RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

HELP: RX 350 All Wheel Drive vs. Front Wheel Drive, Difference In Ride & Handling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 10:49 AM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: RX 350 All Wheel Drive vs. Front Wheel Drive, Difference In Ride & Handling?

Hello,

I have done my search in this forum and on the web, and can't seem to find a comparison between these two versions of the Rx 350.

Besides the obvious better wet traction of the awd, do these 2 versions feel significantly different from each other in terms of HANDLING and RIDE? Does the front wheel drive model have much more torque steer or understeer more? I read that VSC is less intrusive in AWD, is that true??

Is there any other difference between the 2 that I should be aware of? If you have picked one model over the other, would you please tell me why? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Can
Old 12-10-06, 11:02 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

IMHO, your choice between AWD and FWD should be based on environmnet ... read as ... wheel to driving surface conditions WHEN you intend to drive.

In other words, if the adverse conditions happen only 2 days in a year and you MUST drive in those two days then AWD would be the right choice.

Also think of the initial price difference, maintainance, mpg and resale advantage (dont forget cost recoup).

Salim
Old 12-10-06, 11:28 AM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Hello Salim,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Perhaps I should re-phrase the question: On a dry surface, without rain or snow, do these 2 versions feel differently as far as ride and handling? (Ditto for my other question re. VSC.)

Is the all wheel drive version "better" even on dry surface? Is torque steer noticeable with the front wheel drive version in comparison to the awd?

Thanks & regards,
Can

Originally Posted by salimshah
IMHO, your choice between AWD and FWD should be based on environmnet ... read as ... wheel to driving surface conditions WHEN you intend to drive.

In other words, if the adverse conditions happen only 2 days in a year and you MUST drive in those two days then AWD would be the right choice.

Also think of the initial price difference, maintainance, mpg and resale advantage (dont forget cost recoup).

Salim
Old 12-10-06, 01:03 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I have the FWD version of the RX350. I think the handling is very good, but if I'm accelerating while turning, the torque steer effect is objectionable. I've wondered if this effect is less with AWD.
Old 12-10-06, 01:33 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Well i have an AWD Rx330 and i think it is a very good car even though i dont live in a place with a lot of snow. After driving the loaner Rx330's which are FWD, i can honestly say that the FWD models feel more light footed, but because they are fwd, its a bit louder (perhaps my imagination) in the front, and the sound is different. Im pretty sure handling is going to be very similar especially in everyday experiences. I always have gotten AWD cars because i feel safer in the wet weather.

to some up, no big difference between the two in feeling. go with your gut.
Old 12-10-06, 04:55 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts

It is my understanding that the AWD cars drive with the front wheels only unless slippage is detected, and then power is sent to the rear wheels also.

If this is correct, for the great majority of time, there should not be much difference in handling. There is more weight at the rear axle, of course, but not all that much to make much difference in normal driving on dry pavement.
Old 12-10-06, 05:32 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

For dry environment specifically, the handling is not identical, but the differences are not huge or critical where you will say one is better than the other [each model will have its advantages and disadvantages].

The only clear advantage for awd is when traction is poor. Ever so slight advantage is maybe torque-steer. The rest are detractors due to added weight and a source of loss of power.

That said, I must add that in some situations the traction factor outweighs all other considerations.

[wwest could have given you more information than you cared for. Have not seem his posts in CL.]

Salim
Old 12-11-06, 11:12 PM
Losiho
Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
It is my understanding that the AWD cars drive with the front wheels only unless slippage is detected, and then power is sent to the rear wheels also.
Certainly not on my Australian Spec RX330. Torque to the wheels is controlled by the centre diff, and the split is 50/50 front / rear.

There are no front wheel drive RX's down here.
Old 12-12-06, 11:29 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cannga
Hello Salim,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Perhaps I should re-phrase the question: On a dry surface, without rain or snow, do these 2 versions feel differently as far as ride and handling? (Ditto for my other question re. VSC.)

Is the all wheel drive version "better" even on dry surface? Is torque steer noticeable with the front wheel drive version in comparison to the awd?

Thanks & regards,
Can

If this is correct, for the great majority of time, there should not be much difference in handling. There is more weight at the rear axle, of course, but not all that much to make much difference in normal driving on dry pavement.
Well I would like to state that in the RX350, all wheels are driven all the time. I think this system is better than the ones that are 2WD until slippage is detected like it is in many cars. Torque is normally split 50/50 front and back.

