RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Front Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 08:27 AM
dandg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Front Brake Rotors

With just over 50k and one brake pad job(all Toyota parts purchased from Lexus dealer and done at Toyota dealer for convenience and price advantage) 8k ago our RX330 now has a wicked pulsation in the wheel when brakes are applied.The Toyota dealer (Lexus will not work on brakes as we dared to take it to an "outside"(who's name is one the VIN plate and warranty booklet signed by "Toyota Motor Company" but that another story) says we need new front rotors.Should we buy the Toyota ones again (they are evidently not that thick and prone to warp failure as evidenced by the TSB's and other owners problems) or go with a high quality after market (many show addional holes drilled for cooling)?
The est is 460 for both front rotors replaced at the TM dealer, would prefer not to go through this again in such short time frame.
What have other owners done for front rotors OEM or after market
thanks
Old 12-14-06, 08:35 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why didn't you take your RX before 50K to dealership and have them replaced it free. There was a TSB for RX330.

BR004-04 : FRONT BRAKE VIBRATION
Some customers may experience front brake vibration on 2004 model year RX 330 vehicles. New front brake rotors have been developed to improve this condition.
Old 12-14-06, 09:12 AM
dandg
Driver

Unfortunalty we asked them,before we had the 50k and they said our warr was no longer valid as we had service done "somewhere else"( a Toyota dealer is "not qualified"). Done with the dealer I suspect for now,great cars poor policy which pushes "Magnuson-Moss" well beyond its limits.I am SOL with Lexus but thats another story.Did they replace yours with the "new improved" version and how long have they lasted if they did ?
Old 12-14-06, 02:25 PM
dhamaka127
Driver

Question

Hey,

Could any one tell me the TSB or put a pdf on here for that prob. Because I am having that problem at the moment and I only have 41K on my RX330. I was going to go to Toyota for an Oil change but I will go to the Lexus dealer if it can get the rotors change as per TSB.

I am thinkinga bout going to the Toyota dealer because it is closer to me only about 4 miles from home and the lexus dealer is 80 miles away.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-06, 06:34 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

According to Edmunds' Maintenance Section, the TSB is as follows:

Component Description:25. SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Bulletin Number: 00404
Bulletin Date: JUN 2004
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus RX 330

Summary: FRONT BRAKE VIBRATION. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10008391 )
Old 01-01-07, 10:04 AM
budyl
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Dealer replaced rotors - no charge at 49K miles

My 2004 RX330 had the high speed braking vibration problem for some time. But having 49000 miles, I had to take it in for any remaining warranty repairs before my 50K warranty expired. Lexus dealer test drove, confirmed the rotors were warped, and told me they convinced Lexus higher ups to pay for the replacement for free. Of course I gave my gratitude. I was a regular there for interval services (30K, 60K), probably influenced them. I don't think a Toyota dealer would be as easy to convince about a TSB type repair.
Old 01-01-07, 01:52 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A Toyota dealer can't do any warranty work on a Lexus unless there isn't a Lexus dealer within 150 miles of your home or it was an emergency that made the car undrivable. Toyota won't reimburse them for the parts and labor, so it's not even up to the dealer.

A Toyota dealer, or any other mechanic, is "qualified" to do maintenance work without voiding your warranty rights. Just keep your receipts.
Old 01-01-07, 01:59 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The TSIB in this case is # BR004-04, dated 6/18/2004. The problem is a vibration coming from the front brakes; solution is replacement front discs (rotors), pads, and shims.

It applies to 2004 RX 330's with serial #'s (the last 7 digits of your VIN) below the following:

Made in Japan (VIN starts JTJ): 2WD - 0032087, AWD - 0060469
Made in Canada (VIN starts 2T2): 2WD - C011300, AWD - C017170
Old 01-01-07, 05:02 PM
Mark_LP
Driver School Candidate

Default inadequate brake system

Just to share my personal experience with this same issue, I'm posting so others may be warned. I have an 04 RX330 that is still under warranty. I had my front rotors replaced under warranty by my local Lexus dealer at about 25k because they were so warped. (Not without some pressure from my end. The typical tactic at Lexus dealers is to claim that you are the only one with this issue and they are going out of their way to fix it. At least when my BMWs broke down, the dealer was apologetic and knew about the issue with the cars and would work to correct it.) At about 45k, again, my front rotors were warped. I took it to another Lexus dealer who said I had to have a break job but did not volunteer to cover any part of the job until I mentioned calling Lexus directly. Then, they volunteered to cover the rotors but no labor. It was time for a front and rear pad and labor job, so I decided at that time that paying to put inadequate rotors and pads on a car only to repeat within 25k was not worth my money. I went to a local shop who put a dimpled and slotted rotor with harder pads on. This is a much better setup. As a plus to this, I've noticed that the front nose dive on braking has been less severe.
I guess the moral to the story is that brakes that warp consistently weren't designed properly in the first place. This is a basic system in a vehicle and one of the most important. I would not recommend after warranty period to put OEM brake parts on these cars. In my book, it's a lot short of perfection and even safety.
Old 01-02-07, 03:50 AM
dandg
Driver

