RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone Consider 2007 Acura MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 12:27 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Power distribution display is for Super Handling AWD, which can channel torque left and right, front and back. It is not only an excellent mechanism to deliver power, but distribution power where it needs the most also improves handling. This is a task that heavily front biased RX AWD could not do.
The RX350 AWD is full time AWD(all 4 wheels are driven all the time) with a 50/50 Front to Rear distribution under normal conditions. The AWD is intelligent enough to change the distribution front to rear and side to side. How is the MDX better with the AWD?

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-17-06, 12:30 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mousse
I don't think you pay less for all the things you want. Right now, the 350 is selling around invoice or less in some places. The MDX with the rear DVD system is going to cost you at least 46k right now.
Yeah we got our '07 RX350 AWD with Nav/blue tooth/voice recognition, heated seats, 18" rims, HIDs and a whole lot of other stuff for $41k. Try to beat that with the MDX.

Oh and by the way, we all know that a car in its 3rd year is going to be more solid than a car in it's first year. On top of that, Lexus in general tends to edge out Acura in reliability.

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-17-06, 09:15 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

When you look at it that way, you would probably pay $2000 more for a similarly equipped 2007 MDX, but some advantages would be -- a WAY nicer (410 watt, 10 speaker, w/subwoofers, surround sound) sound system, a larger car (could be looked at as a negative) with newer technology and a style that will be around 5-6 more years (not making it feel as dated as the RX will feel in a year and a half), a much more adept AWD system, a Navigation system consistently ranked as the best in the industry (w/Bluetooth and more voice commands) ... imho a much more aggressive look and better handling (more sporty, yet still a plush ride).

Things you wouldn't have when priced out similarly like we're saying ... power liftgate (you can get it on the Entertainment Package however -- power liftgate (operates better than the RX), Rear DVD, and rear heated seats for $2200).
Old 12-17-06, 03:19 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Husker4the
When you look at it that way, you would probably pay $2000 more for a similarly equipped 2007 MDX, but some advantages would be -- a WAY nicer (410 watt, 10 speaker, w/subwoofers, surround sound) sound system, a larger car (could be looked at as a negative) with newer technology and a style that will be around 5-6 more years (not making it feel as dated as the RX will feel in a year and a half), a much more adept AWD system, a Navigation system consistently ranked as the best in the industry (w/Bluetooth and more voice commands) ... imho a much more aggressive look and better handling (more sporty, yet still a plush ride).

Things you wouldn't have when priced out similarly like we're saying ... power liftgate (you can get it on the Entertainment Package however -- power liftgate (operates better than the RX), Rear DVD, and rear heated seats for $2200).
I don't think that 410 watt 10 speaker system is standard. I believe it's one of the options. By the same token, the Lexus has a Mark Levinson system as an option. I believe the ML system is better than the one in the MDX...for me at least. I am into high fidelity and quality and I could care less about 410 watts. I think the ML is higher fidelity (which even plays DVD Audio Discs) than the 410 watt system in the MDX. Of course this is all my opinion and some will prefer the MDX audio system.

What all technology are you guys referring to that the MDX has? The AWD may be slightly better on the MDX but I would never even take that into consideration when deciding between the two. The RX350 AWD system is very good. Sure the MDX may have a slightly better NAV and or voice recognition...but let me tell you the one in the new '07 Lexus is spectacular. The Lexus has as options Laser Cruise, Panorama roof, Height adjustable air suspension. I really don't think the MDX is 5 years ahead of the RX. The only thing the RX doesn't have is the real time traffic on the Nav.

We recently bought an '07 RX350 and it was way way ahead of the competition in terms of high tech features and options and price.

I agree with you that the handling on the MDX is prob better than the RX. But let me tell you, you can take care of that problem with some sport springs for $300.

Other advantages of the RX350:
-More Luxurious (lets face it, the MDX may be more sport but the lexus will be more luxury)
-Better Fuel Economy. The RX350 is best in class and about 2-3 mpg better than MDX.
-Better fit/finish/reliability. I can say this because the MDX just came out. It's just not going to be as solid as the Lexus. Even after that, I think Lexus is once again best in the industry in this area in general.
-Better price. People are getting the Lexus right now for invoice. You can get a fully optioned out Lexus probably cheaper than the base MDX.

