RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Playing DVDs on NAV screen on 2004 RX 330 w/RSES

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 10:34 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Playing DVDs on NAV screen on 2004 RX 330 w/RSES

comments aside about the safety of this, how is this done? Since my car doesn't have phone controls or bluetooth, is all I have to do is ground the parking brake wire?

My car has the rear seat entertainment, and that's where the DVD disk would be (not in the CD changer or in Nav drive).

Thanks for any help. I did a search on this and didnt' find any specific information on this.
Old 12-07-06, 11:37 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

anyone? No one has done this mod on this year RX 330? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-08-06, 01:32 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out one of our friendly vendors, Vais Technology http://www.vaistech.com/ for a number of solutions.

Be careful though, you may have local regulations regarding the placement of a video monitor in the driver's view while driving that can cost you a rather expensive ticket. Furthermore, there may be liability issues that could void your insurance if you have such a system. I think there was a case a few years back in Alaska on exactly this issue, where a motorist had a video playing at the time of an accident, resulting in some pretty heavy court action.

(Found it! http://www.anchoragepress.com/newarc...vol12ed44.html )

Check your local laws before installing any such hacks.
Old 12-08-06, 02:29 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Actually, I don't need any add-on equipment. I just want to fool the system to think that I am stopped and have the parking brake on so that I can play DVDs on the nav screen.

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-10-06, 12:49 AM
dough boi
Pole Position

My g/f has an 04 330 with just the nav indash and i was told that you could "hack" it in order to play dvds, now mind you tonight we were out in laguna overlooking the town and it would of been perfect (she found a random dvd) but i thought that if i did it for her this weekend i wouldnt have to worry about it in the future, any insight on how i can go about doing this?
TIA
Old 12-10-06, 04:58 PM
motorjock
Driver School Candidate

Default Another DVD ? I need some help with please

Does anyone know of anything on the market to use instead of the headphones to listen to the rear entertainment. I'm looking for something like some ear buds or something to that nature.

Thanks,
Old 12-10-06, 08:17 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I think people are getting off topic. anyone know how to do the mod I mentioned in my first post?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-06, 10:40 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the hack last year. you need to do this:

(1) cut the speed sensing wire

(2) cut the nav speed wire

(3) connect one end of the nav speed wire to the vehicle speed sensing wire (so your nav doesn't get "lost" after the hack)

(4) cut the parking brake wire and ground it to a the metal frame holding the head unit

i found little help on the RX forum so i used the instructions on the GX forum. i went to techinfo.lexus.com and paid $10 to get the wiring diagrams for both the GX and RX to make sure that i knew which color wires to cut on the RX. i had the hard copy somewhere but can't find it now.

i have very little DIY experience but the RX was approaching 50k and i felt like doing the hack once and for all for our long ski trips, etc. the hack works perfectly and i have had NO adverse effects on the RSES or Nav, parking brake, etc. since that time.

here are the step by step instructions on the GX forum. get the wiring diagram for the GX and RX and then have them side by side so you can look up the exact colors on the RX beforehand so you know exactly what to cut (the way they are labeled on the GX makes it easy to compare on the RX and get the wire colors and Pin #'s on the harnesses). PM me again if you need more help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=dvd+hack
Old 02-02-08, 05:35 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea of the kits for the GS would work?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...317601&page=11