my RX long enough to need new tires. (If I did a lot of highway driving with it I'd probably change out the tires sooner.)
Old 12-04-06 | 07:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cheap_deal
when i took a test drive i did notice some body roll on the corners at speeds of about 80mph, but still feels quite stable. cant say the same for the volvo xc90 that i drove.
You also noticed that with the XC90. The Volvo dealership down here tried very hard not to let me take high speed turns or even swift, high speed lane changes when I tested it once. Really irked me and the person that brought me along to help evaluate it (to see if they wanted it). Person ended up buying a 4 Runner (no Lexus in Mexico...yet)
Old 12-04-06 | 09:08 AM
steiner
Driver

Moving from an a long line of Acura cars to my first Lexus, I don't know how I feel about RX350 handling. I found myself (or the car?) over-steer on the highway and I have to correct it everytime I change lane or make a turn. Of course I don't like that. Street driving seems to be fine.

I don't know because this car is more responsive than what I used to or because it has an over-steering problem. May be I just need to re-learn my driving.

What do you think?
Old 12-04-06 | 10:12 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

I have to go along with Lil4X on the handling of the RX330. On Sat. I drove to Bismarck, ND on I94 (westbound) with a 25 to 35 mph wind out of the NW. I was cruising along at about 78 mph and other than having to have about a 2 to 3 degree right turn to keep the RX heading straight I had no problems. Sure, once in a while a gust would make the RX sway a little to the left but I have found it to be very controlable. My previous Lexus was a GS300 and I would find that would react the same way in side winds with gusts. In my years of driving any where from a 70 Cuda, Ford full size van (E150 conversion), crew cab pickups to the RX you will get some buffeting while passing a semi, particularily when there are strong side winds in the first place. It's just a guestion of having a firm grip on the wheel and a little anticipation. All in all I believe my RX handles quite well in windy and semi passing situations. You have to remember the RX is still an SUV, maybe not as big as a lot of other ones out there, but it still sits higher and with the bigger profile than a sedan. My RX has the 18 in Michelin MXV4s which may help a bit when compared to other vehicles with 16 in 70 and 78 series found a some SUV's.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior with Black Birdseye Maple, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing wipers, Headlight washers, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18 in Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4s.
1998 GS300 (First & previous Lexus)
Old 12-04-06 | 10:29 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steiner
Moving from an a long line of Acura cars to my first Lexus, I don't know how I feel about RX350 handling. I found myself (or the car?) over-steer on the highway and I have to correct it everytime I change lane or make a turn. Of course I don't like that. Street driving seems to be fine.

I don't know because this car is more responsive than what I used to or because it has an over-steering problem. May be I just need to re-learn my driving.

What do you think?
Over-steering usually happens when you push the car to it's limits of adhesion to the road. Over-steering means that the rear end starts to slide more than the front causing the car to 'over steer'. I don't think you were experiencing over-steering, especially in an SUV. Over steering can most often happen in rear drive cars that are being pushed to the max. I think you are referring to a problem where you have to constantly correct the steering to go straight.

Kan-O-Z

Quick Reply: Does the RX sway/swish on the highway?