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-17-06, 03:50 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
The RX350 AWD is full time AWD(all 4 wheels are driven all the time) with a 50/50 Front to Rear distribution under normal conditions. The AWD is intelligent enough to change the distribution front to rear and side to side. How is the MDX better with the AWD?

Kan-O-Z
If RX350 has the same drive train as the RX300/RX330, it is 95/5 heavily biased toward the front.
Check out this thread, the thread starter asked whether RX330 AWD is a "total hoax", wwest came with dyno tests, his own rear wheel torque test, and excellent reasonings to validate RX's AWD is really a FWD system.
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=27968

Yes, the RX series is AWD/(4WD) for marketing purposes only.

The initial series was natively front torque biased, 95/5 and has a viscous clutch/coupling mounted across the two outputs of the center differential. The idea was that with slippage at the front the VC would tighten up and partially lock the center differential and thereby raise the torque level to the rear.

The problem was that the formulation of the viscous fluid was such that it remained flaccid and even if front wheel slippage persisted for an extended period would only couple about 25% of the engine torque to the rear. So in the short term, matters of seconds, it had no drive toque to the rear.
In 2004 the VC was dropped, center differential always fully "open" in favor of the use of braking to apportion engine torque front to rear and side to side. In effect the brakes are used to simulate LSDs. Limited Slip Differentials, front, center, and rear. For some reason the torque biasing to the front was also increased in 2004.

The problem with that was that while you had virtually instantaneous torque apportionment from the front to the rear if the slippage persisted the engine had to be dethrottled to prevent the brake rotors from overheating and warping. Not just a few owners were at their wits end trying to figure out how to disable the system so wheelspin, or back and forth rocking, could be used to get unstuck.

Now I see that for the new RX350 the VC is back in use.

Hopefully with a better viscous fluid formulation and an improved method of quickly dispersing the HEAT from the VC once the "event" has passed. And maybe, just maybe, the engine torque is now biased to the rear as it should be, but I wouldn't put money on that.

Try, try, and try again, Toyota will get it right sooner or later.

In the mean time I'm off to see Acura about purchasing the new RDX as soon as it is available. Dynamic, on-the-fly, torque allocation, 70% to the rear if conditions warrant and as much as 100% of that to the outside rear wheel while turning.

By happenstance I ended up driving down a very wet and muddy lane to a friend's house and when I tried out the AWD by trying to accelerate I didn't get the same "feel" of AWD an I had in my previous two Jeeps, and 85 and a 92, both with 2WD, AWD(??), & 4X4. 4X4 low also which I never used.

So I came home and put the RX up on four jackstands and discovered that there was virtually no drive to the rear wheels. To verify that I placed a 1x2 light pine board through each the rear wheels to prevent them front turning, safely. Then I started the RX, put it in drive and was able to raise the engine RPM substantially, 2500 RPM I think I remember, with the 1x2 only making creaking sound and the front wheels turning cogizant with the engine speed.

Next I did the same thing in reverse, 1x2's blocking the front wheels. I no more than raised the throttle above idle when both 1x2's snapped.

I published these findings on the internet and got lots of naysayers disputing my testing procedure so I took the RX to nearby Redmond and had the testing done on a four wheel dynamometer. The results were the same, using the rear dyno to brake the rear wheels the engine seemed totally free to drive the front wheels alone. The rear dyno braking had so little effect on engine loading the HP/torque delivered to the rear could not be measured.It ended up taking a matter of tens of seconds before the viscous fluid heated up enough to couple even ~25% of the engine torque to the rear wheels.

As likely most of you know the VC was dropped entirely in 04 in favor of using only brake torque apportioning. The Trac system is used to apply braking to any wheel or wheels that slip/spin beyond the level of the current roadspeed determined by the speedometer or in the case of AWD wherein all 4 might spin simultaneously the accelerometer.

Once the brakes are used in this manner if the condition persists then the engine will be dethrottled (fuel stavation prior to 04, DBW thereafter) to prevent the braking action from overheating the rotors. Since the ABS pumpmotor is relatively smallish, fractional HP, about the same as drive your windshield wipers, it would ordinarily overheat quickly so a 45 second timer limits the period of continuous or semi-continuous use of the RX330 series AWD system.

So if you wish to use wheelspin, rocking back and forth to get unstuck you will need to disable the Trac system first. Simply unplug the MAF/IAT sensor module on the intake downstream of the air filter, let the engine die, plug it back in. You will get a CEL & VSC trouble light but now the Trac will not interfere with intentional wheelspin.