We had them done at Toyota,as we are where told our warranty was voided due to not having them,the Lexus dealer do service.The cost was $450.I am now a bit concerned with your experience Mark and wish I knew earlier,I had them put on the Toyota (Lexus call them "their parts" but they are both TOY numbered and boxed !).I have also read in industry trade publications that some are now forgoing cutting of rotors on some cars due to warping issues on recent import models.If these go again I will go with the after market slotted rotors.
We did call the TOY customer service,a couple of time, and where told that Lexus only "replaces rotors when car is brand new not at 40K" also told several times in previous calls that any work done outside a Lexus dealer is indeed deemed "not qualified" (they try to disance themselves from any connection with TOY)reciepts or no reciepts they will void your warranty and not cover you for warranty work if you go anywhere else (that includes Toyota as they are "NOT qualified"-this is straight from Lexus customer
service)
My choice to not return to Lexus dealer is due to both distance (only one in state and several closer Toy dealers) and price (they charge $175 for oil change/tire rotation (with Mob 1).
Thanks for responses,they most certainly have a problem with rotors warpage and will do all they can not to adresss it under warranty when possible

Last edited by dandg; 01-02-07 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-02-07, 07:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My experience. I brought my 04 RX330 in for it's 30k service and the carpet pin recall. I mentioned that the brakes felt rough. They weren't pulsing like from a badly warped rotor, but felt more like a grinding.

They gave me a loaner and when I came back to get my RX they had replaced the rotors and pads. The service manager said that this was the beginning of warped rotors and was replaced free under a TSB.

I brought the car in with very little fuel in the tank and they filled it up for free as well.

This dealer normally charges moderate prices but they honor coupons from other Lexus dealers in the region. I'm on the mailing list for another Lexus dealer who sends out quarterly service coupons so I get by pretty reasonably.

I have to say that I am satisfied with the service quality from my dealership.
Old 01-06-07, 01:39 PM
stllex88
Driver

At 30K, my dealer replaced my rotors under warranty without a hassle, but not the pads. My VIN wasn't included in the TSB. They said I had 20-25% left on the pads (and didn't call to ask if I wanted new ones). Now at 42K miles I've got to be approaching needed pads.
A. I now know not have them machined
B. Do I pay dealer price for pads (don't know what that is) and risk re-warp which will not be replaced under warranty?

The line about only replacing rotors at the start is B.S. It's covered until the new car warranty expires, which I thought was at 60K, not 50K.
Yep 50K - darn!

Last edited by stllex88; 01-06-07 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 11:09 AM
dandg
Driver

I agree don't cut those rotors unless there is a big "runout" over .001.There was a good article in a trade mag (my friend owns a Trans business and gets them( http://www.magazines.com/ncom/mag?mid=5418 ) about not cutting them on some imports) as to the pads I think they where around $80 with the shim kit from the dealer (I bought them there so there would be no problem shows wrong I was thou!)I can get you the number it should be the same as we have the 04 with 18" as well.
I think the issue is the rotors not cooling and bieng to thin to be able to cut and still cool down.MB and I think BMW have the hard(or harder) pads that are designed to wear down both the rotor and pad together but the TOY (Lexus) still uses the softer ones.
Time will tell on the rotor life but if these fail in less than 40k it will be after market for replacement (assuming I keep the RX-been toying with either the X5 or the MDX wife drive and is not to confident in the car anymore).Hope this helps if you want the brake pad and shim TOY numbers let me know and I can post them here or email.
Most alarming is the Customer service that is told to hold the company line with warranty avoidance),not good business but I suspect they feel they have the market by the short hairs now and can get more agressive.
Old 01-27-07, 06:10 PM
stllex88
Driver

Dandg,

I would appreciate the part numbers required for a front brake pad replacement (shims included) for 18" wheels if you have them.

Thanks.

Lex
Old 01-28-07, 11:57 AM
dandg
Driver

here is what we bought Stllex88 ours is a 04 RX330 AWD with 18 inch wheels as well so they should fit.
These are TM numbers but if you cll a TM dealer parts guy they are quick to hang up as soon as you say Lexus.Jusr say "you want to order parts and have the numbers"

Pad Kit 04465-48199 62.31
Shim Kit 0495-OE020 34.88
Fitting Kit 04947-48050 13.06

total 111.15

Hope that helps. as I sid before I would advise against cutting those poorly designed rotors as long as runout is not bad.

dandg

Quick Reply: RX330 Front Brake Rotors