The FWD and AWD will drive different even on dry surfaces. First would be accelerating on a turn such as pulling out in traffic while hitting the gas hard. The AWD will be very solid and controllable with no torque steer. In the FWD, you will be fighting with the steering wheel trying to overcome the torque steer. Second would be any situation you may encounter such as dirt or gravel on the road causing loss of traction on the FWD but no effect on AWD. I think in general the AWD will feel more 'planted' even in dry surfaces and definitely on wet surfaces.

Aside from slippery surfaces, would you ever tow a trailer? If so AWD will be better.

Another question you may want to ask yourself is why are buying an SUV? If one of those reasons is better all weather driveability, then get the AWD. Personally I do have a problem buying an SUV and having it get stuck in the snow. You have to play to the strengths of an SUV since they already lack in many other areas.

Resale will be much better on AWD. This is because you can sell to any market in the US, not just places that are warm.

Finally I would like to say that the mpg loss in minimal for AWD. It's only 1mpg less and that's something almost not noticeable. That is also very impressive for a full time AWD system. Please note that the RX400h does not have a full time AWD system.

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-12-06, 11:38 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts

My '04 RX330 AWD certainly seems stable, and does not seem to have the steering feel that my former FWD cars had, which makes me wonder if it is driving 4 wheels all the time, or if it is just driving the front wheels until it detects slippage.

Can someone post the answer.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-06, 05:37 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the south and drive an AWD RX330. For almost 2 weeks I had a loaner FWD RX350. I much prefer the feeling of extra stability that my AWD offers. I also really disliked the torque steer on the FWD RX350, especially on wet road conditions. Maybe it's the extra weight, but my AWD feels much more sure footed, secure, solid, and in-control. The gas mileage trade-off is insignificant.
The following users liked this post:
cfbswami (11-15-23)
Old 12-12-06, 07:34 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveJ
I live in the south and drive an AWD RX330. For almost 2 weeks I had a loaner FWD RX350. I much prefer the feeling of extra stability that my AWD offers. I also really disliked the torque steer on the FWD RX350, especially on wet road conditions. Maybe it's the extra weight, but my AWD feels much more sure footed, secure, solid, and in-control. The gas mileage trade-off is insignificant.
There is approximately a 200lbs difference in weight between the AWD and FWD. That's not really much for an SUV....about the weight of one adult. I don't think one adult sitting in the rear seat is going to give you a secure feeling. I guess what I am saying is the secure feeling probably doesn't come from the extra weight but rather the extra traction from AWD.

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-12-06, 08:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

definetly reccomend AWD. You will see big difference every time you floor it.
Old 12-12-06, 10:28 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by spwolf
definetly reccomend AWD. You will see big difference every time you floor it.
Is the big difference in torque steer? On a dry pavement, FWD has an edge on 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers (and mpg).... or am I misinformed.

The other information, which can be wrong as well, is that on higher speed the rears get almost no power. At start front to back you get 50-50 and trac system applies brakes on the wheel that looses traction. [trac function is the same thing in FWD ... other than no power to rears]

cannga: Compare the toque-steer between AWD and FWD models, both normal start and flooring it. Then there are clear advantage of awd in case the traction is poor.

Salim
Old 12-12-06, 10:34 PM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

It is all wheel drive always, per
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z12618/default.aspx

Full-Time All-Wheel Drive with Vehicle Stability Control

To couple with the newly gained additional horsepower and torque of the V6, the all-wheel drive RX 350 uses a viscous limited-slip center differential to enhance drivability in all types of driving conditions. The full-time AWD system works with TRAC to evenly distribute power to both axles with a constant 50/50 front-to-rear power split. If slippage occurs, the viscous coupling differential directs torque to the wheels with the most traction.

Regards,
Can

My '04 RX330 AWD certainly seems stable, and does not seem to have the steering feel that my former FWD cars had, which makes me wonder if it is driving 4 wheels all the time, or if it is just driving the front wheels until it detects slippage.

Can someone post the answer.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: HELP: RX 350 All Wheel Drive vs. Front Wheel Drive, Difference In Ride & Handling?