The indications will extinguish after about 4 drive cycles.

I notice that the new RX350 has the VC again but I haven't been able to find out anything about how it might interact, or not, with Trac.

"The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection"

RELENTLESS..............
Is RX350's drive train any different than 330? Side to side? That is the first I even heard that torque can be delivered differently on the same axel with RX. Could you please offer me an URL to describe how this is achieved?
I am eager to see either Lexus' or an independent test to reveal RX's ability to distribute between driver and passenger side on the same axel. Please don't tell me it is TRAC, which applies brake, as in reducing power by wasting energy into heat, selectively. MDX is channeling power to where it needs the most, not wasting it.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 12-17-06 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-17-06, 06:45 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I don't think that 410 watt 10 speaker system is standard. I believe it's one of the options. By the same token, the Lexus has a Mark Levinson system as an option. I believe the ML system is better than the one in the MDX...for me at least. I am into high fidelity and quality and I could care less about 410 watts. I think the ML is higher fidelity (which even plays DVD Audio Discs) than the 410 watt system in the MDX. Of course this is all my opinion and some will prefer the MDX audio system.

What all technology are you guys referring to that the MDX has? The AWD may be slightly better on the MDX but I would never even take that into consideration when deciding between the two. The RX350 AWD system is very good. Sure the MDX may have a slightly better NAV and or voice recognition...but let me tell you the one in the new '07 Lexus is spectacular. The Lexus has as options Laser Cruise, Panorama roof, Height adjustable air suspension. I really don't think the MDX is 5 years ahead of the RX. The only thing the RX doesn't have is the real time traffic on the Nav.

We recently bought an '07 RX350 and it was way way ahead of the competition in terms of high tech features and options and price.

I agree with you that the handling on the MDX is prob better than the RX. But let me tell you, you can take care of that problem with some sport springs for $300.

Other advantages of the RX350:
-More Luxurious (lets face it, the MDX may be more sport but the lexus will be more luxury)
-Better Fuel Economy. The RX350 is best in class and about 2-3 mpg better than MDX.
-Better fit/finish/reliability. I can say this because the MDX just came out. It's just not going to be as solid as the Lexus. Even after that, I think Lexus is once again best in the industry in this area in general.
-Better price. People are getting the Lexus right now for invoice. You can get a fully optioned out Lexus probably cheaper than the base MDX.

Kan-O-Z
The reason I included the 410 watt sound system when discussing the MDX was b/c it was the closest I could get the two models in terms of options packages. The "Technology Package" on the MDX includes the better stereo and Navigation (w/Bluetooth). That is how I came up with price differences.

The Mark Levinson system in the RX line is hardly better than the base stereo in the RX ... 3 more speakers, NO subwoofer, and 210 watts vs 132 watts (in the base model). The ELS system in the Acura MDX is FAR better and tests by the pro reviewers agree. That being said, the Levinson in the RX is the weakest of all the Lexus models.

The technology advantages I'm talking about are from the factory XM radio (doesn't have to be added on by the dealer ... add at least $300 to the price of the RX you would compare to the MDX for the XM ... you could also add $1500 more for the Levinson sound system if we're trying to compare them as closely as possible ... there's $1800 right there). And the AWD system is more advanced in the MDX even though Lexus improved the AWD system for 2007 in the RX line. The navigation in the Acura is head and shoulders above the Lexus ... I have checked both out extensively. Plus the fact you have the audio input (iPod) and that you can throw an iPod link in there as well (as an accessory ($250) that allows you to manage your iPod through the stereo controls and charges it as well.

Remember you're talking to someone who owns an RX 330 ... I'm not out to "get" Lexus here.

I'm not sure I find the Lexus more luxurious anymore ... the seats are quite comfy in the MDX, but I believe they may not wear as well. The wood looks better to my younger eye in the Acura as well ... not as garish = not as noticeable ... personally I could do without wood altogether and would appreciate an aluminum/carbon trim moreso.

Lexus may have some options like panoramic moon roof, laser cruise, and height adjustable suspension (over-rated imho ... plus Acura has a "Sport Package" that has an adjustable ride as well), yet you rarely find them on an RX anywhere ... must be special ordered.

