RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How is the 350 at handing corners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06 | 02:18 PM
biff44
Instructor

Sounds like a lot of you are not used to driving high CG suvs! I just trashed out a chevy conversion van that I had been driving, and let me tell you, compared to that the RX350 is like riding on rails. And I pushed that van very hard! You can push the RX350 right up to the limit--very little body roll. I have the 18" wheels, which probably helps a little, but I would not be the least concerned with pushing this thing. Anyway, If it gets close to breaking loose, the traction system steps in to keep you from spinning out.
Old 12-30-06 | 08:48 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mousse
I hear the MDX has excellent handling. Like a car when it comes to curves. Even in other threads here people have said that the RX excels the least when it comes to performance when compared to other mid size SUV's in its class.
When you say performance, what does that mean...handling or braking or acceleration?

I can tell you the RX350 is near the top of the class in acceleration. It will accelerate as fast as the 300hp MDX and as fast as many V8 SUVs like the Mercedes ML500! All while getting 20/25mpg which other SUVs can't match

If you are talking about handling, the RX350 is not top of it's class. The MDX, FX and X5 will handle better (unless you install some sport springs on the RX350). But.....just like everything in life there is a trade-off. I can tell you the RX350 will ride much better than the MDX, FX and X5. The Lexus RX350 handles quite well for an SUV in my opinion. You have to decide what is important to you. I think Lexus got it right and the sales prove it. If you buy an SUV and you are really overly concerned with it handling like a car, then you have bought the wrong type of vehicle! No SUV will handle like a good car because of the laws of physics so why try to defy them! An SUV is meant to be a touring and utility vehicle...not a sports car. If touring and utility are important to you, the RX350 is top of it's class. If handling is important to you, you need to buy a sport wagon that will outhandle all SUVs out there any day.

By the way, the RX350 is a great vehicle and is fun to drive in my opinion. It does exactly what a good crossover should do and it does it very well

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-31-06 | 09:21 AM
cheap_deal
Driver

i just took our RX350 for a drive thru jebel hafeet mountains (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109278) and it handled quite well, took all the turns with some body roll and a bit of tyre squeal. i wish the steering was not so lazy and a bit firmer at higher speeds. but still it handled well for an suv. cant wait to go there again
Old 12-31-06 | 11:01 AM
jamesfabin
Driver

Default RX350 AWD vs. Infiniti FX45 AWD vs. BMW X3

I purchased an Infiniti FX AWD in the end of January and replaced it with the 2007 Lexus RX350 about 5 months later. I've also spent a good amount of time in the X3. I'm a very aggressive driver, I push the cars to just before their limits on a regular basis. The RX350 AWD handles much better then the FX35/45 in curves for an aggressive driver. Much is due to the tires (the 20" tires I had on the Infiniti had large soft sides that gave too much in high speed corners). I didn't like the RX350 FWD model, I don't need AWD (Southern California), but it added additional weight at the most importat part of the car and lowers the center of gravity for the vehicle.

The X3 was no match for either the Lexus or it Infiniti in my opinion - it accelerated much slower, had a very un-BMW like feel, and didn't feel as confident in the aggressive manuvers as the RX350.

To give you an idea of how I test drive a car, I do the standard rolling accelleration, standing still accelleration, high speed cornering, an emergancy s-curve, high speed straight-line breaking, high speed breaking into a curve, panic break with swerve to avoid and obstical, as well as a number of higher speed (relative) manuvers in reverse. Today the RX350 is my daily driver and each day the stability control beeps at me for approaching the limits in turns. I've taken the RX350 past its limits a few times when safe and the safety systems have activate properly to return the car to normal, most in a non-intrusive manner.

I also like how Lexus handles its speed limiter - though I feel its set far too low for thw RX350 AWD. I'm not sure what the exact technical speed is for it activating, but it appears to be 114 MPH that it reduces the amount of air (accelerator pedal) provided to the ending gently to reduce the speed by only 2 MPH. My BMW Z4 is much more aggressive when it hits its elecronic limit and feels as if the car is stalling for at least a 5 MPH drop. The Infiniti FX45 was also aggressive feeling, and the cars large tires felt unsecure at anything over 120 MPH.

I do not recommend you drive as I do, I've had years of experience, training, and motorsport racing under my belt. But I feel confident in the capabilities of the RX350 AWD.

James
Old 01-02-07 | 09:35 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jamesfabin
I purchased an Infiniti FX AWD in the end of January and replaced it with the 2007 Lexus RX350 about 5 months later. I've also spent a good amount of time in the X3. I'm a very aggressive driver, I push the cars to just before their limits on a regular basis. The RX350 AWD handles much better then the FX35/45 in curves for an aggressive driver. Much is due to the tires (the 20" tires I had on the Infiniti had large soft sides that gave too much in high speed corners). I didn't like the RX350 FWD model, I don't need AWD (Southern California), but it added additional weight at the most importat part of the car and lowers the center of gravity for the vehicle.

The X3 was no match for either the Lexus or it Infiniti in my opinion - it accelerated much slower, had a very un-BMW like feel, and didn't feel as confident in the aggressive manuvers as the RX350.

To give you an idea of how I test drive a car, I do the standard rolling accelleration, standing still accelleration, high speed cornering, an emergancy s-curve, high speed straight-line breaking, high speed breaking into a curve, panic break with swerve to avoid and obstical, as well as a number of higher speed (relative) manuvers in reverse. Today the RX350 is my daily driver and each day the stability control beeps at me for approaching the limits in turns. I've taken the RX350 past its limits a few times when safe and the safety systems have activate properly to return the car to normal, most in a non-intrusive manner.

I also like how Lexus handles its speed limiter - though I feel its set far too low for thw RX350 AWD. I'm not sure what the exact technical speed is for it activating, but it appears to be 114 MPH that it reduces the amount of air (accelerator pedal) provided to the ending gently to reduce the speed by only 2 MPH. My BMW Z4 is much more aggressive when it hits its elecronic limit and feels as if the car is stalling for at least a 5 MPH drop. The Infiniti FX45 was also aggressive feeling, and the cars large tires felt unsecure at anything over 120 MPH.

I do not recommend you drive as I do, I've had years of experience, training, and motorsport racing under my belt. But I feel confident in the capabilities of the RX350 AWD.

James

Wow I'm impressed with your review of the RX350. I'm really surprised that you felt the RX handled better than the FX and X3 but it sure makes me happy!

For all those people that are so crazy about the handling capabilities of the MDX should read jamesfabin's review here. I think jamesfabin has pushed his RX350 harder than 99% of owners would push ANY SUV. This goes to show that the RX350 is more than adequate for 99% of drivers out there...so I'm not sure why all the hype for the MDX. Sure the MDX may handle better at the extreme limits but come on folks, it's pointless to buy an SUV that has capabilities that you can't even use. Now for the ride, the RX350 wins hands down as compared to it's competition.

This is off topic but I am really happy with our new RX350. On a recent trip we averaged 24 mpg. That was with 30% local(30mph), 20% highway with lots of congestion (20mph), and 50% highway at 80mph. As you can see, these aren't even the best conditions for optimum fuel economy. I imagine with careful driving and steady highway, one can approach 25-27mpg

I love this car so far

Kan-O-Z