I will give you that Lexus's reliability will probably win out over time (plus the slight fuel economy advantage -- less horsepower, smaller size, lower towing capacity too) ... plus there's concern about the MDX since it's a first year model, but have you looked that close at the 2007 Acura MDXs?

It might just be b/c I'm younger (31) than Lexus's average buyer, but as far as an overall ride and mix of sport and luxury the Acura MDX wins out for me. The concerns I have are the ones you had as well about long-term reliability, but I wasn't as happy with my RX as far as service visits as I'd thought I'd be (probably had it in 4-5 times in 2 years).

Another disappointment I've had with my RX is premature tire wear (imho). I also felt like I didn't get around the best in the snow, but the new AWD system for 2007 probably helps that out. It's mostly a tire deal anyhow.
Old 12-17-06, 06:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

A lot of people complain about how Acura's leather isn't as soft as Lexus. People associate "softness" with "quality", which isn't true at all. Acura's leather may not feel as soft as Lexus, but it's more resistant to stretching and creasing. I dont like how my seat leaves my butt imprint after I get out of the car.

I honestly never compare reliability in these cases because each car will be very reliable. The Acura will be mainly trouble-free far past it's warranty interval.

Either vehicle would make a fine choice. If I had one choice, I would take the MDX for its SH-AWD and sportiness because it suits me better.
Old 12-17-06, 07:30 PM
GoodDrivin
Driver School Candidate

Default My rx experience

I just recently bought an awd rx350. Right before I went to go buy it, I stopped by to test drive an 07mdx to make sure I would be happy with the rx. Let me tell you, I am very happy with the rx. First of all, it's a different ride from the mdx. The mdx corners great, almost like my g35, but the rx definitely has the more comfortable ride. It's kind of a cushy ride, something I wanted since it'll be the main baby transporter. Cornering on the rx is surprisingly good, it feels pretty gripped to the road at all times.

Price wise, the rx was about 5k less for comparable options. I do have to say, I would love a fully tricked out mdx, but you will easily have to pay 50k+ttl for that. I got my rx with just the navi+prempkg. But if I had gotten the mdx, I would have gotten the RES too, cause it's a lot slicker in it's implemenation than the rx. On the other hand, the navi on the rx is a whole lot easier to use than the mdx. Why anyone in their right mind would want to use a joystick rather than touch screen is beyond me. Having suffered with my infiniti joystick navi for a couple years, I will never buy another navi without touchscreen. It's just not easy to type in an address with a joystick.

If you have a baby or a child and don't need the 7 seater, then get the rx. If you want the latest in gadets, have a bit more money to burn and don't own another sports car, get the tricked out mdx.
Old 12-17-06, 07:39 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
A lot of people complain about how Acura's leather isn't as soft as Lexus. People associate "softness" with "quality", which isn't true at all. Acura's leather may not feel as soft as Lexus, but it's more resistant to stretching and creasing. I dont like how my seat leaves my butt imprint after I get out of the car.
Acura's leather in the new 2007 MDXs is MUCH softer than the RX ... I do feel it'll wear a lot more quickly though. I feel like the new interior on the MDX looks more upscale and less "plastic-like" than the RX.
Old 12-17-06, 08:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

very interesting! I guess Honda changed the recipe for their leather seats now to make it more plush, therefore tricking some people into thinking its higher quality.
Old 12-17-06, 08:26 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoodDrivin
I just recently bought an awd rx350. Right before I went to go buy it, I stopped by to test drive an 07mdx to make sure I would be happy with the rx. Let me tell you, I am very happy with the rx. First of all, it's a different ride from the mdx. The mdx corners great, almost like my g35, but the rx definitely has the more comfortable ride. It's kind of a cushy ride, something I wanted since it'll be the main baby transporter. Cornering on the rx is surprisingly good, it feels pretty gripped to the road at all times.

Price wise, the rx was about 5k less for comparable options. I do have to say, I would love a fully tricked out mdx, but you will easily have to pay 50k+ttl for that. I got my rx with just the navi+prempkg. But if I had gotten the mdx, I would have gotten the RES too, cause it's a lot slicker in it's implemenation than the rx. On the other hand, the navi on the rx is a whole lot easier to use than the mdx. Why anyone in their right mind would want to use a joystick rather than touch screen is beyond me. Having suffered with my infiniti joystick navi for a couple years, I will never buy another navi without touchscreen. It's just not easy to type in an address with a joystick.

If you have a baby or a child and don't need the 7 seater, then get the rx. If you want the latest in gadets, have a bit more money to burn and don't own another sports car, get the tricked out mdx.
I would've agreed with you on the MDX's lack of touch-screen, but after messing around with it some it really works well ... especially when you consider that the voice-recognition on the MDX is better than the RX and when it comes down to it you only will need that most of the time.

If you're talking about price as in what you can negotiate, I'd agree with you on the difference (even though that's still not quite accurate -- see below).

MSRP 2007 Lexus RX -- $47,165 (built on kbb.com + XM added on)
-- Navigation, etc.
-- Say you added the Levinson just to give them as equal of stereos as possible
-- XM radio add-on from Lexus Dealer (+$300)

$43,722 -- what kbb says you can get the car for

MSRP 2007 Acura MDX -- $44,459 (built on kbb.com)
-- Technology Package (Nav, ELS sound system)
-- Added the night/day mirror (+$300 -- to try to keep them packaged as closely as possible)

$44,200 -- what kbb says you can get the car for

----------------------------------------------

Lexus RX extras (what it has the Acura doesn't ... AS BUILT ABOVE):
-- Power rear liftgate (available on the MDX with the Entertainment Package -- Entertainment Pkg on the Acura includes Rear DVD system, power rear liftgate, heated rear seats -- $2200)
-- AFS (the Acura has HID lights ... but not AFS ... offers auto-leveling lights on "Sport" package)

Acura MDX extras:
-- iPod auxillary jack
-- 3rd Row Seat

-----------------------------------------------

Here are my opinions regardless of what's listed above. THESE ARE OPINIONS ... The Acura would have a substantially better stereo (much, much better), technically better AWD system, a better Navigation system all around. The Tire Pressure Sensors on the Acura are a little more detailed as well (gives a readout of the actual tire pressure). Plus you get more room and a larger car (could be looked at as a negative) ... more cargo space. Newer styling, fresher look. The tires on the Acura seem like they'd wear better also.

First year of a new model is always a chance ... Lexus service (varies from dealer to dealer) is hard to beat. Reliability of Lexus can be greatly attested to, but Acura is not far behind ... lots of this is marketing managed as well. I had more problems with my Lexus than I would've anticipated concerning clunks, rattles, and tranny jumpiness. The Lexus does have slightly better fuel economy (RX -- 18/24; MDX -- 17/22), but the Acura puts out more horsepower as well. The MDX is 3-4" longer than the RX and about 6" wider I believe.

A lot of this is personal opinon ... I would imagine my age makes me like the new aggressive styling of the MDX moreso. The iPod jack, clearly better stereo, slightly more sporty drive really appeal to me.

I am thinking pretty hard about trading in my RX 330 for a 2007 Acura MDX.

Last edited by Husker4the; 12-17-06 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-17-06, 08:34 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

The ELS sound system in the MDX plays all of those formats as well and is surround sound and DVD-A capable as well.

210 watts vs 410 watts ... kind of ILS measurements by both (If Lightning Strikes), but the Acura's sound system BLEW AWAY the Mark Levinson when I listened to them back to back after adjustments ... just the fact there are subwoofers alone makes a HUGE difference.

My biggest guilt about possibly getting the MDX is the fuel economy I'd be giving up since my 2nd choice is the RX 400h. Basically that is the ONLY thing that keeps me looking at the RX though b/c I have ZERO inclination to buy a new RX 350. The updates in 2-3 months might make me feel like I have an "old" model as well as the fact the whole line will be updated in about a year and a half.
Old 12-17-06, 09:14 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Husker4the
I would've agreed with you on the MDX's lack of touch-screen, but after messing around with it some it really works well ... especially when you consider that the voice-recognition on the MDX is better than the RX and when it comes down to it you only will need that most of the time.

If you're talking about price as in what you can negotiate, I'd agree with you on the difference (even though that's still not quite accurate -- see below).

MSRP 2007 Lexus RX -- $47,165 (built on kbb.com + XM added on)
-- Navigation, etc.
-- Say you added the Levinson just to give them as equal of stereos as possible
-- XM radio add-on from Lexus Dealer (+$300)

$43,722 -- what kbb says you can get the car for

MSRP 2007 Acura MDX -- $44,459 (built on kbb.com)
-- Technology Package (Nav, ELS sound system)
-- Added the night/day mirror (+$300 -- to try to keep them packaged as closely as possible)

$44,200 -- what kbb says you can get the car for

----------------------------------------------

Lexus RX extras (what it has the Acura doesn't ... AS BUILT ABOVE):
-- Power rear liftgate (available on the MDX with the Entertainment Package -- Entertainment Pkg on the Acura includes Rear DVD system, power rear liftgate, heated rear seats -- $2200)
-- AFS (the Acura has HID lights ... but not AFS ... offers auto-leveling lights on "Sport" package)

Acura MDX extras:
-- iPod auxillary jack

-----------------------------------------------

Here are my opinions regardless of what's listed above. THESE ARE OPINIONS ... The Acura would have a substantially better stereo (much, much better), technically better AWD system, a better Navigation system all around. The Tire Pressure Sensors on the Acura are a little more detailed as well (gives a readout of the actual tire pressure). Plus you get more room and a larger car (could be looked at as a negative) ... more cargo space. Newer styling, fresher look. The tires on the Acura seem like they'd wear better also.

First year of a new model is always a chance ... Lexus service (varies from dealer to dealer) is hard to beat. Reliability of Lexus can be greatly attested to, but Acura is not far behind ... lots of this is marketing managed as well. I had more problems with my Lexus than I would've anticipated concerning clunks, rattles, and tranny jumpiness. The Lexus does have slightly better fuel economy (RX -- 18/24; MDX -- 17/22), but the Acura puts out more horsepower as well.

A lot of this is personal opinon ... I would imagine my age makes me like the new aggressive styling of the MDX moreso. The iPod jack, clearly better stereo, slightly more sporty drive really appeal to me.

I am thinking pretty hard about trading in my RX 330 for a 2007 Acura MDX.
I'd like to correct you on the fact that interior space is very comparable between the two. Go look up the dimensions. Cargo room is 1 cu. ft. bigger on the RX!

There are Ipod integration kits out for the RX350 as well for around $300 range. They allow you to fully integrate the ipod and use the nav and steering wheel controls to control the ipod.

The audio on the RX (even the base audio system) is spectacular in my opinion. It DOES lack bass but if you are not a bass freak, you will really appreciate the high fidelity of the sound. It is so much better than most Bose systems. Most Bose systems sound muddy to me and there is too much uncontrollable bass. Bose is not even a highly regarded brand when it comes to real audio and audiophiles, its really a joke. It's not about watts and number of speakers...at least for me. It's all about how it really sounds (and I'm not talking about how much bass it can pump or how loud it can get). I used to be into the 'numbers' when I was younger until I bought NHT home audio speakers for my home. I bought two for $1000 each and let me tell you, it is absolutely stunning. And no, it doesn't shake the whole house, it's all about quality of the sound. If you are a bass freak, you can easily add a sub to the RX for a few hundred $ and still be a good $4k ahead of the MDX in price.

I don't know how the AWD is on the RX330 but I can tell you that on the RX350, it cannot be 95/5 normally (unless the system is so good that it can tranfer the torque to the rear before there is even a chance for slippage). Case in point: I can practically floor the car making a right turn pulling out into traffic. NO Torque steer, no wheel spin, nothing but great acceleration on a sharp right hand turn. And strong acceleration it is I might add! I guess when it comes to AWD, I really don't even care what the front/rear bias is. If it can drive this good and is always so well grounded no matter what I throw at the car, and it handles spectacular in the snow....that's all I really care about. The MDX may have a better system but once again, the RX is so good I probably woudn't even notice a better system.

By the way the prices you posted are accurate except for the fact that cannot be seen in those figures is the incredible deals out there on the RX. You will easily save $5k over the MDX. Many invoice deals out there on the RX, but not so on the MDX since it is so new.

If you have the RX330, you should probably go with the MDX since it will be something comnpletely different. I went with the RX350 and I am amazingly happy with it. By the way I have driven the RX330 and I must say those 40-50 extra hp really transform the car. The car has amazing power and fuel economy for it's size. It's also the most luxurious ride I have ever had and it feels like butter on the road...so quiet and so smooth. The RX really caught me off gaurd. My wife wanted it and I thought I would never like it and boy was I wrong. By the way, I am 31 and used to own a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-17-06, 09:30 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I'd like to correct you on the fact that interior space is very comparable between the two. Go look up the dimensions. Cargo room is 1 cu. ft. bigger on the RX!

I've ran into this # problem many times when looking at cars ... the way they measure is VERY suspect ... I do know that I put 4 sets of golf clubs in the back of my RX and it is VERY tight ... looking at the MDX there would've been plenty of room left over.

There are Ipod integration kits out for the RX350 as well for around $300 range. They allow you to fully integrate the ipod and use the nav and steering wheel controls to control the ipod.

Yet still no REGULAR audio jack available like in the Acura (center console) ... you can get an iPod link through Acura as well for $300.

The audio on the RX (even the base audio system) is spectacular in my opinion. It DOES lack bass but if you are not a bass freak, you will really appreciate the high fidelity of the sound. It is so much better than most Bose systems. Most Bose systems sound muddy to me and there is too much uncontrollable bass. Bose is not even a highly regarded brand when it comes to real audio and audiophiles, its really a joke. It's not about watts and number of speakers...at least for me. It's all about how it really sounds (and I'm not talking about how much bass it can pump or how loud it can get). I used to be into the 'numbers' when I was younger until I bought NHT home audio speakers for my home. I bought two for $1000 each and let me tell you, it is absolutely stunning. And no, it doesn't shake the whole house, it's all about quality of the sound. If you are a bass freak, you can easily add a sub to the RX for a few hundred $ and still be a good $4k ahead of the MDX in price.

I'm a big sound person (but not a bass head) and the system in the RX is very lacking relatively speaking imho. My two friends who test drove with me the other day agreed that the sound system in the Acura was light years above my base RX stereo. Check out any professional review and they'll tell you the Acura is clearly better. If you sit in the rear of my RX 330, the sound is especially lousy regardless of what setting you have it on (Driver, Front, Rear, or All).

I don't know how the AWD is on the RX330 but I can tell you that on the RX350, it cannot be 95/5 normally (unless the system is so good that it can tranfer the torque to the rear before there is even a chance for slippage). Case in point: I can practically floor the car making a right turn pulling out into traffic. NO Torque steer, no wheel spin, nothing but great acceleration on a sharp right hand turn. And strong acceleration it is I might add! I guess when it comes to AWD, I really don't even care what the front/rear bias is. If it can drive this good and is always so well grounded no matter what I throw at the car, and it handles spectacular in the snow....that's all I really care about. The MDX may have a better system but once again, the RX is so good I probably woudn't even notice a better system.

I understand the AWD system for the 350 is improved over the 330. My friend is a car freak and looking at the tech numbers, he says the MDX would outperform the RX ... I agree with you though that it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

I can't wait to hear from you when you're replacing the tires on the RX b/t 20,000-25,000 miles. That's another advantage for the MDX imho.

By the way the prices you posted are accurate except for the fact that cannot be seen in those figures is the incredible deals out there on the RX. You will easily save $5k over the MDX. Many invoice deals out there on the RX, but not so on the MDX since it is so new.

Not everyone on here will be getting an invoice deal on an RX (but that will become more likely as the 2008s come out in February) ... some people will get more off of the MDX than kbb claims as well. In general I rarely hear about anyone getting more than $1000 off of the MDX for now ... so I give you the overall nod there. The difference is I feel I'd be getting my money's worth in the MDX for that price difference.

If you have the RX330, you should probably go with the MDX since it will be something comnpletely different. I went with the RX350 and I am amazingly happy with it. By the way I have driven the RX330 and I must say those 40-50 extra hp really transform the car. The car has amazing power and fuel economy for it's size. It's also the most luxurious ride I have ever had and it feels like butter on the road...so quiet and so smooth. The RX really caught me off gaurd. My wife wanted it and I thought I would never like it and boy was I wrong. By the way, I am 31 and used to own a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

Kan-O-Z

I agree with you ... the 47hp increase can really be felt in the 350 over the 330. I am glad you are enjoying your car ... THANK YOUR WIFE
I replied above in blue ...
Old 12-17-06, 09:43 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I'd like to correct you on your cargo #s ...

Acura MDX (behind 2nd row seat) ...

-- 42.5 cu ft

Lexus RX 350 (behind 2nd row seat ... rear seats slid all the way forward -- which you wouldn't want to do with 4 people in the car most likely, trust me) ...

-- 38.3 cu ft

Quick Reply: Anyone Consider 2007 Acura MDX?